01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    mopsy
    Participant

What Curious said.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I have no intention of using the photo, I just thought it was funny and kind of appropriate. The walk produced a bunch of usable photos and a lot of curious looks.

ravnostic
    Participant

Difficulty: No selective desaturation or other post-processing tricks to create the effect.

Here’s a different thought. Can I increase the saturation across the whole image? Shot works fine without it, but really pops if I bump up the saturation. Concrete is the photographer’s wannabe B/W friend. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m not the mod but in general, effects that apply evenly across the entire image are okay as long as they don’t produce unnatural results. And to answer your other question about inversion, plenty of people used inversion in the original Color Popping theme so I’ve no reason to think you can’t.

mopsy
    Participant

Yes to both ravnostic. I just brightened the white background in one of mine. Like Kestrana said, as long as it is applied evenly across the entire image. And concrete is a great idea!!! I knew you would come up with something interesting!!!

ravnostic
    Participant

Yes to both ravnostic. I just brightened the white background in one of mine. Like Kestrana said, as long as it is applied evenly across the entire image. And concrete is a great idea!!! I knew you would come up with something interesting!!!

I give total credit to Kes on the inversion idea, I’d have never thunk it had she not mentioned it–although as it turns out, my grey rocks STILL have not found a contest home 🙁 (I think I have better options, with my photo excursion shots today.)

As for concrete…I kinda think there will be lots of that, I just hope mine is comparable to others (okay–I hope it’s bett-ar, but who am I kidding? The competitors in this forum are not to be underestimated!! :shock:)

Mopsy, you may expect an PM from me with my potentials before the contest goes live–just to be sure I’m not out of bounds or anything like that. Maybe even tonight–I have to regear my clock to a night schedule before Wednesday, having regeared to a day schedule for various reasons, so I’ll be up late.]

My discovery of the ‘lost’ filters I got with my camera is, I think, a real boon. This contest, and “5 is Right Out”, had me really stressing–both are themes in which I didn’t think I could do well, comparatively. Final decisions aren’t made yet (there’s still time for ‘5IRO’, and certainly for ‘CPN’, of course), but I really feel like I’m starting to get ‘a groove on’.

//Voters, of course, may disagree. But then, I’m learning it’s about MY growth as a photographer, and MY satisfaction with my pictures.

///as long as I can keep my averages steady or climbing. 8)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, just to clarify. The theme description says this:

Take a photo that appears to be black and white/grayscale with the exception of one object or color.

Certainly the one object or color could be located in the “background,” but the theme wording suggests it should be a single object or single color, not multiple objects of the same type just colored differently, or a multi-colored background with grayscale foreground/objects. It just sounds like we’re going to now allow for a lot more colors than the theme wording allows for, but maybe I’m confused by the different examples being offered.

ravnostic
    Participant

Take a photo that appears to be black and white/grayscale with the exception of one object or color.

Certainly the one object or color could be located in the “background,” but the theme wording suggests it should be a single object or single color, not multiple objects of the same type just colored differently, or a multi-colored background with grayscale foreground/objects. It just sounds like we’re going to now allow for a lot more colors than the theme wording allows for, but maybe I’m confused by the different examples being offered.

I’m going for one element beyond the black/white/grey (one object) or one background beyond it. If a red rose were the color element, there will be different hues of red, depending on whether a petal is in direct light, or shadowed behind another petal. And I suppose the stem may be somewhat in the frame, which would appear green.

For backgrounds, imagine a bokehed green field beyond an aged-grey wooden fence–there would be variation to the green, to some extent.

Neither are shots I’ve taken or planned, but this is my understanding of the theme, and how I’ve (thus-far) been directing my efforts. Am I misunderstanding incorrectly?

LeicaLens
    Participant

Hmm, reading that, it seems that the one object could be multi-coloured.
    Is that right? I didn’t think that was in the original spirit of the theme, but I could be wrong. Confirmation, anyone.

For the record, my original post about “allowing” more colour was actually more concerned with the definition or range of greyscale. When I was looking at some shots I had taken with this in mind, I got to realising that concrete isn’t exactly greyscale. It has a colour of its own.
    To show better what I mean, the first example probably wouldn’t qualify anyway because of the orange rust stains, but the concrete itself is not exactly greyscale:

The second example might not qualify because there are flecks of some other colour other than the pinky-red petals, but to my interpretation only the pinky-red is “popping”.

I would appreciate other people’s opinions on whether pictures like these match the theme or not.
    Pretty please.

mopsy
    Participant

Leicalens, maybe I’m too easy, but I think both of those are fine. I was trying to decide about an orange mushroom in the woods with mostly black twigs, dark shadows and mud around it. I too was worried about a slight brown tone to a couple of the twigs and it’s my theme. The mushroom is definitely popping, just like in your blue on concrete and the flower petals. What say the rest of you.

mopsy
    Participant

Leical, I just had another thought about your blue pipes. If you cropped the right hand side past the rust, you would not have an issue.

ravnostic
    Participant

here’s one of my wanna-beez:

yes? no? There’s variation in color, but it’s one object, and that’s going to happen, no?

Another example is blue sky as a background–angle is everything in a blue sky color, even though it’s all ‘blue’.

orionid
    Participant

Is that right? I didn’t think that was in the original spirit of the theme, but I could be wrong. Confirmation, anyone.

I was under the impression that that would be fine, as in the original color popping. An easy-to-mind example would be a bright, multi-colored flag or kite on a background of grey skies.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Leical, I just had another thought about your blue pipes. If you cropped the right hand side past the rust, you would not have an issue.

Right. The picture I posted was actually straight from the camera, albeit resized. If I were to use it, I would crop out the rust. However, I’m not sure that some blue pipes will really garner the votes 😉
    Anyway, thanks for responding; it gives me a much better idea of what goes.
    My own feeling on this is that the pictures will speak for themselves, and if the voters feel that a colour isn’t really popping, they won’t vote for it.
    That may be too optimistic of me…

LeicaLens
    Participant

I was under the impression that that would be fine, as in the original color popping. An easy-to-mind example would be a bright, multi-colored flag or kite on a background of grey skies.

Ah. That I didn’t know.
    Useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.