01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos that probably will not get many votes, but that you like anyways. Difficulty: No pets or family.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, corsec67!

linguine
    Participant

Since my photos often come in the opposite order I think they will should I be entering photos I think will do well?

corsec67
    Participant

Since my photos often come in the opposite order I think they will should I be entering photos I think will do well?

I am pretty sure that is why I suggested this theme. I was annoyed with always having that experience.

mopsy
    Participant

We need to submit new photos, correct? Not ones we thought would do well and did not in a previous theme.

mopsy
    Participant

Oops, sorry, I have another question. How do we vote? For the ones that we think should do poorly. In other words the worst picture wins! OR we could reverse 1st place to last place. Now that’s a novel idea! 😉

olavf
    Participant

I’d assumed that new photos are the order of the day.

As far as my subs and voting, I’ve been planning on going with stuff that I like, but I don’t think would do well in a Farktography contest. Kinda like a ‘B-sides’, but not limited to past themes.

orionid
    Participant

I’m definitely going with at least one stereoscopic. I love them, but they tend to get no voting love.

I need to get out and shoot some more 3D. I haven’t done it in a while.

Edited to add: Oh, yeah! And some moody black and white.

lokisbong
    Participant

I should be able to just post as usual. My pictures never seem to do very good regardless of how I think they will do. Except the spider from the heebie jeebies theme.

justkat
    Participant

There’s one picture I thought of immediately when i heard of this contest — otherwise I might have used it for clusterfark — that I really really love and, as it breaks some “rules” I think a lot of other people would go “wtf were you thinking?” even though it turned out exactly the way I wanted it to lol. I’d be tickled pink if it did well.

And I have one more so far. As for the third pic? Archive diving time! 😉 Prolly one of my silly perspective twisting or depth of field pix.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

I should be able to just post as usual. My pictures never seem to do very good regardless of how I think they will do. Except the spider from the heebie jeebies theme.

I hear that.

The highest voted picture I’ve ever submitted was of a spiral staircase outline. I’m still clueless over that one- I always think my best pictures are the ones that do poorly. You never know what other people will like.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Is there any reason why family and pets aren’t allowed?

Not that I have a problem with it, I just wondered if there was any particular reason, such as a avoiding a direction you don’t want the competition to go in.

corsec67
    Participant

Is there any reason why family and pets aren’t allowed?

My thinking on that difficulty was that generally people have significant emotional attachment to their family or pets, and wanted something a tad bit more interesting. Otherwise it would probably end up being a “My cats: let me show them to you” theme, and I wanted something different from that.

I was going for styles of pictures, like orionid‘s 3D pictures and my pictures of models, for example.

I might enter some of my Infrared stuff as well.

LeicaLens
    Participant

My thinking on that difficulty was that generally people have significant emotional attachment to their family or pets, and wanted something a tad bit more interesting. Otherwise it would probably end up being a “My cats: let me show them to you” theme, and I wanted something different from that.

I was going for styles of pictures, like orionid‘s 3D pictures and my pictures of models, for example.

I might enter some of my Infrared stuff as well.

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean. You are likely to get lots of “Here’s my dog/cat/rabbit/hamster/piranha. I think he’s cute, but you may not” pictures.

It does raise the question of what to select. Is there any need to ask for an explanation of why the submitter doesn’t think it will gain votes?

As for IR, do you use film or digital? I really want to give that area of photography a try, but it looks costly and difficult if done with film. Digital looks tricky due to the IR filter most DSLRs have in front of the sensor.

corsec67
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean. You are likely to get lots of “Here’s my dog/cat/rabbit/hamster/piranha. I think he’s cute, but you may not” pictures.

It does raise the question of what to select. Is there any need to ask for an explanation of why the submitter doesn’t think it will gain votes?

As for IR, do you use film or digital? I really want to give that area of photography a try, but it looks costly and difficult if done with film. Digital looks tricky due to the IR filter most DSLRs have in front of the sensor.

Hmm, a pet piranha? That leads me to a theme suggestion

What to select: stuff that you like, but don’t think would do well in a normal contest. Of course, there is a temptation to select stuff that will do well, so this ends up being mostly a free-for-all.

For the IR, I modified a camera(Fujifilm F20) to only do IR by replacing that high-pass filter with a low-pass filter, so it is expensive (The cost of 1 camera, if done successfully).

LeicaLens
    Participant

For the IR, I modified a camera(Fujifilm F20) to only do IR by replacing that high-pass filter with a low-pass filter, so it is expensive (The cost of 1 camera, if done successfully).

Ah, you modified a digital camera. Did you put in a replacement filter so you can shoot both IR and normal, or is it fully IR (not needing a Hoya R72 or similar filter on the lens)?

I look forward to seeing your IR stuff anyway. It is something I want to have a go at this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • The topic ‘01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways’ is closed to new replies.