01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

voting should prove weird this week.

justkat
    Participant

I suspect that the horse is fine. I think “house pets” was more the spirit of the limitation.

olavf
    Participant

I suspect Fark hates me.

/It’s not paranoia if they’re really out to get you, right?
    right?

clouddancer
    Participant

I plunged in and posted 2. I didn’t want to have too many flowers flooding the screen. Of the ones w/o family, flowers are my favorites, not sure why since I have no green thumb and am not inclined toward such things whatsoever.

U-Man
    Participant

I didn’t even consider my horsie a pet. He/she was at the kiddie area in a zoo.

I took the difficulty to be no pics of my pets or family. Corsec67 wrote – My thinking on that difficulty was that generally people have significant emotional attachment to their family or pets, and wanted something a tad bit more interesting. Otherwise it would probably end up being a “My cats: let me show them to you” theme, and I wanted something different from that. Mopsy took her bird pic at a store. IMO her photo is not a ‘pet snapshot’.

That being said, if it would make life easier – like, by not playing favorites – I’d be willing to pull my horse pic. I don’t really want to (and I’ll whine about it when you least expect me to 🙂 ) but I’ll 86 it. What do youse guys think?

corsec67
    Participant

I didn’t even consider my horsie a pet. He/she was at the kiddie area in a zoo.

I took the difficulty to be no pics of my pets or family. Corsec67 wrote – My thinking on that difficulty was that generally people have significant emotional attachment to their family or pets, and wanted something a tad bit more interesting. Otherwise it would probably end up being a “My cats: let me show them to you” theme, and I wanted something different from that. Mopsy took her bird pic at a store. IMO her photo is not a ‘pet snapshot’.

That being said, if it would make life easier – like, by not playing favorites – I’d be willing to pull my horse pic. I don’t really want to (and I’ll whine about it when you least expect me to 🙂 ) but I’ll 86 it. What do youse guys think?

You are right in that my thinking was no family or pets of the photographer’s. So, the entires in question would work for me.
    But, I also think this is like golf (This contest in many more ways…) in that we should play it as it lies, so I think the decision about that should be based on the description of the theme, or left up to the voters.

My entries aren’t doing that well here, does that mean I win, or fail in an contest about failing…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I tend to be pretty literal with the descriptions since the vast majority of participants don’t read these threads to know the subtleties we discuss here. However, I can deal with the “no pets” means “no pets of the photographer’s” means a petting zoo horse is fair (I think there’s an argument to be made that it’s not truly a pet).

I’m still iffy about pet store birds…they’re definitely meant as pets, yes? On the other hand, non-family people are allowable, even of those non-family people are close friends we have significant emotional attachment to, so I guess there’s an argument to be made for pets-owned-by-someone-other-than-the-photographer being fair game.

It is way too early for me to be overthinking this THIS much. So I think I’ll go with corsec’s “play it as it lies” and restore Mopsy’s.

U-Man
    Participant

Cool.

I agree with corsec’s comment about the irony of doing well in a theme where others aren’t ‘supposed’ to like the pic. 🙂 Wierd.

justkat
    Participant

Apparently my enjoyment of photographing dead things is wrong after all. Not a single vote 😯 Usually I can manage to gather one vote for each of my pix by thursday morning.

I’m with Corsec. Does that mean I win or fail at this contest? 😛 And Corsec, I’m sure you’ve noticed the sig line I’ve had since I signed up at farktography…. 😉

Wouldn’t it be funny if we instructed FSM to tally this contest backwards and give the least amount of votes the highest places? (doing it at fark would be too obvious… heeheehee)

soosh
    Participant

I always vote for my own shots. If I didn’t feel they were worth a vote, why put them out there?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol kat!! 😆 And I’m with you…I’m fail winning myself…or is that win failing?

olavf
    Participant

Can’t win for losing?

cameraflage
    Participant

Trust me, the Amish do not treat their animals like pets.

SilverStag
    Participant

I always vote for my own shots. If I didn’t feel they were worth a vote, why put them out there?

Exactly. Plus, the FSM doesn’t see a pic unless it has at least one vote, or something like that. So, I always vote for mine first. I’ll come back later and vote for other deserving entries.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Trust me, the Amish do not treat their animals like pets.

Yeah, that’s why I corrected myself and said a team of horses plowing a field would arguably not be pets.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • The topic ‘01-27-10 – I Like it Anyways’ is closed to new replies.