02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I think they just need to change the voting back to the old system for Farktography anyway. Not sure why but it bugs me to get funny votes for a serious entry. And then there is the whole unvote issue. I have done my small bit to ask them to revert to the old system so if everyone does the same maybe we wont have this issue in the future.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And now for a bit of mystery tinged with controversy. Last night between the 11:30pm and 11:45pm (Farkistan time) scans, 85 votes were removed. For those who may not have noticed, when Fark moved to the Best and Funny voting system, it also turned the vote buttons into toggles, so even long after you’ved voted for an entry, you can come back any time before the contest closes and remove your vote.

You can see it in the voting charts; at 11:30 there were 1449 total votes and at 11:45 there were 1367. But that’s only 82 votes difference, those math whizzes among you are saying, and you’re right, but that reflects 85 votes removed and 3 votes added. Yes, the 3 votes added all went to the same person and I’m not naming names because A) I have no idea if this is the result of a glitch in the voting system, an intentional attempt at manipulation, or just merely coincidence; B) I don’t want to muddy the otherwise friendly waters here; and C) even if intentional, there’s nothing technically illegal about it per the current voting system.

So I did some research to see if this has happened before since moving to the new system. It happened twice to two people during contest #347, 3 times to two people during contest #349, twice to the same person in contest #350, 7 times to three people in contest #351, and of course 85 times across almost everyone in this contest, #352.

Is it an attempt by someone(s) to manipulate the contests? Is it a glitch on Fark’s side? Is it just an absent minded voter who forgot they already voted and isn’t paying attention to that fact that they’re now unvoting instead of voting again? Who knows.

What I do know is that it’s possible, and like I said even legal technically, to cast votes for everyone early in the contest and then come back later at the end of the contest and selectively unvote. What I also know is that I absolutely do not care for this feature of the new voting system, even above and beyond the issue of Funny votes vs Best votes.

What…what?? Ok seriously, I continue to encourage everyone to send Farkbacks about the voting system, as well as post on the Fark Farktography thread. I’m going to ask directly and see if there was a glitch or something up.

ennuipoet
    Participant

And now for a bit of mystery tinged with controversy. Last night between the 11:30pm and 11:45pm (Farkistan time) scans, 85 votes were removed. For those who may not have noticed, when Fark moved to the Best and Funny voting system, it also turned the vote buttons into toggles, so even long after you’ved voted for an entry, you can come back any time before the contest closes and remove your vote.

You can see it in the voting charts; at 11:30 there were 1449 total votes and at 11:45 there were 1367. But that’s only 82 votes difference, those math whizzes among you are saying, and you’re right, but that reflects 85 votes removed and 3 votes added. Yes, the 3 votes added all went to the same person and I’m not naming names because A) I have no idea if this is the result of a glitch in the voting system, an intentional attempt at manipulation, or just merely coincidence; B) I don’t want to muddy the otherwise friendly waters here; and C) even if intentional, there’s nothing technically illegal about it per the current voting system.

So I did some research to see if this has happened before since moving to the new system. It happened twice to two people during contest #347, 3 times to two people during contest #349, twice to the same person in contest #350, 7 times to three people in contest #351, and of course 85 times across almost everyone in this contest, #352.

Is it an attempt by someone(s) to manipulate the contests? Is it a glitch on Fark’s side? Is it just an absent minded voter who forgot they already voted and isn’t paying attention to that fact that they’re now unvoting instead of voting again? Who knows.

What I do know is that it’s possible, and like I said even legal technically, to cast votes for everyone early in the contest and then come back later at the end of the contest and selectively unvote. What I also know is that I absolutely do not care for this feature of the new voting system, even above and beyond the issue of Funny votes vs Best votes.

What…what?? Ok seriously, I continue to encourage everyone to send Farkbacks about the voting system, as well as post on the Fark Farktography thread. I’m going to ask directly and see if there was a glitch or something up.

I am Farkbacking now, but I am doing “Touchy Feely Crap”

ennuipoet
    Participant

My Farkback:

Voting, oh voting, why are you so hard?

OK, as a Photoshopper and a Farktographer I have to say I am not really getting over the new voting system. I KNOW (really, I do, I’ve sat through hundreds of conversations on the PSAEF about the voting and how no one votes for good work and everyone votes for cliches…GOD have I sat through that!) that people asked for a change. I know that you guys did your best to accommodate a prickly audience. I even know that the system devised is the best compromise in what everyone was asking for.

I appreciate what you tried to do.

All of that being said, everyone hates it. By trying to please everyone, you pleased no one. The photoshoppers hate it because the cliches are still getting votes, the Farktographers hate it because what we think are “Best” are getting ‘Funny” votes. The regular Farkers just don’t care because they aren’t tracking their votes for Funniest or Best comments…they are just saying Shiat.

It’s not a tantrum, not a threat to take my Five Dollars and go home, just an observation.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I don’t believe the ‘undo my vote” mechanism is supposed to work they way it’s been described here, so yeah probably a glitch. As I understood it, you have a limited amount of time after voting to “undo” that vote. But it’s on the order of 15 seconds after you hit the vote button. So if you can reverse your vote days later I don’t think that’s what’s supposed to be possible.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s my understanding as well, and what makes me think (hope) this was a random glitch. Regardless, I’ve reported it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Good point, I honestly haven’t tried to unvote after any period of time and it hadn’t occurred to me that it’s timed like that. The other possibility I thought about was if someone got banned/deleted. If they had voted, would their votes disappear? All of these types of questions are why I really tried not to be accusatory in stating the facts, merely pointing out the possibility for abuse along with what actually happened.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks y’all.

I have two pretty good ones for the coming week but I saw a preview one of rav’s and I think he’s bringin’ the stuff. I look forward to what is created.

Hush, you! 8)

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

As I understood it, you have a limited amount of time after voting to “undo” that vote. But it’s on the order of 15 seconds after you hit the vote button.

Just tested that and was able to unvote after 12 hours…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh geez….

I have sent a follow up with the information that this wasn’t just this weekend, but since the voting system changed.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Can’t speak for anyone else, but my top finisher (which was in second for a while, and rode third for even longer has settles in at 5th… whoever’s doing this vote manipulation thing COULD come along and give me a hand. 😉

j/k

The new system sucks. Change it back please. (I know no one here has control over that.)

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yugoboy, the downvotes didn’t hurt you this week (your entry was at 5th when they happened and stayed that way even after), but last week…

User=Yugoboy, ContestID=351, EntryID=74556423, Time=2012-01-29 01:15:00, Votes=33, Place=3
    User=Yugoboy, ContestID=351, EntryID=74556423, Time=2012-01-29 01:30:01, Votes=30, Place=5

That’s one of the things that’s puzzling though and makes me think it’s more likely a glitch of some kind – unless they have multiple accounts, how can one person remove THREE votes from the same entry? And if it’s not one person, then what are the odds that three different people did it within the same 15-minute time period?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yugoboy, the downvotes didn’t hurt you this week (your entry was at 5th when they happened and stayed that way even after), but last week…

User=Yugoboy, ContestID=351, EntryID=74556423, Time=2012-01-29 01:15:00, Votes=33, Place=3
    User=Yugoboy, ContestID=351, EntryID=74556423, Time=2012-01-29 01:30:01, Votes=30, Place=5

That’s one of the things that’s puzzling though and makes me think it’s more likely a glitch of some kind – unless they have multiple accounts, how can one person remove THREE votes from the same entry? And if it’s not one person, then what are the odds that three different people did it within the same 15-minute time period?

What, all of you don’t have half a dozen Alts to improve you’re standings? You guys are behind the times!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ouch…

What, all of you don’t have half a dozen Alts to improve you’re standings? You guys are behind the times!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh THAT’s what I”m doing wrong. Need moar alts lol

lokisbong
    Participant

Ouch…

Ohhhhhhhhhhh THAT’s what I”m doing wrong. Need moar alts lol

I guess that would improve my vote count also but I have a hard enough time keeping just myself sane and I think trying to do the alt thing like some TF types do would be an issue. that and remembering passwords. lol. I hope Fark listens to us about the voting thing and go back but I am not so sure it’s just a glitch. having spent a few minutes in the politics thread has taught me that people can be…less than civil about the most petty things.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘02-01-12 – Go Out and Get Some Strange’ is closed to new replies.