02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Viewing 6 posts - 136 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s a relief about the unvotes. Wonder if the obviously humor-driven themes will fare similarly to Bacon and AvO with top heavy finishes?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, that’s a good question. I don’t know if it’s related to the dual vote system or if it’s just because those are both themes with fewer total entries and outstanding first place entries. In both of those contests, 1st place got about 1.5 times the votes of even 3rd place. Is that because the 1st places were actually that much better or because votes were diverted to Funny? That’s the $64K question.

// Nothing in this post is meant to imply anything about the quality of any submissions.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah dunno. Also wonder if the votes are truly splitting or if they’re partially doubling…as in, I’m sure there are pictures that are receiving both a funny and a best vote from the same person (I’ve voted that way on some entries), and obviously no one could get two votes from the same person before. So when we look at combined best/funny votes, some of those totals probably represent what would otherwise be duplicate votes that wouldn’t have been in the count before the change. I don’t know if/what that implies in the grand scheme of things, though.

Farktographer
    Participant

The whole purpose of “Best/Funny” really comes down to the Farktography and Photoshop contests (sure, there’s the once-in-a-blue-moon Caption or Audio, but for all intents and purposes it seems these are the 2 main camps). If these two camps are really unhappy with the way the voting is, why wouldn’t they change it back? We already know that they have different types of commenting available (Smart/Funny vs. Best/Funny) so what is the harm in granting us our original and keeping the other threads the same (retaining Smart/Funny and giving us back Vote/No Vote)?

My 2 cents. Just doesn’t seem that hard, and it’d make the people who actually participate happier.

Daniel
    Participant

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmanizme/6954072915/[/img]

Daniel
    Participant

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmanizme/6954072915/[/img]

Viewing 6 posts - 136 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch’ is closed to new replies.