02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

U-Man, stumbled across this today while taking a little break, thought the timing was funny and that you and others might as well. Here’s the sci-fi geek’s version of Coexist:

// Really clever idea BTW. Same for fluffy’s gun fight & rav’s Alien.

fluffybunny
    Participant

U-Man, thought you’d like to know that my non-sports-loving wife instantly picked up on the Ali posed Apple and Orange. Well done sir, well done.

Thanks! That really means a lot. I wasn’t sure if *ahem* normal people would get it.

Mopsy and Fluffybunny, the bleeding (juicing?) orange is one of my favs too. Really, really clever AND well executed.

Agreed. I couldn’t see that one last night since images from photobucket are blocked at work.

U-Man and Fluffybunny, I’ve been waiting for a good time to use a real-thread example in my farkback about the voting things. Would either of you mind if I used your performances this week as an example where the voting result could be considerably different with only one vote button?

NOT AT ALL! I assume you mean that fluffy’s lead in the “Funny” category would make things much closer, if not place his photo first,. In a theme like this, funny should weigh a lot more than it does. If anything, the ‘Funny’ button likely steals “real” votes from a pic like Fluffy’s. It probably affected the Bacon theme too. Go get ’em.

Orionid you go right ahead if you please. I was thinking the exact same thing but already blew my farkback wad (two in short succession probably not very nice).

Thanks for the praise Uman, means a lot coming from talent such as yours. Although as is your “normal”, you zigged when we all zagged (with coexist). Brilliant.

CISS, thanks. I’m still thinking about how you would have done Apocalypse Now.

Farktographer
    Participant

Am I the only one that feels like this theme should have garnered more votes than it did? The top contenders seem to be doing about the same as you would expect, but there’s a drastic fall-off after that – or moreso than what I’m used to. Am I just imagining that?

Example: right now, U-man’s “coexist” is at 45 votes; at 10 votes, I have an entry that’s still running in the top 20. Last week’s 1st place (U-man) grabbed 36 votes, but to make it into the top 20 you still needed 20 votes. Seems like a much more gentle slope….

Given, there are fewer entries this week (which also surprised me), but it still seems like a steeper drop than usual. Any thoughts on this? Could be because I’m only looking at “Best” instead of “Funny” votes. This could be one of those that really mucked the waters with the new voting system.

ravnostic
    Participant

farktographer; I’m of the opinion that the ‘casuals’ are just voting for the best-of-best, maybe, and the ‘regulars’ who usually vote more liberally (on good pics as WELL as the best pics) haven’t yet chimed in.

Of course, I’m probably wrong. But that’s the story I’m sticking to.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m wondering if the vote drop off is a case of the “funniest” vote impacting things. Did “Bacon” drop off precipitously too? Maybe the funny themes like this will be more impacted by the two voting options than themes that invite a broader range of entry types.

Barracuda
    Participant

Quick summation on the funny votes puts the total somewhere between 280 and 300ish (hit the wrong key on the calc before I finished), that’s 50% of the current Best vote count, so I’d venture to say that yes, it’s most likely having an impact. Themes like this and Bacon do lend themselves to having a Best vs Funniest. It also is a theme where, at least in my opinion, there is a wider range of photos in the ‘Best’ category, which is why I think we see the steep drop off of votes in the top 10. I’m kind of looking forward to seeing the voting results from Parking Lots, see how the top 10 vote counts look after that one is said and done.

// hope not to jinx myself, but what ever the weirdness with this weeks vote, it does appear I may have my first top 10. Given the quality of the entries, that’s something to 🙂 about.

edit: just looked at the graph for Bacon, looks like there were even fewer ‘Best’ votes at this point in the voting for that theme than this week.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

This whole voting controversy reminds me of when the NHL decided to use “shootouts” to settle games that were tied. It completely changed the way points were awarded in the standings. I hated it then, and I still hate it now. I used to watch a ton of regular-season hockey, but now I only get excited when the playoffs finally happen–where there are no shootouts.

The whole dual-vote thing just screams “UNFAIR” to me, and I could see myself losing interest in Farktography because of it. That would really be a shame, because I love all the other stuff about Farktography: the competion and camaraderie among participants, the challenge of coming up with entries each week, the incredible database of knowledge and wisdom here at the forum … I could go on but this is probably already TL;DR for most.

If you haven’t already written a Farkback about this, I urge you to please do so. Let em have it with both barrels.

Oh yeah, here’s my one and only b-side for this week: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6852130063_8bdb0a33db_b.jpg
    If only I had a mini NY Giants jersey 😥

Kestrana
    Participant

I could see myself losing interest in Farktography because of it. That would really be a shame, because I love all the other stuff about Farktography: the competion and camaraderie among participants, the challenge of coming up with entries each week, the incredible database of knowledge and wisdom here at the forum … I could go on but this is probably already TL;DR for most.

I warned Drew that feelings like this were going to happen because of this change. I cannot blame you for feeling like this; I have been feeling this way too and it shames me to admit, because Farktography is about so much more than votes. I would miss everyone here terribly, so I don’t think I’m in danger of stopping right now – but I find myself working and thinking less about it. Which is one reason this week is kind of disappointing to me. I worked really hard on my entries this week and even combining funny/best isn’t going to drag them out of the cellar. C’est la vie.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I tend to heartily agree with ‘Cuda, Kes and Orion on this. The last three charted themes on Bibliostats were all difficult to interpret as funny. Bacon was probably the last clearly “funny” goal. The voting for both Bacon and AvO went the same, WAY below average. Likely due to funny votes robbing best (as noted by ‘Cuda).

The PS community does not have a long term tracking mechanism like Bibliostats do they? This may be one reason they seem ambivalent. They may not realize the impact the system is having on them.

So far the only reported feedback from Drew that I remember didn’t indicate much concern over the two button scheme, but was more about the bug/hack of vote losses. Does anyone know something different about his take on this?

In my fackback I asked “Is there anything that can be done besides live with it?”. I’ve not had a response. It looks like “living with it” may not be an option if it’s going to kill part of the magic.

my 0.0151829 Euros as of 2/10/12 @ 1442

fluffybunny
    Participant

On a lighter and more thread related note,..

Rav, is that a green laser back lighting (and bleeding through the peel of) the orange for “In orchards no one can hear you scream” ?

Meant to ask this yesterday but forgot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

U-Man, stumbled across this today while taking a little break, thought the timing was funny and that you and others might as well. Here’s the sci-fi geek’s version of Coexist:

// Really clever idea BTW. Same for fluffy’s gun fight & rav’s Alien.

They had me until the Babylon 5 craft……

linguine
    Participant

I finally heard back from my farkback sent on Sunday and they said theyre currently reviewing and updating the back end code and hope to be done that by the end of march and once thats done theyre willing to look at how the votes are tabulated for farktography and photoshop contests.

ravnostic
    Participant

fluffybunny; it’s a small LED penlight with a bendable head, all of 5 inches long with a AAA battery, coiled inside. The green comes from green cellophane that I’d folded into the gap at the opening. Ghetto, but effective. (I also had to stuff some black rubber matting in there or the whole orange would have glowed).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

They had me until the Babylon 5 craft……

Yeah, never got into that one myself. I do likes me some Trek & Firefly. The original 3 SW’s are quite enjoyable as well, although I consider them more sci-fantasy than -fiction.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, to address some of the previous questions, it’s math time again. Those math-averse among you may want to step out for a while… 😉

This is how voting shakes out on contests since the dual-vote:

#  Theme                        EntryCount  BestVotes  FunnyVotes  TotalVotes  PercentFunny
    ---

347 B-Sides & Unreleased Tracks 88 951 130 1081 12.0
    348 Desolation 153 1923 19 1942 1.0
    349 Bacon 56 574 278 852 32.6
    350 Straight Out Of Camera 182 2024 103 2127 4.8
    351 Stoned 164 1611 565 2176 26.0
    352 Go Out and Get Some Strange 104 1447 578 2025 28.5
    353 Apples vs. Oranges 2 66 651 322 973 33.1

You can see that on both AvO and Bacon, Funny votes are almost exactly half of Best votes. Overall voting on both of those contests is low, but so is the number of entries, and total votes has historically correlated somewhat to entry count.

You’re also not imagining things – both of these contests are quite top-heavy, meaning the top entries got a greater share of votes than in other contests. We can measure this in a few ways. First, consider average votes/entry vs median votes/entry. (If you need a math refresher, median is the number where there are as many entries above as below). In an evenly distributed contest, those values should be close to equal. (Note that from here on I’m referencing Best votes only.)

I’ve previously done detailed studies like this on a few randomly-selected contests and I know that of those I looked at, Classical Elements is one of the most evenly distributed, so let’s start there. It has an average vote of 11.48 and a median vote of 11. Not much difference.

Last week’s Strange has an average of 13.91 and a median of 13. Pretty close also.

Bacon has an average of 10.25 and a median of 7, while AvO has an average of 9.83 and a median of 8. Pretty significant difference.

We can also look at what percentage of entries got 50% of the votes. In Classical Elements, the top 31% got half of the votes; in Strange, the top 30%. In both Bacon & AvO, that figure is 21%.

And for those of you who like graphs, here is a large graph of Normalized Vote Count vs Normalized Place for a select number of contests. NVC as we’ve discussed is the vote count scaled to 1000; NP similarly is the place/# of entries scaled to 100. In a perfectly distributed contest, we’d have a straight line running through (50,500) meaning that half of the votes went to each half of the entries. So, the shallower the dip of the curve in this graph, the more evently distributed it is. You’ll see that Classical Elements is the shallowest and Bacon and AvO the most severe curves.

Hope someone enjoys that wall of text… 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch’ is closed to new replies.