02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, never got into that one myself. I do likes me some Trek & Firefly. The original 3 SW’s are quite enjoyable as well, although I consider them more sci-fantasy than -fiction.

The only Star Wars movies are the original Star Wars movies.

OK, to address some of the previous questions, it’s math time again. Those math-averse among you may want to step out for a while… 😉

While I’m not a big fan of maths, I love data. Concrete, objective information we can point to to factually explain dissatisfaction with the new system, as opposed to more emotionally driven general dislike for change itself can only help. Closer to March when we have a good number of contest data points and they’re finished with back end code stuff, maybe (if you’d be willing) you can submit some of this stuff directly to Drew so he can see exactly what the impact is? Especially if there is a drop off in overall participation and/or voting, wildly skewed voting like with the top heavy placement, unvoting, especially if it affects finishing places–any of that would be good information to give him.

Thank you, again, for the work you’ve done with Bibliostats to keep us in our stats fix!

fluffybunny
    Participant

That’s some fine analysis there Lou (I mean CISS).

Farktographer
    Participant

I am always astounded by your math- and data-fu.

Yoyo
    Participant

Ok, here’s what I don’t understand. In all the other threads, voting is enabled for everything, so why is the default for Farktography voting-disabled?

Also, I liked the single choice voting better. As it is, I don’t vote for “best”. I vote for “good enough”. I’m very liberal with my votes.

Barracuda
    Participant

Great Data-Fu indeed. Thanks for taking the time to compile all of that. Also, CISS, if you ever need a second set of eyes on anything code wise, I’ll be happy to help. I should have my email available through my profile here, but I can also easily be reached through VeloBase.com’s Contact Us page (I’m the only admin, all email comes to me).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

As I’ve said before, I do all that for my own enjoyment, so the fact that y’all dig it, too, is icing on the cake. Thanks everyone.

Els, I’ll be happy to submit what I can and try to make a case, but that’s also the problem with the data – it’s hard to make a solid case with it. There’s so much variance across contests and times of year and phases of the moon or whatever and we really have relatively few data points, especially of post-change contests. Maybe when we get a few more in some real trends will start to shake out. The Bacon & AvO contests show some real deviations, but I haven’t looked at all of the past contests in that level of detail to see if they’re an anomoly limited to the new voting system or if they just popup every now and then.

Cuda, I appreciate the offer and I’ll take you up on it if I run into anything. I’ve got limited experience in web coding (the presentation side, anyway), so it’s possible. Likewise, if you ever get a block of time, get bored, and feel like working on something with no monetary reward or practical applications ;), gimme a shout as there’s plenty I’d like to do on Bibliostats.

orionid
    Participant

Hope someone enjoys that wall of text…

Hey, Beavis. I think I just inoculated.

Kestrana
    Participant

Elsinore wrote:
    They had me until the Babylon 5 craft……
    CISS wrote”
    Yeah, never got into that one myself. I do likes me some Trek & Firefly. The original 3 SW’s are quite enjoyable as well, although I consider them more sci-fantasy than -fiction.

Watch it. B5 is my favorite all time tv series ever.

Ok, here’s what I don’t understand. In all the other threads, voting is enabled for everything, so why is the default for Farktography voting-disabled?

There’s a specific contests category we select when we create the link to the contest. It tells the thread to make voting an option-enabled feature. Why? So we don’t wind up getting votes on people’s comments vs. actual contest entries, and so you can post pictures in the thread without enabling them for voting (as sometimes people do when it’s a shot that doesn’t follow Farktography rules but they want to share it anyway).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore wrote:
    CISS wrote”

I tried to watch it. 😆 My inlaws loved it. Zeke and I just couldn’t get into it.

orionid
    Participant

Elsinore wrote:
    CISS wrote”

I tried to watch it. 😆 My inlaws loved it. Zeke and I just couldn’t get into it.

Start in Season 3. Get hooked into the shadow war. Then go back and for the pre-story so you don’t get all WTF when the, ummm….. significant change happens.

/You don’t come back from Za’Hadun

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It was ’96 when I started…Season 3 as a matter of fact 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

What’s Babylon 5?

…said the apple, to the orange…

U-Man
    Participant

What’s Babylon 5?

…said the apple, to the orange…

I think it has something to do with this — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5e_1_ySlaY

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man on the “Best” category win and to fluffybunny and Ranger Joe/Cameraflage on tying for first in the “Funniest” category this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to U-Man on the sweep of both individual and combined and to Barracuda on his first top ten. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats. The Combined Votes Results post has been updated to show the results of combining best+funny.

I’m happy to report that no unvotes occurred this contest. Final stats are average votes/entry=13.2, median votes=10.5, with 53% of Best votes going to the top 26% of entries, so it was indeed a top-heavy contest on the order of Bacon.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘02-08-12 – Apples vs. Oranges 2: The Rematch’ is closed to new replies.