02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Ok seriously, is it that hard to refrain from using text or photos that have been used before when there’s so much else you can do? What does anyone else think?

[hikes leg up in ‘Captain Morgan’ defense move]

O-righty–it was just a question…as I said, I’m fine either way…

[…backs away slowly…yet prepared to flee upon a moments notice…] 😯

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok seriously, is it that hard to refrain from using text or photos that have been used before when there’s so much else you can do? What does anyone else think?

With how stupid my idea is, yes.

lol Fair ’nuff.

Consensus opinion? If ya’ll seriously want to add text, and that’s the consensus, there’s time to adjust. I just don’t think the current wording allows for it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, you can stack exposures, which would give you the possibility of double (or more) exposures after-the-fact. Or all out HDR.

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for my “whine” to be taken seriously. I don’t want to inject more controversy into the discussion.

What I had in mind for my “request” was to take my lunar eclipse shots from here and make a progression across the sky against a different background shot. That would mean combining multiple completely separate shots into one, which I fully understand is against the rules.

I didn’t think it was a whine. I just wanted to be sure you knew you can combine exposures. I have a shot I may use, and it combines two different exposures with different treatments on each exposure.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

[hikes leg up in ‘Captain Morgan’ defense move]

O-righty–it was just a question…as I said, I’m fine either way…

[…backs away slowly…yet prepared to flee upon a moments notice…] 😯

Alas, tone does not translate well to teh internets. I didn’t mean it with the edge, more of an amused exasperation.

ravnostic
    Participant

Alas, tone does not translate well to teh internets. I didn’t mean it with the edge, more of an amused exasperation.

Phew! This wouldn’t even have come up had I had the foresight to take more than one image of a subject back in the P/S days. I mean seriously–I was digital, why the hell didn’t I take multiple exposures!?!

Stoopid. I know better now.

orionid
    Participant

Phew! This wouldn’t even have come up had I had the foresight to take more than one image of a subject back in the P/S days. I mean seriously–I was digital, why the hell didn’t I take multiple exposures!?!

Stoopid. I know better now.

Settings–>Continuous shooting–>High
    shoot “rifle style” (Aim. Breathe. Squeeze.). *click-click-click*
    Profit in multiple contests.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I went out this weekend to get pics to work on this theme. I don’t use photoshop or gimp very often so I figured I need to get a head start on this. I went to the rink at city hall and took about 100 pics using a tripod.

I tinkered around a bit with the pics and came up with this. I did it by reducing the opacity to 50%. There are 4 stacked images here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5401768240/in/photostream/

Kestrana
    Participant

Pretty neat!

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Pretty neat!

Thanks, I damn near froze my nuts off. I stood there for almost an hour in -5C. Thank god there was a Tim Horton’s across the street.

This will most likely be a b-side. The A-side it really good, IMHO.

clouddancer
    Participant

So if I want to combine shots, I have to use them in their entirety (pretty much)?

Idea: Last week, Atrus had a BLAST being tossed into the snow. The person throwing him (not Daddy as Daddy was at school) got him to have good height and great landing, long distance, etc. Am I allowed to combine them in such a way that one could see the Atrus toss from start to finish, but not reduced opacity of the people like up there? The shots I got will “work” but if I can do this, I’d like to get them again so I have better ones to work with. I don’t think I uploaded the ones I have to anywhere, but I can for reference.

This seems like a silly question now that I read it over, but if I had the proper shots in the first place it wouldn’t be an issue, me thinks. There are a couple of weeks to get this done anyway, so I’ll see what I can cook up.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The last time we did this, there were entries that were stacks of exposures of the same scene with different parts of various frames showing in the final image, similar to what you’re talking about.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That sounds like alpha channel masking. Is that allowed in this contest?

And just to make sure I understand the multiple exposures thing – it’s OK as long as it’s of the same subject/scene?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

That sounds like alpha channel masking. Is that allowed in this contest?

And just to make sure I understand the multiple exposures thing – it’s OK as long as it’s of the same subject/scene?

For the pic I posted, I stacked 4 photos, nothing was masked, I also reduced the opacity of the stacked pics.

I don’t see why you need to have pics of the same scene, you could in theory have a double exposure with any two pictures. I was after a certain effect with mine.

clouddancer
    Participant

It might have worked better if I would have stayed in the same spot and not panned the camera as I ended up doing. I think that was my fallacy. If I panorama them, I end up with one of the 4 that doesn’t show up, and I’d like that one in there. I’ll try to put some shots together by varying simply the opacity and see what I get. I’d like the subjects to not be blurred or ghosted though. That may be more than I’ll be able to do, but I can try nonetheless. If not, I will find other photos to go all hootenany on.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Stacking the same scene was allowed basically because of its similarity to HDR photography. Take a look at the last time we did this contest to see the kinds of things that were submitted before:
    http://www.fark.com/comments/4700696/Theme-of-Farktography-Contest-No-232-Software-Hootennany-Details-rules-in-first-post-LGT-next-weeks-theme

Also, I’m adding a poll to this thread since the question of adding text or not adding text isn’t really decided. The poll will run for 10 days (through Feb 10 I believe, though I don’t know what specific time it will close) to give plenty of time for input, but also time before the theme runs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2’ is closed to new replies.