02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I just want to be sure – stacking the same scene, such as what Pope_Larry linked is okay, no?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes. Several of us did shots like that last time, though usually at full opacity, not partial (but partial opacity shouldn’t be a problem).

olavf
    Participant

Okay, cool. I was trying to find that line between ‘stacking pictures’ and ‘adding/removing items’ was. =P

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Admittedly, it’s a fine line.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Yes. Several of us did shots like that last time, though usually at full opacity, not partial (but partial opacity shouldn’t be a problem).

You mean there is a way to do it at full opacity? It is one of those layer mask thingies?

Photoshopping is not my strong point.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well you can erase down through the layers or use a layer mask.

ennuipoet
    Participant

You mean there is a way to do it at full opacity? It is one of those layer mask thingies?

You can stack your layers and selectively erase the top layer to let the bottom layer show through. It is the Photoshop method of creating a double exposure effect. Here is an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4141601580/
    I took four separate exposures, stacked and layer masked the layers to erase to create a multiple exposure effect of me slowly killing myself with coffee and cigarettes.

lokisbong
    Participant

You can stack your layers and selectively erase the top layer to let the bottom layer show through. It is the Photoshop method of creating a double exposure effect. Here is an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4141601580/
    I took four separate exposures, stacked and layer masked the layers to erase to create a multiple exposure effect of me slowly killing myself with coffee and cigarettes.

I am also posting one like this this time around. I never knew what a pain in the wrist it can be to combine four exposures this way. But I must say I love the final results. I have actually done two versions in different locations and am torn whether to post both or just one.

Kestrana
    Participant

If you’re not sure what to do for this contest here’s a couple ideas that are pretty easy:

– selective desaturation (color popping unnaturally) or objects or colors
    (copy the whole photo and paste in a layer on top of the original. Make this layer black and white. Erase wherever you want the color to show through)

– built-in artistic filters or warping
    (usually found in the edit or artistic menu, just play around with various settings)

– adding vignettes/shadows/light flares
    (usually found in borders or light settings)

– fake tilt shift with http://www.tiltshiftmaker.com

– extreme desaturation, oversaturation, exposure, curve tweaking, etc.

– combining multiple exposures to create scenes that should not go together (something like a Magritte or Dali painting) kind of like this example. (this might not actually be legal for this contest)

Kestrana
    Participant

Or look through the last Software Hootenanny on the FSM. I’m not a pro at every technique but orionid and I would be happy to help you if you want to try out something that you saw someone else do or your own photos.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

– combining multiple exposures to create scenes that should not go together (something like a Magritte or Dali painting) kind of like this example.

That example combines two completely different scenes as far as I can tell (the child and the flowers/window pane). Is that still kosher? (I’m hoping the answer is yes, but I’d believed up til now that it wasn’t allowed unless all exposures were of the same scene.)

Kestrana
    Participant

Well I’m not a mod but my 2 cents in the interpretation would be as long as both pictures are taken by you and as long as you’re not actually adding elements within the picture, simply erasing one layer to show another would be okay. But I can see where the argument could be made that it’s too much like a photoshop contest then. As Elsinore would say, mea culpa.

ravnostic
    Participant

What about removal of such things like power lines, fences, and other detritus–like grandma, who died 6 years ago but people keep insisting we drag her up for another picture?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The original intent of allowing stacked exposures was that it would allow for things like HDR and astrophotography exposure stacking. In both cases, the stack of exposures is of the same scene, which was the basis for allowing the clone shots (and I have some of these, myself), because the photos are otherwise of the same scene. I’m not really in favor of allowing stacks of dramatically different scenes, because then it’s pretty much impossible to determine if someone just cut and pasted various objects from various photos vs simply stacking several photos of the same scene. The cloning thing admittedly toes the line, but stacking photos in that way is much more similar to HDR and exposure stacking, and is less conducive to cutting/pasting.

As for removal of power lines, etc, the theme description doesn’t prohibit outright removal/erasing of elements.

ennuipoet
    Participant

i’m not really in favor of allowing stacks of dramatically different scenes, because then it’s pretty much impossible to determine if someone just cut and pasted various objects from various photos vs simply stacking several photos of the same scene.

No, no, you can tell by some of the pixels and having seen quite a few in your time!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2’ is closed to new replies.