02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

Sweet! I was beating myself up trying to come up with ideas, so I decided to take it literally 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol! Actually I’m being really indecisive tonight about my third entry…scrapping the 8 Elsinores…

U-Man
    Participant

ETA: U-Man your yellow highlighter pic is well…I found some strange moisture in my eye…must be my contacts.

Why thankee. I started out with my wife as the subject (with some cleavage and umm…coloring the ummm…banana) but the composition didn’t work. So I went the cute kid route. 🙂

orionid, I saw your facebook post about the ‘great idea’ and said “greeeeaaaat” to myself. 😛 It turned out really nice. I like both the clock and the scream. I’ll have to play with that.

And kashari, your horses always do it for me. They have a feel that strikes a chord.

orionid
    Participant

orionid, I saw your facebook post about the ‘great idea’ and said “greeeeaaaat” to myself. 😛 It turned out really nice. I like both the clock and the scream. I’ll have to play with that.

Thanks. It really is a lot of fun, and has a fairly quick learning curve once you get past the initial hump of “OMG what are all these sliders for?” And the best part is that unlike most adobe stuff, the plug-in is free. Pixel Bender is the plug-in itself, and the droste effect is one of several free downloadable filters that get used through the plug-in.

Apparently, it does all of the processing through the GPU instead of the CPU, so it’s currently limited to 4200 pixels square.

If you have CS5, there’s a new embedded filter in pixel bender that I really, really, really wanted to use. It’s pretty much the perfect oil paint filter. Example 1 Example 2, but it’s not available for my version of CS.

linguine
    Participant

If you have CS5, there’s a new embedded filter in pixel bender that I really, really, really wanted to use. It’s pretty much the perfect oil paint filter. Example 1 Example 2, but it’s not available for my version of CS.

Well that completely blows away gimps oil paint filter.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Uhhh yeah

orionid
    Participant

The link at the top of the main page is broken. It links to the message id number instead of the thread number.

Also, While CS5 may have the bad-ass oil paint, the droste is not unique. It’s actually ported code (by an independent third party in the GNU world) from a gimp plug-in called mathlab.

mopsy
    Participant

OMG, orionid, is that OilPaint thingy fantastic. I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had such fun playing around with the filters. I usually go for HDR, but did not have anything exciting for subject matter and no time to go out and shoot, so must have run 100 pics through various filters. I take it there is a cost to the OilPaint filter?

U-Man
    Participant

It’s pretty much the perfect oil paint filter.

Ooooooo. das nice. really nice.

Mopsy, you’re running CS2. But Lisa has 5…hmmmm.

olavf
    Participant

orionid, did you mean Mathmap?
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/

I may have to play with that this weekend.

lokisbong
    Participant

So it’s five minutes to midnight when I suddenly remember OH shit it’s Wednesday. lol Glad I already uploaded this morning. and had a notepad with the prepared entries. stupid video games can really make me lose track of time.

ravnostic
    Participant

As expected, I’m totally outclassed–super nice work from everyone! Esp. like kashari‘s horses, BISO‘s lunar eclipse image, and CD‘s kid-throwing-into-snow (because that just looks like too much fun–oh, to be a kid again!!)

orionid
    Participant

orionid, did you mean Mathmap?
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/

I may have to play with that this weekend.

I did. Mathlab was a graphing program I used in high school. My bad.

ravnostic
    Participant

Intolerant Jerk‘s stuff is interesting. On the one hand, I’ve seen that with the right equipment ($cha ching$) this can be done. MY scope can do it, technically (had I the equipment enhancifiers.)

On the same hand, his last such picture got dq’d, for stacking (which he readily admitted to, and provided shot and filter details). So maybe he (she?) has such toys.

On the other hand…

I’d like to know of what the image is; location, common name, etc. A little perspective, perhaps.

olavf
    Participant

I did. Mathlab was a graphing program I used in high school. My bad.

No worries. I’m somewhat familiar w/ Mathlab, which is why I was confused 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2’ is closed to new replies.