02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Intolerant Jerk‘s stuff is interesting. On the one hand, I’ve seen that with the right equipment ($cha ching$) this can be done. MY scope can do it, technically (had I the equipment enhancifiers.)

On the same hand, his last such picture got dq’d, for stacking (which he readily admitted to, and provided shot and filter details). So maybe he (she?) has such toys.

On the other hand…

I’d like to know of what the image is; location, common name, etc. A little perspective, perhaps.

I can tell you right now it was a newtonian, or some other forward secondary scope. The plus sign on the stars are an effect of the support for the secondary mirrors. I’ve seen photos of this quality from deep (2000mm +) 16 and 18 inch scopes with dslr’s and hundreds of stacked photos. I’ve also seen what Plamaduke has done with the 61 inch.
    I did go back to the linked smugmug page and there was a lot of astrophotography, as well as lots of northern Italy and Switzerland shots.

U-Man
    Participant

I was confused at the methlab.

Kestrana
    Participant

Intolerant Jerk‘s stuff is interesting. On the one hand, I’ve seen that with the right equipment ($cha ching$) this can be done. MY scope can do it, technically (had I the equipment enhancifiers.)

On the same hand, his last such picture got dq’d, for stacking (which he readily admitted to, and provided shot and filter details). So maybe he (she?) has such toys.

On the other hand…

I’d like to know of what the image is; location, common name, etc. A little perspective, perhaps.

I would too. It irritates me with people don’t say anything about their pictures. OTOH I looked at his smugmug and he has about 30 pictures of nebulae so he must have access to a scope or the goods.

Kestrana
    Participant

Redundant post is redundant.

orionid
    Participant
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

On the other hand…

I can tell you right now it was a newtonian, or some other forward secondary scope. The plus sign on the stars are an effect of the support for the secondary mirrors. I’ve seen photos of this quality from deep (2000mm +) 16 and 18 inch scopes with dslr’s and hundreds of stacked photos. I’ve also seen what Plamaduke has done with the 61 inch.
    I did go back to the linked smugmug page and there was a lot of astrophotography, as well as lots of northern Italy and Switzerland shots.

Weird, you’re the second to think it’s “duke” instead of “dude”, which I’ve never seen before. Also, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a newtonian, you can get diffraction spikes like that by just putting a cut piece of cardboard in front of your scope-some people do it because they think the spikes on the stars look pretty (I certainly think so). Also, IntolerantJerk HAS to be using hundreds of exposures-his image quality is better than mine. I only stacked five for each color, but I do have a $20 Million 61″ telescope at my disposal too.

Also also: I’m surprised my HDR is doing so well-I expected to get blown out of the water!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Also ALSO also: BEES!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SZfdap92Ub2IRgwPCHCMKw?feat=directlink
    Panorama of the Santa Catalina Mountains. After seeing Rav‘s pano, I’m glad I didn’t use it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Py7DQ5iTqPYomrTpK9knog?feat=directlink
    M51, whirpool galaxy. I simply didn’t have time to process this correctly, otherwise I would have used it instead of the Dumbbell nebula.

Kestrana
    Participant

Oooh I want to see it when you process it. And Intolerant Jerk just replied in the thread and I don’t know what he said but it sounds expen$ive.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Kestrana I think I owe my current top photo to you, you pointed out the tilt shift site. My original 3rd entry was something else completely.

harpo
    Participant

Dammit, it looks like I forgot to envotenate my windowpane shot 2011-02-16 08:02:30 PM. Can I get a better-late-than-never helping hand please?

Kestrana
    Participant

Kestrana I think I owe my current top photo to you, you pointed out the tilt shift site. My original 3rd entry was something else completely.

Happy you found something that worked for you. I got it from the last Tilt-shift contest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dammit, it looks like I forgot to envotenate my windowpane shot 2011-02-16 08:02:30 PM. Can I get a better-late-than-never helping hand please?

Yep got it

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, I’m a bit disappointed in how this one worked out for me, timing-wise. I had some ideas I was really looking forward to playing around with (especially since that kind of stuff is normally disallowed) and then found out mid-Monday that I needed to be in Minneapolis on Tuesday so play time was pretty much eliminated. I ended up with just a couple of hours and spent most of that on the eclipse entry. Oh, if only these contests paid the bills, eh?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Happy you found something that worked for you. I got it from the last Tilt-shift contest.

Ditto what Pope_Larry_II said, Kestrana. That Niagra falls pic is excellent, BTW. Some superb HDR (must start shooting in RAW), all the weird filters I hadn’t seen (Droste?!), and Mopsy‘s (that spider!!!) and Uranus‘ neon treatments … lots of quality work overall.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

mucho congrats to the top finishers. vibrant, wild, unique, stellar work.

i’m perplexed there weren’t more overall entries…..

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2’ is closed to new replies.