02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

If you’re not sure what to do for this contest here’s a couple ideas that are pretty easy:

– fake tilt shift with http://www.tiltshiftmaker.com

Okay, I just tried this, the effects are awesome. Thanks for point this out Kestrana! I think I might have another entry.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

i’m not really in favor of allowing stacks of dramatically different scenes, because then it’s pretty much impossible to determine if someone just cut and pasted various objects from various photos vs simply stacking several photos of the same scene.

No, no, you can tell by some of the pixels and having seen quite a few in your time!

lol well played

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

For anyone still “stuck for ideas/lacking software”, you could also try the free picnik editor that comes with Flickr (and Picasa?). They are continually improving it, and it’s real easy to use. I’ve got GIMP, but have barely scratched the surface of what it can do, so most of my prospective entries are picniked. A couple examples of the results:
    Before http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/5357031439/in/photostream/
    and after “HDR-ish” effect http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/5426360753/

This one used several effects, including “focal point blurring” – could be wrong on the name.
    Before http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/4562120394/in/photostream/
    after http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/5440063979/

Curious
    Participant

This one used several effects, including “focal point blurring” – could be wrong on the name.

really punched up the photo.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Okay here are some b-side results from the fake tilt shift site listed earlier

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5446928486/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5446928418/in/photostream/

Yes, one of my entries will now be this….

orionid
    Participant

So… I just had an idea. I have no source photo, and no idea how I’m going to pull off the mangling, but it’s an idea. And it’s nagging at me. And I’m stuck at work, and have only tonight and tomorrow afternoon to pull it off.

Edited to add: Think M. C. Escher.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Polar filter?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

really punched up the photo.

Thanks, and I did get the name wrong, the effect is called focal soften. It’s kinda like the tilt-shift filter, but the bokeh increases in a circle instead.

orionid I will guess something to do with stairs? Escher rocks…now you’ve got me wondering if I can do an Escher homage for Pattern.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

stoopid question: What about a texture layer? And what if the texture was created by someone else?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Q here also. I’m assuming the use of the HDR-ish filter from picnik would be illegal for regular contests due to the similarity to true HDR, but am not sure about the fake tilt-shifter, focus soften, or other effects. Just wanna know if I’m DQ’ing some of my possible entries for upcoming contests. I can PM examples if needed.

edited to add

Linguine?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Zero Exponent: Fake tilt/shift, soft focus and other filters should be legal for this theme.

EdenLiesObscured: Are you talking about things like grungy textures that come in a package for use with PS? Or creating a texture from someone else’s image elements? I think ultimately, if what you’re doing is applying photographic *elements* that didn’t originate with your photo/stack of exposures, then it would be outside the spirit of this theme. But without knowing more details, I can’t say for sure.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

meant overlaying a texture on top of a photo of mine. i figured it would be outside the rules, just had to verify.

but i do have a few shots that ultimately became textures, which i then used with another pic. for instance, a close up of rusty metal, adjusted, then stacked on a portrait and adjusted in layers.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Zero Exponent: Fake tilt/shift, soft focus and other filters should be legal for this theme.

No, I get that – what I mean is, will I be able to enter a fake-tilt-shifted photo (for example) in a future contest, or is that unacceptable? The rules say as a guideline, blanket image corrections are fine – but spot treatments are not.
    I interpret that to mean the tilt-shift, or any other filter that you select an area to be treated, is out. However, by that standard, you could argue that the HDR-ish filter should be OK because it affects the whole image, and does not use stacked exposures (only mimics it). I’m not arguing that, because it would be near impossible to tell the difference in some cases.

orionid
    Participant

No, I get that – what I mean is, will I be able to enter a fake-tilt-shifted photo (for example) in a future contest, or is that unacceptable? The rules say as a guideline, blanket image corrections are fine – but spot treatments are not.
    I interpret that to mean the tilt-shift, or any other filter that you select an area to be treated, is out. However, by that standard, you could argue that the HDR-ish filter should be OK because it affects the whole image, and does not use stacked exposures (only mimics it). I’m not arguing that, because it would be near impossible to tell the difference in some cases.

The status-quo go/no-go check is “can I do it in a dark room with simple techniques?”

So, things like HDR, tilt-shift, etc are out. The exception is negative stacking. Easy in a darkroom, but “too far” with digital based on the number of options available to manipulate the sandwich in PS.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ahh. Yes, fake t/s filters are out for regular themes. I think HDR-ish filters are against the spirit of the contest under the heading of “we want to see what you can do with your camera, not your post-processing”, however, there’s a gray area that we’ve not fully found a good standard for. There was a discussion last year (I think?) about the use of Topaz and similar programs that can apply tone mapping without a stack of exposures. There was some leaning toward that being too much post-processing, but I dont’ think we discussed enough to truly come to a consensus. For now, I’d say HDR-ish filters are out, even if applied to a single image. We can discuss the issue more, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘02-16-11 – Farktography Classic: Software Hootennany 2’ is closed to new replies.