02-24-10 – On the Streets

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-24-10 – On the Streets

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Interesting. I buzzed through the thumbs and the ones that immediately attracted my attention were the ones with eye contact.

And the one with the Chuckies.

soosh
    Participant

I agree that they draw the viewer in more. I like the studies of people with their guard down, not aware they’re being captured in what they’re doing.

soosh
    Participant

I also like the idea of in a smallish sequestered community like we have here, 30,000 people with no roads leaving town and no other towns on our bit of road system, of having an exhibit of photos where people might wander in and find themselves or their friends up on the wall.

olavf
    Participant

We’ve got a bigger community than that soosh but there’s an area of town (Old Sacramento) that people tend to just go and wander around a lot. I’ve been thinking about something along similar lines – we go there pretty often to people-watch – but the question here is venue. Most of the art galleries are in a different part of town.
    /wonders aloud if one of the landlords down in the old part would let someone use an empty suite…

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Ok… candid, casual photos of famous people? Or would that be considered “people you know”?

corsec67
    Participant

Ok… candid, casual photos of famous people? Or would that be considered “people you know”?

That would be considered “people you know”. The point is to take pictures of strangers. If the viewer knows who the subject is, that changes the picture.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Got it. Just had to check. Thanks.

wrayvynn
    Participant

Would a grumpy old man driving a 100 year old ford in a small town parade with his dog count as a street performer?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45778684@N00/4368397014/

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m thinking the airport is not venuable, as it is a ‘destination’ of sorts (though not the Final Destination *snort*).

Elsewise, I have some ideas besides; I’ve done a lot of ‘people watching’ shots over the past two years I’ve had my XTi. And I’ve got time, as IF I get the job I just peed for it won’t start till the 1st.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Would a grumpy old man driving a 100 year old ford in a small town parade with his dog count as a street performer?

I, too, have any number of shots of people participating in parades who are not street performers by profession but are performing on the street. If they are not actively engaged in their performance, like thus:

[url]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/3536116427/in/set-72157618277142084/
    [/url]

do they still qualify as street performers?

I probably won’t use any “parade” shots, but the more you know…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ennuipoet: I can’t speak for corsec67, but the picture you show is of a belly dancer, and being one myself, I know we often do street performances for various festivals, so I would personally lump those in with street performers. Even if they’re not in the process of performing, they’re at their destination (the performance venue, even if it’s a street or parade).

That may be an argument against parade participants in general…

corsec67 can clarify the parade/performer question better, though.

Also, I’m kicking myself cause yesterday I thought of a street pic I had in my archives somewhere, and I didn’t write it down, and now I can’t remember what it was. Getting old sucks.

U-Man
    Participant

AAAAACK! I thought of one walking in to work two hours ago and now can’t remember.

olavf
    Participant

I feel y’alls pain. It’s also a reminder that I really need to get off my butt and start tagging my archives =/

wrayvynn
    Participant

I, too, have any number of shots of people participating in parades who are not street performers by profession but are performing on the street. If they are not actively engaged in their performance, like thus:

[url]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/3536116427/in/set-72157618277142084/
    [/url]

do they still qualify as street performers?

I probably won’t use any “parade” shots, but the more you know…

Well, the guy seems to have this “I’m too old for this Sh*t.” or “Why did I sign up for this?” look on his face… which I thought made it a pretty candid moment. After all it’s a once a year event, and I doubt he does any ‘performances’ outside of driving this old beater on the parade route.

😉

corsec67
    Participant

corsec67 can clarify the parade/performer question better, though.

At a parade, I see 2 groups of people: people in the parade (like that old guy on the tractor), and the people watching the parade. The people in the parade would definitely be “performers”; they are there to entertain other people.

However, as to the people just watching the parade, that would be fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • The topic ‘02-24-10 – On the Streets’ is closed to new replies.