02-24-10 – On the Streets

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-24-10 – On the Streets

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    wrayvynn
    Participant

I’d almost be willing to debate you on the entertainment value of a small town parade 😆 But instead I’ll respect your authoritay and start shuffling through my archives again. 😉

ennuipoet
    Participant

That may be an argument against parade participants in general…

I can see that. Perhaps, a theme is required, and after a brief search of the FSM, one shall be submitted.

QueenBee
    Participant

would people participating in a zombie walk be fair play? What about people on a beach building a sand castle? I dont know if those types would be considered performers…

corsec67
    Participant

Looking through my archives for this theme, I realize it might be quite hard for people that don’t live in large cities, since almost all of my potential entries involve trains or subways.

Participants in a Zombie walk are pretty similar to a street performers.

People build a sandcastle would be fine.

lokisbong
    Participant

Looking through my archives for this theme, I realize it might be quite hard for people that don’t live in large cities, since almost all of my potential entries involve trains or subways.

Participants in a Zombie walk are pretty similar to a street performers.

People build a sandcastle would be fine.

You are very right about it not being easy to get candid street photos in this small town. Very few pedestrians normally. other than the two car shows per year and the 4th o July people tend to just drive every where. I have never seen a Zombie walk except on the tubes ( You and boob varieties)but they look like fun.

QueenBee
    Participant

zombie walks are fun 🙂 I do have some shots where it’s obvious people are putting on a show..like a group of kids sitting on the corner with their mom looking bored (who’d be bored at a zombie walk?!) and then there are people on top of a building who hung out a sign and were just watching the show….I guess worse comes to worse I post and they get axed 😛

I will try to get some other shots..but between the weather and where I live it might not be so easy.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m struggling with this one too, mostly because the weather for the past 2 weeks has prevented most public photography for me. Even on days where the weather’s been ok, the schools have been closed or delayed, so I’ve had the kids home. Hoping to get out this week….

mopsy
    Participant

After reading all the questions in this thread, I think it is going to be difficult to judge who crosses the line. I just reread the rules for this contest and I don’t know what you could add to make it any clearer. That being said, I’m now tossing out a couple of photos that I thought would be okay but probably are not. There are so many entries that never read the discussion threads that it’s going to make it difficult for Elsinore come show time!

wrayvynn
    Participant

I might just sit this one out. The problem lies with me; living in the middle of Alaska means that all my candid shots of people take place on a river, on a trail, or just plain in the woods somewhere… not so much on an actual street. Now that I have it in my mind that parades are off limits I find my shot of the local news cameraman documenting the parade questionable… after that all I’m left with are firemen extinguishing a vehicle fire downtown…

Kestrana
    Participant

I think there’s a delineation on “famous people” though. Obviously someone like a President or Tiger Woods is a famous face that a majority of people would recognize. On the other hand, someone like Melinda Gates (Bill Gates’ wife) or your local newscasters are ‘famous’ but the majority of people voting for fark wouldn’t recognize them if they sat down next to them or saw a picture of them.

lokisbong
    Participant

Would fire fighters at a practice fire be acceptable? There were not to many bystanders that I got pictures of and one shot I have already used of the drunk guy being hauled off in cuffs but lots of pictures of the fire fighters in action and in inactive states also.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, if the deciding factor is “people not yet at their destination”, then firefighters working a fire (or practice fire) are already at their destination and wouldn’t count. However, the wording of the theme description itself says, “People going about their daily routine,” and we’ve not added the clarifying “People not yet at their destination.” For that matter, we’ve not added the “famous people count as people you know” clarification.

Sooooo, two questions. Do we add those two clarifications? Or do we not worry about the “not at their destination” to allow for fire fighters and police officers acting in the line of duty in public?

I agree with mopsy..I’m seeing this brewing as a pain to police, so we need to either make sure things are as clear as they can be in the description *now* or we need to relax things a bit.

corsec67
    Participant

Something like this might work, if I didn’t know the guy and it wasn’t in a forest, for sure.

corsec67
    Participant

Sooooo, two questions. Do we add those two clarifications? Or do we not worry about the “not at their destination” to allow for fire fighters and police officers acting in the line of duty in public?

I agree with mopsy..I’m seeing this brewing as a pain to police, so we need to either make sure things are as clear as they can be in the description *now* or we need to relax things a bit.

Good point. This is going to be a difficult theme for a lot of people, so it should probably be more open. Which also means that it wouldn’t be policed as hard, and left more for voters to decide.

I guess I was thinking of the “not yet at a the destination” more of as a guideline. The “famous people count as people you know” depends on the definition of “know”, but that should probably be added to the description if it isn’t already clear enough.

I was also wondering about people paid to be somewhere, like this lady in a maid outfit handing out coupons, and buskers. They would probably be considered “street performers”, for example.

People directing traffic and firefighters at a scene would seem to be the same category, and I think are separated from “street peformers”, since they aren’t advertising anything.

soosh
    Participant

I think it needs to be relaxed. Just shots of strangers in a city. How hard is that?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • The topic ‘02-24-10 – On the Streets’ is closed to new replies.