02-24-10 – On the Streets

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-24-10 – On the Streets

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I was going to suggest ‘strangers going about their daily lives’. I don’t know that it needs to be a city, per se, more that they’re doing whatever it is that they normally do. I understand the ‘no street performers’ thing, but to my mind, that’s the guy playing the sax on the street corner, or Mr. Roboto.

/getting confused as to what’s cool and what’s not. I *think* the seven or eight shots I’m considering are okay, even under the strictest interpretation, but I’m less than sure….

mopsy
    Participant

I think it needs to be relaxed. Just shots of strangers in a city. How hard is that?

Perfect!

corsec67
    Participant

I think it needs to be relaxed. Just shots of strangers in a city. How hard is that?

No objections here. The street performer difficulty seems to be too much for many people.

lokisbong
    Participant

I think that would be a great description if I get a say.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ok, so let’s take the street performer difficulty out and make a note that famous people count as “people you know”?

corsec67
    Participant

ok, so let’s take the street performer difficulty out and make a note that famous people count as “people you know”?

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think that will open it up for people quite a lot. Thanks, corsec

justkat
    Participant

Well I’m glad that’s settled! 🙂

Since Olav and I have been talking about this contest since before it was in the hopper, I’ve been quietly collecting pix for a while. Which is very lucky since I have the flu right now and was in no shape to go out over the weekend. 😯

I’ve got it narrowed down to 4… It’s almost got to be better than last week. 😉

mopsy
    Participant

I have been carrying my camera around with it’s telephoto lens for the past two weeks hoping to find someone doing something interesting. A construction crew, a delivery man, something….anything. I guess I live in a boring town. Three quarters of the time there’s nobody on the streets! Going back over my files, I have tons of pics of the family and friends, but not of strangers. Guess I had better get started because I have a fear that this theme will be repeated. Next time around I’ll be ready!!!!!

lokisbong
    Participant

I have gone through my archives rather thoroughly and all I can find are car show and fair pictures where nobody I know is in the picture. This towns people don’t believe in being pedestrians. I just uploaded 5 pictures to my flicker stream in the hopes I can use three of them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34626556@N02/

justkat
    Participant

I never realized how lucky we are, with the constant foot traffic in Old Sac. It’s a cornucopia for people watching, and has given me the bug for this type of photography, though I have to admit that the pix I’m entering aren’t my most recent. Anyway, I am now officially considering myself lucky.

olavf
    Participant

lokisbong I have no say, but I think any of your shots would be appropriate. And, I like the guy with the dog 🙂

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I never feel comfortable taking pictures of people. I either feel like there’s some expectation to come up with something the subject(s) like, if they are posed or aware of the photo. Or I feel like I’m invading people’s privacy if it’s a candid/telephoto shot. The only people oriented photos I’ve been able to take without fighting the process is when people are performing or otherwise choosing to be on display. But since that last category it out for this week, I was surprised to find I have enough to pick and still have a couple of b-sides.

I have no idea what all this means, but it does show that for me these contest are enlightening. So thanks to all you fine people for pushing themes I don’t find comfortable. I would never have taken some of the photos I have today if I hadn’t been trying to meet the contest criteria.

justkat
    Participant

I have no idea what all this means, but it does show that for me these contest are enlightening. So thanks to all you fine people for pushing themes I don’t find comfortable. I would never have taken some of the photos I have today if I hadn’t been trying to meet the contest criteria.

That’s why I love farktography. That and the interaction with some really quality folks. <3

U-Man
    Participant

That’s why I like farktography. Despite the interaction with some really quircky folks. <3

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 130 total)
  • The topic ‘02-24-10 – On the Streets’ is closed to new replies.