04-08-09 – Ugly….But Has a Great Personality

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-08-09 – Ugly….But Has a Great Personality

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us interesting photos of something that many would consider ugly. Difficulty: While the incidental human is OK, people cannot be the subject of the photo.

Theme suggestion kudos go out to U-Man.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

There’s no point in beating around the bush anymore, so I’m just going to lay it all out there.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been in a pretty heated neck-and-neck battle with NoBigDeal for the highly coveted 8th place position on the “Highest Votes Recently” chart. Well the time has come for somebody to step it up or ship out. It’s going to be a knock down, drag out scrum, and in the end only one man can emerge to claim 8th place! The other relegated to lowly 9th or even 10th. The shame!

So what’s it going to be? Which man will prove to be the Ugliest? Tune in Wednesday night (check local listings) to find out! Ooooh yeah brother!

/I’m just bored. No real hard feelings. Please don’t hurt me.

olavf
    Participant

I dunno man…. I’m coming up on your heels….

/this could get ugly. Maybe someone should take a picture…

U-Man
    Participant

Man, I think I just got hosed by my own difficulty. I made that difficulty to avoid cruelty – like submitting a photo of your brother. However, I just had a nice idea for a pic of a body part that some consider ugly. It wouldn’t make fun of anybody, but the subject is definitely human.

Can’t use that idea, can I?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Uhh no 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Yeah. I know. Part of the reason I posted the question was for educational purposes.

/also for the off chance that everyone would say it was fine.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Hey I said “or even 10th!” I definitely see you back there. You are a worthy adversary my friend. So new game – three man no-holds-barred steel cage match it is! Now all we need is a special guest referee.

I picked the wrong week to start calling people out. I really don’t have anything strong this week. I don’t do well with the “subjective” themes. I know a flower is a flower and a rock is a rock, but I can’t leave it to the people to have the same opinion as me on what is ugly. But alas, we shall see who prevails!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Well ya passed me last week BB. But I got some ugly ass stuff for this week! Watch out!

I hope others think my ugly ass stuff is as cool as I do…

orionid
    Participant

Heh. I still got nuthin. My house is full of ugly, but I can’t make any of it look cool.

olavf
    Participant

Hey I said “or even 10th!” I definitely see you back there. You are a worthy adversary my friend. So new game – three man no-holds-barred steel cage match it is! Now all we need is a special guest referee.

I picked the wrong week to start calling people out. I really don’t have anything strong this week. I don’t do well with the “subjective” themes. I know a flower is a flower and a rock is a rock, but I can’t leave it to the people to have the same opinion as me on what is ugly. But alas, we shall see who prevails!

LOL thanks. I was genuinely surprised to see myself on that chart the other week. It’ll be fun to see what happens though 😉

I’ve been struggling a bit this week too – moreso even than I did with the flowers set – and I think for the similar reasons, but also I have a hard time classifying ‘cool’ as ugly at the same time, so I’m sure I’m overlooking a few :/

Ironically, also, we went out both yesterday and today, and I’m pretty set for ‘Frankly my Deer’, and possibly a few for as-yet-to-be-scheduled contests, but the cemetery in Coloma was almost a total dud (except for one ‘maybe’) because of both the topology and the number of unmarked graves. Got one pic for this week yesterday at least, but as you say, we’ll see.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Ironically, also, we went out both yesterday and today, and I’m pretty set for ‘Frankly my Deer’, and possibly a few for as-yet-to-be-scheduled contests, but the cemetery in Coloma was almost a total dud (except for one ‘maybe’) because of both the topology and the number of unmarked graves. Got one pic for this week yesterday at least, but as you say, we’ll see.

I got halfway through a reply about how the various cemeteries in Colma seemed good for photographs when I’ve visited. Then I decided to double check something before I hit “Submit”… And to my surprise, when I looked up Coloma Ca on Google Maps to make sure my “extra o” typo assumption was correct, I learned there IS a Coloma Ca. So I’ll just add that if/when you’re near the SFO airport and would like a good cemetery to explore, check out Colma. 🙂 Sorry to hear Coloma was a bust!

corsec67
    Participant

LOL thanks. I was genuinely surprised to see myself on that chart the other week. It’ll be fun to see what happens though 😉

I am surprised at how high I am on those charts, since I don’t consider many of my recent entries to be that good. I just enter as much as I can, which helps totals but hurts averages.

For this contest, I am going to have to look around for stuff, like streets and other stuff near my apartment.

olavf
    Participant
    Choc-Ful-A wrote:

I got halfway through a reply about how the various cemeteries in Colma seemed good for photographs when I’ve visited. Then I decided to double check something before I hit “Submit”… And to my surprise, when I looked up Coloma Ca on Google Maps to make sure my “extra o” typo assumption was correct, I learned there IS a Coloma Ca. So I’ll just add that if/when you’re near the SFO airport and would like a good cemetery to explore, check out Colma. 🙂 Sorry to hear Coloma was a bust!

Coloma’s a pretty interesting place if you’re ever up in this neck of the woods – It’s the location of Sutter’s Mill, and attributed as the origin of the CA Gold Rush. It’s visually and historically very cool, but it wasn’t being very photogenic this weekend. I got a couple of shots I’m relatively happy with, but it was a struggle.

The cemetery there was weird though, and impossible to do justice with the camera – it was on a hillside so there were all these different levels, and half the graves had no markers. Just a little bunch of fake flowers and a slight depression in the ground were the earth has settled in over the last ~150 years. Maybe I should look back through the shots for something for this contest though.

We’re planning a trip down SF-way ’round May though, so we’ll probably go back to the Sac City Cemetery this weekend. I got some decent shots there for ‘End of the Day’

olavf
    Participant

I am surprised at how high I am on those charts, since I don’t consider many of my recent entries to be that good. I just enter as much as I can, which helps totals but hurts averages.

For this contest, I am going to have to look around for stuff, like streets and other stuff near my apartment.

yeah, I know I’ve had a couple of good ones lately – I think I’m at six top tens now, but I thought I was just too inconsistent to be doing that well overall…

Definitely not going to be a theme for my shots this week… I’ve got at least two, and they couldn’t be in more opposite directions.

nobigdeal
    Participant

yeah, I know I’ve had a couple of good ones lately – I think I’m at six top tens now, but I thought I was just too inconsistent to be doing that well overall…

Definitely not going to be a theme for my shots this week… I’ve got at least two, and they couldn’t be in more opposite directions.

Everytime I think I have nothing for a theme I end up in the top ten.

This week I have way too many good (at least I think good) shots so I probably will bomb.

Oh well…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • The topic ‘04-08-09 – Ugly….But Has a Great Personality’ is closed to new replies.