04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Overall, I like your wording. But I’d like to be more specific than ‘printed’. Neon or the “H” from the Hollywood sign are out.

What about this –>

Take photos of everyday or naturally occurring items that look like letters of the alphabet. One letter per photo, and no arranging rocks, twigs, etc to make letters. Difficulty: The subject should be something that is not intended to be a letter.

I’m not married to this wording so any input, tweaks, changes are welcome.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That works, and it seems as clear as we can make it until someone posts in the thread without reading half the description 😆

ravnostic
    Participant

Take photos of things that look like one letter of the alphabet. Natural or man-made, the object(s) shouldn’t have been designed as a letter, nor should they be ‘arranged’ for the shot.

Better? No? Just a thought. We drinks, ya know.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually like U-Man’s better, but that’s just me.

Also, to be clear in my post above, I meant someone posting to the Fark thread without reading the description, not the thread here.

Curious
    Participant

Also, to be clear in my post above, I meant someone posting to the Fark thread without reading the description, not the thread here.

never seen that happen.

🙂

U-Man
    Participant

I have four so far. Oddly enough, all are natural (not man-made) objects.

ravnostic
    Participant

I have four so far. Oddly enough, all are natural (not man-made) objects.

Is one of them the letter ‘U’? cuz, ya know, that would just be too appropriate.

linguine
    Participant

So does the entire object have to make the letter, or would framing a shot to get a letter to appear in something larger due to how you framed/cropped a shot. An example would be framing a shot of a grid so that the lines appear to form a capital a.

U-Man
    Participant

No “U” yet. But I’m looking.

guine – I don’t know exactly what you mean but it sounds like it would be OK. If you have and doubts, you could post here.

linguine
    Participant

Well I don’t have any ideas for something like that that I want to do right now, Im just making sure Im keeping my eyes open for the right types of things. But to make this more difficult, are we limiting this to english only or are letters from other alphabets fair game to?

U-Man
    Participant

We’ve always been open to worldy influence with patriotic/flag stuff. I say this theme should do the same and include letters from all languages.

Does anybody see a problem with that?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

LOL I was wondering about other alphabets, too, guine–thanks for asking 😉 I don’t see a problem with it either, fwiw.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

We’ve always been open to worldy influence with patriotic/flag stuff. I say this theme should do the same and include letters from all languages.

Does anybody see a problem with that?

http://ca.io9.com/5218119/13-alien-languages-you-can-actually-read

Are these allowed, or am I too far outside the box here? The pictographs might be a bit much – I don’t think owls, cats, etc. is what you were going for.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm that’s a good point about hieroglyphs and pictograms. Here’s the wiki on Alphabets…and I’ll note that many Egyptian hieroglyphs actually did stand for sounds, not just whole words, so they would count as alphabetic. Where/how can we draw an easily understood/defined line here for non-Roman alphabets?

Kestrana
    Participant

“current world languages”? That would disqualify heiroglyphs, archaic and non-standard languages but allow for things like Arabic, Cyrillic, Asian character languages and sign languages. I think 99% of the entries would be Latin alphabet anyway even without the distinction.

You could also go with “letters of an alphabet you are fluent in.” Fortunately Klingon uses the Latin alphabet so all the cellar-dwellers wouldn’t be excluded and aside from the odd Egyptologist who suddenly joins farktography, eliminate most of the other things.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • The topic ‘04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography’ is closed to new replies.