04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Klingon actually has its own alphabet-I have two different fonts on my computer.

/Nerd
    //I am not now, nor ever have been, a cellar dweller.

linguine
    Participant

Saying current world languages would probably work. Maybe throw in something saying no heiroglyphs if we wanted to be certain.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And of course I forgot the actual link in my post above…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet

Curious
    Participant

if we are going for “current world languages” perhaps we might want those other than English to specify the letter. a pile or twigs might be symbolic of an oriental language or it might be a pile of twigs. i’d never know.

Kestrana
    Participant

Question: Punctuation in or out?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I would say out, but then we still need to clarify what alphabets count in the first place.

U-Man
    Participant

I don’t have strong feelings about this. But, since a decision has to be made…

No punctuation.
    Letters of the alphabet. I was envisioning the Latin one but any modern alphabet is OK.
    No hieroglyphics. If you enter a letter that would be uncommon on Fark, please include a description so that we can all learn (and recognize how great your entry is).

ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, I don’t think I’d have time for this to do all new, but a quick look through the archives begs me to ask, what if we post a picture of a collage of of all our favorite alphabet pictures, say framed on a wall or some such. It’s a picture of pictures–but on the other hand, it’s a composition of unique images.

But it seems like that toes the line about what the contest is about–and maybe we’d get all/most of the letters that there were from everyone, and have a collective ‘f’alphabet to proudly call ‘our own’.

Thoughts?

//probably do it anyway, just for me.

Kestrana
    Participant

I thought it was supposed to be one letter per photo?

ravnostic
    Participant

I thought it was supposed to be one letter per photo?

Yeah, reading through the thread affirms this.

Carry on, then.

//will still probably do it anyway, fors myselfs. Mewantzit.

Kestrana
    Participant
    QueenBee
    Participant

I predict a lot of Os…and probably S. I should get to looking. I really ought to get into the habit of looking at these ahead of time and OMG I just had a good thought. Heh I’ll have to get that shot tomorrow. OH! and two other thoughts! This might be easier than I thought

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I predict a lot of Os…and probably S. I should get to looking. I really ought to get into the habit of looking at these ahead of time and OMG I just had a good thought. Heh I’ll have to get that shot tomorrow. OH! and two other thoughts! This might be easier than I thought

I’m hoping the voters will give some consideration regarding the difficulty level of finding certain letters. I kind of had a self-imposed difficulty on this one–no I,L,O,T, or V–unless I happened on something too cool to pass up, which I haven’t ( if someone can get a fireworks V, I’m thinking automatic win ). I’ve only found one S, but it was not as “isolated” as I wanted. I’m going for photos that could be used as instantly recognizable letters in the thumbnail size–if it couldn’t be used in a ransom note, I don’t want it. Everthing I’ve got so far has been man-made too, so I’m really curious to see the “natural” letters others come up with.

ravnostic I take it you’re planning to shoot every letter for your collection? Me too, then I can throw em up as a set on flickr. I saw some lady has a website where you can order prints of letters–at $5 a letter 😯 –that spell out whatever you want. She cheats tho, she’s got sign letters in there.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I banned myself from O, T, X, V and I too.

ravnostic
    Participant

I banned myself from some letters for the purpose of the contest, but I may go back on that; I’m on day 5 of 6 days straight, 12 hour shifts, and haven’t had much opportunity to go hunting (archival or otherwise). I got an interesting ‘i’ the other day, though–may need to use it. Hope not.

I do plan on doing the whole alphabet, X^0, when I get a round tuit. The only one I KNOW I’ll use is a lovely Q that I took at the botanical gardens. And another one which I took about a week after I got my DSLR; photo magic it is not, but it’s a perfect fit for the contest, me thinks. Me hopes. Maybe not. You never know about these contests…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)
  • The topic ‘04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography’ is closed to new replies.