04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take photos of everyday or naturally occurring items that look like letters of the alphabet. One letter per photo, and no arranging rocks, twigs, etc to make letters. Latin alphabet preferred, but any modern alphabet will do (with an explanation included). Hieroglyphs, pictograms, and punctuation don’t count for letters. Difficulty: The subject should be something that is not intended to be a letter.

Another quality theme by U-Man!

Farktographer
    Participant

Everyday or naturally occurring items…so I’m guessing signs are out of the question? No Hollywood Sign or things of that sort? Or does that fall into the “everyday” category?

mopsy
    Participant

I think my question is the same as Farktographers. Would the M formed by MacDonald’s golden arches count? Or does it need to be more subtle.

lokisbong
    Participant

What I want to know is are we allowed to set up a shot? You know… like moving sticks around to more easily recognize the letter. I have not found to many natural things that look like letters here in the desert. I understand things like window frame pieces making a “t” or stuff like that but does natural things have to be completely natural or can I do some arranging?

Kestrana
    Participant

Another questions: one letter per picture, correct?

olavf
    Participant

So much all of these. I’m glad I’ve got some time 😛

mopsy
    Participant

I almost tail ended someone looking for letters. Maybe walking would be a better way to do this one! I can just hear the explanation to the cop. “But I thought I saw an “S” in that roof line, sir.” 😳

U-Man
    Participant

Nope. No sign letters. Gotta find letters that aren’t intended to be letters.

If you can move some sticks around so that I don’t notice and make a natural looking letter, that would probably sneak through customs. But making a letter is not really in the spirit of the theme. Slight tweaking of what is already there is OK. (I know, that’s fuzzy. That’s OK.) No arranging pebbles to look like an “S” or taping sticks together for a “K”.

Yes. One letter per picture.

I have exactly one entry so far. I need to switch on my brain for the next few weeks – without getting in an accident. 🙂

Morningbreath
    Participant

I like this theme idea, I am surprised it took so long to come up: this was actually a farktography project that went nowhere a few years ago.

http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=222

kashari
    Participant

How about rotating or flipping of the image, is that allowed?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s always allowed, actually.

Also, we should probably put your clarifications into the theme description, U-Man.

kashari
    Participant

That’s always allowed, actually.

Ok, thanks Elsinore! I thought I’d better check and make sure it was ok to ‘make’ the letter by doing that.

ravnostic
    Participant

Happy to report I have a hard-to-get letter that I think is very nice–coulda done it without a flip, but flipped it’s just so much better. Only two more letters needed (I added the difficulty for myself that I have to shoot these new for the contest–no archiving!)

U-Man
    Participant

Also, we should probably put your clarifications into the theme description, U-Man.

K. Do you have a wording in mind?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm what about:

Take photos of everyday or naturally occurring (not actually printed) items that look like letters of the alphabet. One letter per photo, and no arranging rocks, twigs, etc to make letters.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • The topic ‘04-13-11 – Alphabet Photography’ is closed to new replies.