04-15-09 – Graves II: The Dead Zone

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-15-09 – Graves II: The Dead Zone

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

I think I’m the only one on here who can’t bring himself to take a camera into a cemetery.

corsec67
    Participant

I use Pandora all the time at work. I find that it makes Firefox such a huge resource hog after about an hour that I have to close and reopen or I can’t do anything.

This discussion should go elsewhere, to keep the topic thread … on topic.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I agree corsec. There’s a way for us to split the thread…lemme see if I can do that without messing the entire thread up.

Edit: Topic successfully moved and merged with your post, corsec.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

I think I’m the only one on here who can’t bring himself to take a camera into a cemetery.

I felt rather weird doing it.
    Especially when I got weird flares on some of my pics (sun coming from behind, so it shouldn’t have been a problem), even after blocking the direction they seemed to be coming from with my hand. I definitely deleted those.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

And I have a question about modifications: I took some pics with an infrared filter. It’s cool to convert that to b&w and correct exposure, right?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, that’s fine 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

I’ve been prowling all the little roadside graveyards that dot the New England countryside. Less chance of angry relatives wanting to know why you are laying on your belly shooting pictures of Aunt Millie’s headstone if the graves are 150 years old.

The problem is the stones from that period are usually very modest and small. Sometimes they are just that…stones.

schnee
    Participant

I was a little weirded out when I did it. But then I thought about me hanging out with of all the weird folks here, what with their office-supply fetishes and the like. On my personal weirdness spectrum, grave photography is pretty low.

corsec67
    Participant

And then I didn’t see any problems having 12 photographers, models in lingerie, strobes, power packs, and such at a graveyard…

mopsy
    Participant

I actually enjoyed wandering around our local cemetery. Some of the inscriptions would make me pause to read them. I noticed that even in cemeteries there’s the poorer section and a wealthy section. The poorer tended to be in the older more run down part and the wealthy have large crypts for entire families. I found the older, poorer section more interesting.

orionid
    Participant

Just driving past a graveyard weirds me out. The whole thinking about mortality thing…. Graveyards are just too…. final. As of right now, I’ve got two archive shots I’m planning on using. And they’re not even really graveyards per se, so much as technicalities…. Tomorrow may change that. I bought a new camera and if schedule allows, I may go break it in at Arlington National Cemetary, since I’ll already be in Fairfax County, what’s another 45 minutes on the metro? I just hope tomorrow’s as rainy and foggy as today was.

orionid
    Participant

Oh, I tried to get some of the guys from my boat to submit a few photos this wek, but none of them really seemed up to it.

So here’s some low-res video goodness of some of the photos I wanted them to submit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbkz04d8g8g&feature=channel_page
    The on-topic ones start at about the two minute mark, but if I do say so myself, the whole video’s worth watching.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I was going to stop at the Jewish cemetery on the way home tonight. As I drove up though there was a large gathering of folks in there and I didn’t want to go traipsing around with my camera.

There are some massive stones in that place. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

mopsy: when we buried my husband’s paternal grandmother a couple years ago, I wandered around the cemetery (a big Catholic one in Upstate NY) and saw a very clear poor vs rich section like you were talking about. The more well-to-do had very elaborately carved and painted monuments, while the monuments in the poor section were often improvised:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/1821421562

There were also sections for children, with quite a few improvised markers as well:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/1820583299/

The childrens’ graves get to me. I don’t think a lot of people in our society truly appreciate how drastically infant and child mortality has improved in the past 100 years.

linguine
    Participant

You should run out to Baltimore quickly where the cemetery that Edgar Allan Poe is buried in is basically a tourist destination.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
  • The topic ‘04-15-09 – Graves II: The Dead Zone’ is closed to new replies.