04-25-12 – Off Kilter

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-25-12 – Off Kilter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

oddmind to the best of my knowledge, use of the same frame as previously submitted, in any form, is strictly prohibited, except when expressly stated in the theme’s ground rules. That’s why we *cough*ahem* bracket *cough*cough*

U-Man
    Participant

oddmind to the best of my knowledge, use of the same frame as previously submitted, in any form, is strictly prohibited, except when expressly stated in the theme’s ground rules. That’s why we *cough*ahem* bracket *cough*cough*

Yep. What he said. It has to be a different frame.

mopsy
    Participant

Nice pun, mopsy :o) lolz

You are sharp, but, actually, I did not think about as I wrote it.

Another question. Can something be naturally off-kilter? We have a couple of trees that grow straight up for a couple of feet and then for whatever reason go horizontal to the ground for at least 10 feet and then up again. Would they qualify?

Farktographer
    Participant

Another question. Can something be naturally off-kilter? We have a couple of trees that grow straight up for a couple of feet and then for whatever reason go horizontal to the ground for at least 10 feet and then up again. Would they qualify?

My gut tells me yes, but it’ll be up to SilverStag.

ravnostic
    Participant

Too far? The shot depicts the anti-solar point, typically only evident on negative horizons. But, yeah, I tweeked it for emphasis. Too much? I can tone it down…or am I on the wrong trail to begin with?

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2012/apr/25/kilter09sml.jpg

Barracuda
    Participant

rav, I like the look.

ravnostic
    Participant

I wore the shorts just for you, Barracuda ;-?

I have way too many possible entries for this…so wonder I have trouble with ‘level’ horizons!!

//might pay off, finally!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Too far? The shot depicts the anti-solar point, typically only evident on negative horizons. But, yeah, I tweeked it for emphasis. Too much? I can tone it down…or am I on the wrong trail to begin with?

I like the composition, but I think the saturation is bordering on cartoonish.

Uranus
    Participant

does the horizon have to appear in the shot? and a quick revisit to my earlier question regarding camera angle…anyone?

not necessarily the one I want to submit, but an example of what I mean:
    Full tilt racing

U-Man
    Participant

does the horizon have to appear in the shot? and a quick revisit to my earlier question regarding camera angle…anyone?

not necessarily the one I want to submit, but an example of what I mean:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/discover_uranus/7109961777/

I’m not the final word, but I think that example is fine. The actual horizon doesn’t have to be in the frame. But the pic should have something that shows the camera was held at a wonky angle. e.g. – trees, buildings, telephone poles, etc.

U-Man
    Participant

I like the composition, but I think the saturation is bordering on cartoonish.

I agree – but with the caveat that I have had some really, really orange colors shooting away from a sunset. I can remember one in particular – I took a selfie holding a musky with the setting sun so low that my tripod cast a shadow on me. I looked like a carrot.

/but I know that rav likes da saturated pretty colors, too. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

My turn for a question – while I think this is an interpretation of the theme, I question if it is in the spirit of the theme.

SilverStag? Anyone else?

And don’t worry, I have others I might use even if this gets the OK.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farktography/Glasses_7337squaret.jpg

Barracuda
    Participant

^ ^ I saw a very similar frame used in another contest, probably yours, probably another frame, and really considered trying to reproduce it but leave the shot off-kilter. Ultimately, other commitments this week meant I semi-dived for my three. One was taken purposely off-kilter for the look, one was taken for a previous contest but ended up not being used as it was off-kilter, and the third is an older photo taken on the move and one handed, thus off-kilter.

Kestrana
    Participant

U-Man because the effect is so subtle, I don’t know if that really fits in my book. It took me a minute to think about how it pertained to the theme before I realized that duh the glasses must have been at an angle. But if I was modding the thread, I’d let the voters figure it out.

U-Man
    Participant

U-Man because the effect is so subtle, I don’t know if that really fits in my book. It took me a minute to think about how it pertained to the theme before I realized that duh the glasses must have been at an angle. But if I was modding the thread, I’d let the voters figure it out.

I tend to agree. The more I think about it, the less it really fits.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • The topic ‘04-25-12 – Off Kilter’ is closed to new replies.