05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I think the plane is the subject and the clouds are incidental.

This. And I like the one on the left.

lokisbong
    Participant

ravnostic I would go for the one on the left also. just looks more natural. On the right one I don’t think I have ever seen clouds that purple even during a sunset.

ravnostic
    Participant

Kidding. 🙂

*phew*

I think the plane is the subject and the clouds are incidental.

This. And I like the one on the left.

//but really; in the 640x, you’ll hardly see it. I think I’ll go with the natural.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Would one consider this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5637789191/

a cloudscape?

justkat
    Participant

I’m glad I asked… But now I’ll have to remember that I DIDN’T do the dust removal if I want to use it in the future… 😉

lokisbong
    Participant

Would one consider this:

a cloudscape?

I used to call fog low flying clouds so I would probably say yes. Wikipedia says fog is technically clouds So you got that going for you.

U-Man
    Participant

I foresee problems with the statement, “the majority of the image should be occupied by clouds.”

Calipers, nit-picking, hard feelings. How closely are we gonna call it?

clouddancer
    Participant

I don’t have crap for this contest. I might abstain. I have a couple of cloud shots, but nothing scape-y. I do, however, look forward to seeing what other people have put up. Of course, it’d be completely overcast today and likely tomorrow (supposedly we’re getting rain), so there’s really no chance of getting something last minute.

U-Man
    Participant

I don’t have crap for this contest.

**reads comment**
    **reads fark name**
    Sees irony. 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s funny. Good catch, U-Man, I didn’t notice that.

I can identify, though, clouddancer – it’s either been completely overcast or sunny here so I haven’t had any opportunities for anything new and it’s gonna be all archives this week.

clouddancer
    Participant

OMG, U-Man! I hadn’t even noticed that! That made me laugh. Awesome for pointing that out. Made my night. 🙂

I do have a couple of possibilities, but husband was like not scape-y enough or something, so I wasn’t going to enter them. However, I might anyway more or less simply to continue to play. They are of clouds, just not landscape-like. Well, one is, but it’s kind of meh. Blah.

Re my username: It wasn’t something I came up with. A friend (who now happens to be my brother-in-law) was the one to give it to me. Apparently at one time I used to dance like I was on clouds or something. I used to dance a lot.

ravnostic
    Participant

U-Man beat me to the punch, CD. Go ahead and post! In re: calipers, etc.; it’s probably the same as in other contests; delete the obviously not-cloud centered ones, let the voters figure out the rest.

Farktographer
    Participant

Would one consider this:

a cloudscape?

I agree with lok – I think this is fair game.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

justkat: I agree with others who said the focus is more the rider and not the clouds.

ravnostic: I agree the right treatment looks more unnatural, though I’ve seen that shade of purple with lightning.

ennuipoet: I’m really torn on that photo. Fog is, technically, low lying clouds, but the buildings are a really significant part of that composition.

I foresee problems with the statement, “the majority of the image should be occupied by clouds.”

Calipers, nit-picking, hard feelings. How closely are we gonna call it?

Yeah, I don’t know…to put numbers on it, 51% of the photo being covered with clouds would be a “majority”, but then you’d have photos like ennuipoet‘s that might have 51% of the real estate covered in clouds (guesstimating here), but other elements in the frame are more “important” in the composition or could arguably be the actual subjects. I’m also certainly not going to be doing mathematical analyses on whether photos officially have 51% or more of their frame occupied with clouds, but still…I’m not sure how to draw an objective line in the sand. Of course, that’s not new this week 😆

Kestrana
    Participant

FWIW I’m okay with ennuipoet‘s image. Time for another patented “Kes Litmus Test”: Rather than “clouds are a majority of the image” maybe “are the clouds an integral part of the image”? For example: the presence or absence of the clouds wouldn’t change the focus, subject or tone of kat‘s picture but the presence or absence of clouds drastically changes ennuipoet‘s.

Or for another example: Say someone posted an image that was 75% empty blue sky but contained a single cloud with a vague resemblance to a squirrel with a pair of giant nuts. It’s only 25% cloud but I don’t think we would DQ it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 150 total)
  • The topic ‘05-04-11 – Cloudscapes’ is closed to new replies.