05-09-12 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 7

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-09-12 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 7

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m totally good with that. Nov/Dec is probably better viewing than we’d get by the time we get Farkstronomy scheduled in the near term anyway.

Yugoboy
    Participant

This will give me all summer to try to get a single good one. I have no tracking mount, nor have I any sort of telescopic lens. What I have got is a remote trigger. When I went out to see what I could get, I got short streaks due to short (1-5 minute) exposures. Obviously, my contribution will be either the local planetarium &/or one of those REALLY long exposures with the massive star arcs across long swatches of sky. If I’ve got until November/December, I might just get one by then.

Any suggestions for ISO/f-stop settings if/when I get a chance to try?

hunches
    Participant

Ok thank you for checking, Yugoboy. I knew it was dark and kinda liked it that way, but when I got to work it was 90% black with just the white hairs on her chin and around her eye showing up so I panicked thinking everyone might see it like that!

I really didn’t think the difference between monitors would be that much, something to keep in mind I guess.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

And it doesn’t delete entries that drop off until the contest ends (on the possibility that they may reappear).

This is brilliant–thank you!

Thanks! And you’re welcome! But just to clarify, it does drop out of the Bibliostats contest listing when it drops off Fark; it’s just not deleted from the database unless it’s still gone by contest end, the reason being that the scraper doesn’t know if it just disappeared temporarily or if you (or another mod) removed it for cause.

So it really doesn’t provide any benefit to the end user, but it keeps the scraper from having to redownload the image and generate a thumbsnail if it reappears. It also allows me to see that it was there at some point in time.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And it doesn’t delete entries that drop off until the contest ends (on the possibility that they may reappear).

This is brilliant–thank you!

Thanks! And you’re welcome! But just to clarify, it does drop out of the Bibliostats contest listing when it drops off Fark; it’s just not deleted from the database unless it’s still gone by contest end, the reason being that the scraper doesn’t know if it just disappeared temporarily or if you (or another mod) removed it for cause.

So it really doesn’t provide any benefit to the end user, but it keeps the scraper from having to redownload the image and generate a thumbsnail if it reappears. It also allows me to see that it was there at some point in time.

No I understand that, and it’s a great set up. I was thinking along the lines of it being a very useful method of checking/confirming entries that drop into the ether. I think you’ve even mentioned it before, but your ability to confirm what I was seeing only really struck me today.

lokisbong
    Participant

I’m totally good with that. Nov/Dec is probably better viewing than we’d get by the time we get Farkstronomy scheduled in the near term anyway.

That works for me too it will give me time to dig out the little scope my friend has given me. And figure out hot to get good pictures using it. I think using my older point n shoot I might be able to get some shots with it.just have to figure out how to use that CHDK thingy. the scope doesn’t have tracking but I think it’s a 5″ or 6″ Newtonian style thing. It is currently buried behind a bunch of other stuff at the back of their under the stairwell closet.

Curious
    Participant

I really didn’t think the difference between monitors would be that much, something to keep in mind I guess.

i have dual monitors that aren’t calibrated to each other. i often wonder what folks see at their end.

justkat
    Participant

See U-Man? Your 1st place is why I didn’t use a ladybug. 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

See U-Man? Your 1st place is why I didn’t use a ladybug. 😉

//I figured to slip away from my early lead because of that one. I love that shot. I’m just happy to have 1 that might make it into the top 10 by the contest end! Far better than I did my first Anniversary contest…

justkat
    Participant

//I figured to slip away from my early lead because of that one. I love that shot. I’m just happy to have 1 that might make it into the top 10 by the contest end! Far better than I did my first Anniversary contest…

Yeah me too, no kidding. I might hang onto a top 10 spot, very hard to tell. And I wouldn’t even want to look at my first anniversary contest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to I’m No Big Deal and ravnostic for their tie win this week!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Congrats to I’m No Big Deal and ravnostic for their tie win this week!

That was unexpected! Thanks everyone! This means that Rav and I are Farktographers of the year right?

(It does in my mind!)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol Totally 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

This means that Rav and I are Farktographers of the year right?

Absolutely! And as last year’s winner, you need to let me know where to forward the tiara and sash (I’ll let you two decide who gets what). 😆

// Seriously, though, congrats to you both, and to U-Man for yet another combined win.

ravnostic
    Participant

This means that Rav and I are Farktographers of the year right?

Absolutely! And as last year’s winner, you need to let me know where to forward the tiara and sash (I’ll let you two decide who gets what). 😆

// Seriously, though, congrats to you both, and to U-Man for yet another combined win.

I get the tiara. 😉

Unexpected; last I’d checked U-Man was leading. I’d like to thank the Farkcademy, and all the little people–I mean, the passengers, and pilots, on the plane…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • The topic ‘05-09-12 – Happy Farktography Anniversary 7’ is closed to new replies.