05-18-11 – Classical Elements

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-18-11 – Classical Elements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph the classical elements: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Difficulty: Each entry should primarily represent a single element and each must be a different element. Note: You may post up to 4 vote enabled photos for this contest, but you are not required to do so.

Theme suggestion kudos go to BecauseISaidSo!

Farktographer
    Participant

Represent a single element…when I think of the representation of air, I can imagine something like seeds blowing in the wind – but would the subject then be the seeds? Are we allowed to use items to represent the element that aren’t necessarily the element?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yep, as long as it primarily represents a single element. Kestrana had the same question in the polling thread:

What exactly would qualify as air though? steam? windy trees? clouds? a bubble gum bubble or balloon?

And those are all good and valid ideas.

Farktographer
    Participant

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying 🙂

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, generally something that’s showing the effect of, particularly an intangible like air, is okay.

We’ve allowed the effects of rain (raindrops on the ground, or a windowpane) to show rain in the past, for example.

geom_00
    Participant

Not that I would, but would we be allowed to actually use all four?

In other words, have one entry of each element?

Kestrana
    Participant

You’ll still be bound by the three voting entries but you can always post a 4th non-voting entry to complete the set.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wonder if it would be like dividing by zero to allow a fourth voting entry for this contest? If we did that, would we want to *require* all 4 elements/photos? Would it induce too much chaos?

olavf
    Participant

No multipass?

/hangs head
    //looks for recepit for the tape

Farktographer
    Participant

Wonder if it would be like dividing by zero to allow a fourth voting entry for this contest? If we did that, would we want to *require* all 4 elements/photos? Would it induce too much chaos?

This could make things legendary. Four required entries for the four elements? I love this idea – but it’d take a lot of other people agreeing before it made things official. I, for one, am in.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’d be up for it. There’s nothing in my stats scraper that prevents more than 3 votables and I’m almost certain that FSM doesn’t care either. The downsides are that it might limit the casual entrants and almost certainly cause some policing headaches from those who don’t read the rules and just throw one or two out there.

ravnostic
    Participant

Count me in on 4. Or 3 if it doesn’t go.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah the FSM doesn’t care either, we’d just know it was an outlier with 4 allowed votables. Of course, some people play for averages, and a 4-votable week might be a challenge for that, but whatevs. The bigger issue might be the length of the thread itself with 4 entries per person. CauseISaidSo is right that policing (especially if 4 entries are required instead of an option) might indeed be a headache to check that each person has all 4 and that all 4 elements are represented. And yes, 4 required entries might be a deterrent to casual folks.

Other options would be to make it optional, or even to require all entries (however many) in the same post, which might present other challenges for our stats scrapers (I know FSM will only “see” the first photo, though it will record the votes properly–dunno what that does with CISS’s scraper). The benefit would be that we’d see the person’s elements together as a set more easily. The downside would be that we’d probably want to limit to one entry per person with however many we decide on (up to 3 or 4 optional/required) or the thread would get crazy long. We did something similar with the Take 3 contest.

Dunno which way to go on that one.

/just realized I listed CISS’s Fark handle instead of his farktography.net name for the theme suggestion credit.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m down for allowing 4 entries for this whether or not they are posted as a set but I don’t think it should be required unless we are using the “post all 4 in one post” option. The policing (especially for people who don’t read the boobies and would not notice that people had posted one extra photo simply by scrolling) would become a nightmare and possibly make a lot of people quite angry when their 1, 2, or 3 photos get dq’d. The last thing we want is to turn people off of Farktography because we got creatively stringent with the rules.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

True that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • The topic ‘05-18-11 – Classical Elements’ is closed to new replies.