06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh, hai guys.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Hey, how was the trip? Did you make it back with more or less the same count? Ya know, 10% is the maximum acceptable shrinkage in the camp guide industry. 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, after an hour and a half last night of tooling around the pitch black countryside to return my puking 6 year old to my husband (we both went various wrong directions), he stood as our only person down. All Brownies were present and accounted for, and there were no broken bones or poison ivy. Of course, we drill drill DRILLED it into their little heads what poison ivy and poison oak look like, in between trying to teach them the differences between oaks, maples, beeches, and sycamores. Also, I have decided that herding Girl Scouts is worse than herding cats.

/definitely could have used my tequila.

lokisbong
    Participant

Glad you are back in one piece with all youngins accounted for.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to ravnostic this week!

SilverStag
    Participant

Congrats to ravnostic this week!

No kidding, Well done, my friend, well done.

olavf
    Participant

Conga-rats Rav!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve edited my post here to show final contest results.

And congrats, rav! I’m guessing you’re of the firm belief now that that was 60 bucks well spent, eh? 🙂

And here’s another feather in your cap – your vote total represents 9.05% of the total votes cast in this contest, which places you at #72 on that list. You might be saying, “72, big deal,” but that’s #72 out of almost 24,000.

And if anyone’s curious about who’s #1 on that list, it probably wouldn’t take long to guess – it’s millera9 in the Barbie (and Ken) contest. Dude took almost 25% of the votes in that one.

Oh, and for those who’ve forgotten about it or any newcomers who missed it, you can see the place rankings on the voting page by using my voting results script as described in this post.

orionid
    Participant

And here’s another feather in your cap – your vote total represents 9.05% of the total votes cast in this contest, which places you at #72 on that list. You might be saying, “72, big deal,” but that’s #72 out of almost 24,000.

You don’t happen to have a link to that list, do you?

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Congrats r, money well spent, I’d say. The idea to scan a liquid was really creative. I couldn’t spot any telltale wrinkles–did you have plastic wrap on there for protection?

CauseISaidSo , thanks for the stats. I’ve been meaning to say that I can’t get the javascript vote ranking to work ever since my IE updated to “Version 9.0” . Am I the only one having this issue?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

You don’t happen to have a link to that list, do you?

I didn’t… but I do now, just for you. 😉

The whole list is almost 4MB, so I’ve shortened it to the top 1000. You can download it here. And the number I think you’re looking for is #10 with 13.4% for Money Shots. In comparison, my best is #495 for “Me Love You Long Time.” 🙁 Which is kinda surprising at first glance, since I had 3 entries in the top ten for “Sparks, Arcs, & Other Flashy Things” and that one only came in at #743.

The trick for making the top of this list appears to be two-part: 1) Have 3 entries that do well; and 2) make that happen in a low-voter-turnout contest. The first contest in the list to have 1900 or better total votes is at #48 (Self Portraits, yeimi).

CauseISaidSo , thanks for the stats. I’ve been meaning to say that I can’t get the javascript vote ranking to work ever since my IE updated to “Version 9.0” . Am I the only one having this issue?

I use IE9 but I’ve got the script bookmarked, so I don’t have that problem. I just tried it by copying and pasting and found that the problem is that IE9 strips the leading “javascript:” from the pasted text. So, after pasting the string into the address bar, go back to the front of the string and enter “javascript:” before pressing Enter and it’ll work.

Alternatively, you can create a bookmark so you don’t have to copy & paste every time. Download this file, save it to your C:UsersyournameFavorites folder, and then rename it to “Voting Results Script.url”. It should then show up in your IE9 Favorites menu as “Voting Results Script”. Load the contest voting results page on Fark like normal and then choose this from your Favorites menu and tada – no more copying & pasting.

Anyone else who needs the shortcut is welcome to try this, but I don’t know if other browsers (non-IE) use the same file format. Worst case is that it won’t work and you can just go back and delete the file.

Edited to add: Something else I just thought of that non-IE users who want the bookmark may be able to do – If your browser has an “import bookmarks” function, you could follow the steps above and then ask it to import the IE bookmarks.

Curious
    Participant

my best is #495 for “Me Love You Long Time.”

you joined in july of 2010 and i’m member 40 or 41 and have been here since jan 2006. my best finish is #451. i’d say you were doing ok.

and thanks for the stats.

mopsy
    Participant

rav, now aren’t you glad you decided to do this? And am I right about your creativity or am I right!

ravnostic
    Participant

mopsy, I can’t decide if you should read palms or go into business as a soothsayer. Thanks for the encouragement!

//I’ve already thought of hows to duplicate the effect for ‘Trickier’, but using an actual camera.

Best 60 bucks I’ve spent in some time, CISS. I’ll have to start scanning my old photos soon.

x^0; yeah, um; about the beer shot. No covering; straight on glass. But it’s not beer.

One of them stones (a small one, from the other shot) was placed into an empty (but definitely imbibed beforehand) can of Bud. Beer is too liquidish, and no color would come of it; I tried with a very *small* amount in a test, figuring that would be the case.

So I opted for corn syrup, a tiny bit of yellow food coloring, and used a fork to whip bubbles into it, which worked out rather nicely. The stone in the can made sure it was positioned to where you could see the red tab on the can. The syrup was poured directly on the bed (oh so very carefully, with a streak for the can to lay within)

Cleanup was messy and involved a lot of paper towels in small batches, always sweeping inward with a fresh lot of them, toward the center of the scanner, to prevent any from reaching the edge of a marble-verified non-tilted scanner bed. Followed with moistened towels doing the same, followed by windexed towels. Almost a whole roll of paper towels in the clean up.

But I think I wound up with all three in the top ten, and I’m pretty certain I haven’t done that before; needless to say, I’m pleased.

Usually after a 1st place, I tank the next week.

Do not–I repeat–do NOT presume that I plan on continuing that trend.

Thanks ALL for the congrats–I’m pleased as punch and surprised as hell, and now I have a buttload of images I have to review for possible future contest inclusion.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

and now I have a buttload of images I have to review for possible future contest inclusion.

You mean if/when we repeat the Scanner as Camera theme, as opposed to regular contests, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.