06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

U-Man I’d like to see that, seriously.

andyofne, I’d bet you have some of that in you, too. When I started out (thinking back on it through the pictures), I didn’t have a clue on not only how to take a picture, but how to compose them. These people here have taught me incredible things; making suggestions, helping with technical issues, teaching by example, and as I’ve participated and grown, I find I make better choices in composition, and increasingly finding the starting points, both ‘mechanical’ (digital, what-ev-ar) and technical, easier to achieve.

I hope you’ll hang out here a bit, ask questions, participate–you’ll find you’ll become a better photographer, and that pays in spades outside the contests. But besides all of that–it’s fun to do!!

//The above was an aside, but more important than the following, which I think is still pretty cool as a followup. I’ve realized my scanner makes one helluva macro. This picture isn’t all that impressive…

…until you’re told that each yellow-and-white floret combo is about 1/3 mm (about 1/80th an inch, if my mathz is good.) Blows my Darlot ‘macro’ out of the friggin water. I think I’m going to suggest ‘Scanner macro’ as a followup. Totally unretouched/edited, just cropped to something viewable here.

andyofne
    Participant

U-Man
    I hope you’ll hang out here a bit, ask questions, participate–you’ll find you’ll become a better photographer, and that pays in spades outside the contests. But besides all of that–it’s fun to do!!

I had to lol a little. I’ve been a member on the site since 2008. 🙂

I just don’t participate as much as I want. [/quote]

Curious
    Participant

I have to ask: Am I the only one who still owns an analog clock? I thought there would be several similar entries and it would just do –meah– because of it.

i have two, one in here and one in the living room. i’m old and dislike digital. neither have second hands and even if they did it wouldn’t have occurred to me to use one.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I have to ask: Am I the only one who still owns an analog clock? I thought there would be several similar entries and it would just do –meah– because of it.

That clock was purchased for ‘All Night Long’; nice to have gotten to repurpose it for this contest. Makes the $5 investment only $2.50 per contest.

img055 by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

I didn’t use it because yours was better. I tried slowing the scanner down as much as I could but I never got a good sweep of the second hand.

orionid
    Participant

Rav: How many tries did it take you to get the secondhand perfectly horizontal as the scan bar passed it?

ravnostic
    Participant

Rav: How many tries did it take you to get the secondhand perfectly horizontal as the scan bar passed it?

About 30. I tried different resolutions; when I found the one that sweeped at the right pace (around a minute), I pulled the battery at 40 seconds, pressed ‘scan’ and put the battery back in in the 3 or so seconds it took till the scan commenced. once there, the second try got the result.

What I didn’t realize, until I was singing the song to myself at 5am while working, was the tie-in to the second hand forming a ‘rough’ image of an eagle, which fits nicely with the ‘time keeps on ticking…’ bit. I think that’s why it was doing well. To think I almost captioned it ‘Timing is everything’, which would have blown the opportunity. Crazy random happenstance. 😛

Curious
    Participant

rav i have paid hosting and your suggestion about using it as cloud storage intrigues me. i’ll have to think on that a bit.

orionid
    Participant

About 30. I tried different resolutions; when I found the one that sweeped at the right pace (around a minute), I pulled the battery at 40 seconds, pressed ‘scan’ and put the battery back in in the 3 or so seconds it took till the scan commenced. once there, the second try got the result.

What I didn’t realize, until I was singing the song to myself at 5am while working, was the tie-in to the second hand forming a ‘rough’ image of an eagle, which fits nicely with the ‘time keeps on ticking…’ bit. I think that’s why it was doing well. To think I almost captioned it ‘Timing is everything’, which would have blown the opportunity. Crazy random happenstance. 😛

Interesting…. Except the song is “Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping….”

ravnostic
    Participant

Interesting…. Except the song is “Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping….”

Hey, your right! Oops! 😳

yrkddn
    Participant

Hey all, I just wanted to say THANKS for all your participation. This went beyond anything I imagined. Rav, that is seriously creative. U-man, there was no question about the reference, that was one of the most entertaining threads ever on FARK. Orion, how did you avoid the NSFW? Oh, yeah, it was FRUIT.
    High 5’s all around.

orionid
    Participant

And just think. Had my original plan worked out, I’d have never done that one. In a moment of frustration and near capitulation I went to the fruitbowl to grab stuff for a smoothie. After I pulled out the mango, the banana rolled over on top of the peaches in a similar fashion to the scan, and I chuckled. Then I realized I had potential fark gold.

/Then I realized how hard it is to pit a mango without destroying the damn thing.

olavf
    Participant

I figured out on Saturday that my old scanner is older than they thought – they stopped supporting it at WinXP. Oops.

I had plans, too. Ah well.

ravnostic
    Participant

I figured out on Saturday that my old scanner is older than they thought – they stopped supporting it at WinXP. Oops.

We simply MUST do this again sometime soon, dahlinks!

Curious
    Participant

i was given a 8.5 x 14 microtek scanner after katrina. just the scanner, had to find a scsi adapter card for it. put it in the 98SE box because the software required 98 or earlier. so recently i built another computer and ran out of space for towers. to keep 98SE had to dual boot* the 98SE HHD in one of my XP Pro HDD boxes. since the hardware is attached when i boot XP it sees it. lo and behold i was able to install both the scanner software and an old sipix camera/webcam in XP and use them.

*it’s actually a triple boot; 98SE, XP Pro and Ubuntu 10.10. BTW i hate grub2.

orionid
    Participant

Now, see, these things wouldn’t happen if everyone used film and had a flatbed film-capable scanner. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.