06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    yrkddn
    Participant

I figured out on Saturday that my old scanner is older than they thought – they stopped supporting it at WinXP. Oops.

I had plans, too. Ah well.

We simply MUST do this again sometime soon, dahlinks!

I really liked the notion someone floated about boosting the resolution and doing macros.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Me too. I actually played with that myself some with 1200 dpi scans of flowers and the crochet stuff. The detail at full size was wild.

ravnostic
    Participant

and now I have a buttload of images I have to review for possible future contest inclusion.

You mean if/when we repeat the Scanner as Camera theme, as opposed to regular contests, right?

No, it’s in reference to my trip to the Colorado Rockies. Several images shot specifically for ‘In Deep Shadow’, and a vast plethora to choose from for ‘Volcanoes, etc’ (even harder still as I have a shot from April’s Tonto Ntl Mnmt shooting venture that simply *must* be in the contest). If you’ve never been to Telluride, go. Now. W.O.R.T.H. the gas to get there, in spades. One of the shots for ‘Shadows’, I feel, is one of my strongest yet. I hope the voters feel the same way–I’m absolutely in love with it.

As for a repeat scanner theme, I’d love to–but I’m sure that will be long down that winding contest road. OTOH, as I’ve dug through my belongings looking for the MIA wallet, I’ve gathered all my ‘film’ photos, in preparation for scanning. So in it’s own way, my new toy will get it’s share of use for contest purposes by way of getting my film shots into my archives for possible inclusion into future themes.

ravnostic
    Participant

Me too. I actually played with that myself some with 1200 dpi scans of flowers and the crochet stuff. The detail at full size was wild.

^this^, as I was the one who floated the idea.

But I have to say–participation was quite low for this contest; the entries were strong, but the entrants were few. As many of us discussed the limitations of our respective scanners, I don’t know that a ‘macro-scanner’ contest would go over too well.

Not that I wouldn’t be a most enthusiastic cheerleader.

QueenBee
    Participant

I posted one of my b-sides to my photo blog and a lovely tfette asked me for a print. I told her sure and went to print it off at a drug store to test it…it came out all crazy pixelated and weird looking. I’m guessing the original size/resolution is too much? Anyone else try to print any and have that issue?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

and now I have a buttload of images I have to review for possible future contest inclusion.

You mean if/when we repeat the Scanner as Camera theme, as opposed to regular contests, right?

No, it’s in reference to my trip to the Colorado Rockies. Several images shot specifically for ‘In Deep Shadow’, and a vast plethora to choose from for ‘Volcanoes, etc’ (even harder still as I have a shot from April’s Tonto Ntl Mnmt shooting venture that simply *must* be in the contest). If you’ve never been to Telluride, go. Now. W.O.R.T.H. the gas to get there, in spades. One of the shots for ‘Shadows’, I feel, is one of my strongest yet. I hope the voters feel the same way–I’m absolutely in love with it.

As for a repeat scanner theme, I’d love to–but I’m sure that will be long down that winding contest road. OTOH, as I’ve dug through my belongings looking for the MIA wallet, I’ve gathered all my ‘film’ photos, in preparation for scanning. So in it’s own way, my new toy will get it’s share of use for contest purposes by way of getting my film shots into my archives for possible inclusion into future themes.

Ok, I guess what I was getting at is making sure you weren’t thinking of posting scanner-as-camera images in regular contests. Scanning prints/negatives to convert to digital format is legal, of course.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I posted one of my b-sides to my photo blog and a lovely tfette asked me for a print. I told her sure and went to print it off at a drug store to test it…it came out all crazy pixelated and weird looking. I’m guessing the original size/resolution is too much? Anyone else try to print any and have that issue?

Hm I haven’t tried. Maybe I should.

QueenBee
    Participant

Hm I haven’t tried. Maybe I should.

let me know how it comes out if you do! 🙂

Curious
    Participant

i’m late to the party here but don’t understand at all.

you took an image file on some media (CD or thumbdrive) to your local drug store to have a print made. it was a jpg image file right? and it came out weird? i’d say the drugstore messed up if you can still see the image correctly from that media. if you have a printer try printing it (low quality, cheap paper) on that.

i had a roughly 5MB 3008 x 2000 pixel jpg image made into a 20 x 30 print at sam’s no problem. i don’t see why printing at 4 x 6 would be any different.

QueenBee
    Participant

it’s possible it didn’t upload to/from the thumb drive well and maybe that’s why it didn’t come out, but I did it in one of those fuji machines that prints the images right then for you.

yrkddn
    Participant

Ok, I guess what I was getting at is making sure you weren’t thinking of posting scanner-as-camera images in regular contests. Scanning prints/negatives to convert to digital format is legal, of course.

Does this mean that scans are off limits in regular contests now?

ravnostic
    Participant

Scans of old photos you’d taken long ago are fine for contest entries. It’s using the ‘scanner’ as a ‘camera’, as in like what we did in this contest, that’s not typically allowed. It’s pretty often that someone digs something up from the vaults of non-digital photography and uses them in a theme–so long as it’s a scan of a photograph you took, it’s fine.

Elsinore, did I splain that rightly?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Rav, yrkddn was aware of that part as it was a Scanner-as-camera image of his in a regular contest that sparked the discussion and ultimately the theme (note his name in the credits in the first post of the thread).

Does this mean that scans are off limits in regular contests now?

We never really reached a consensus on allowing scanner-as-camera images in regular contests. The Scanner As Camera theme was kind of the compromise. But I’m open to re-visiting the discussion. Now that we’ve had the theme, maybe perceptions will be different. Feel free to start a thread on the Pub and Grill Board or even the Pollage Board with a poll (though people will likely discuss more first on the P&G)

ravnostic
    Participant

Doh! My mind is a sieve; a lot slips through. Yours is more like a hepa filter, lol. I’ll await someone’s opening a thread on the subject and some other’s input on the matter before weighing in again. –my bad–

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ll start one. Think it would be a good discussion to have now.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.