06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

And, FWIW, I’m planning on doing two flat-panel shots, but the third is going to be somewhere between this guy’s project: http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html and this guy’s: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/spyuge/20090511/1242053498

Plamadude30k
    Participant

For those not on Facebook, last week we found out orionid is no longer needed in the Navy, essentially is getting laid off in June and our wedding is Saturday so we have that, then finding a job and figuring where we want to move to on the Navy’s dime.

Damn well better not be Hawaii, or the rest of us will never win a landscape contest again. 😥

I’m working on that. 😀

Orionid, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve got to move. At least you’ll have somebody moving with you! I can’t wait to see the wedding photo gallery-knowing you guys, it’s going to be awesome.

Kestrana
    Participant

Heh. Given that it’s pretty hard for us to take pictures of ourselves doing the things one does at a wedding, I can only pray.

olavf
    Participant

I’m sure you guys have a tripod and wireless trigger around there somewhere. If not, $5 says orionid can MacGuyver something out of a couple of tin cans and a busted iPod in 30 minutes 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Don’t tempt him to take a hammer to my ipod! He hates Apple.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Query:
    Are the post-shot processing rules still in play here?

How much digital manipulation am I allowed on this one?

In all honesty, I just tried one, didn’t like the first go, so I did it again with a couple different background lighting sche,es and tried an HDR merge. Came out about as yucko as the original scan. Good idea with (likely) no chance at good resolution.
    Back to the drawing board… (as it were)

olavf
    Participant

I think in general you should try for straight-out-of-scanner with normal rules. There should probably be a little more give, but I’m not sure where the line should be drawn.

Farktographer
    Participant

Yeah, I think it’s going to be a relatively light post-processing theme since there’s no RAW images to work with. I’m honestly not expecting much, and I feel having poor-quality images will actually add some integrity to the scans. A little grainy, a little contrasty? I’ll just work with it…see what i come up with.

/Sorry to hear the news, Orionid. That sucks.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Normal post-processing rules will apply, so no HDR.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

For those not on Facebook, last week we found out orionid is no longer needed in the Navy, essentially is getting laid off in June and our wedding is Saturday so we have that, then finding a job and figuring where we want to move to on the Navy’s dime.

Yeah it’s going to be IA, VA, or PA depending on jobs. CA is right out…

Don’t forget that Oklahoma is OK! (It says so right on our license plates. Except we don’t have any nuke plants – tried to build one in the 80’s but it was abandoned due to protests and rising costs).

There’s a plant in Russellville, AR. Don’t know if they’re hiring, but based on your & orionid‘s love of outdoors, that’d be a decent place. Beautiful country there.

And my condolences on the whole affair. Getting “phased out” and having to move sucks.

linguine
    Participant

Don’t forget that Oklahoma is OK! It says so right on our license plates.

I wonder if they got the same marketer as Prince George’s county in Maryland that decided to make the welcome signs as you enter the county say “Prince George’s County – A Livable Comminity”

U-Man
    Participant

This is really fun.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Don’t forget that Oklahoma is OK! It says so right on our license plates.

I wonder if they got the same marketer as Prince George’s county in Maryland that decided to make the welcome signs as you enter the county say “Prince George’s County – A Livable Comminity”

Having lived in PG County until I left for college I’ll just note that it’s a big, long, bizarrely shaped entity and it’s “livability” is highly dependent on where you are in the county.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll be sitting this one out. Will keep the project on my ‘wish’ list, though, as I have 1/2 the parts. But I refuse to buy a new scanner for the project; until I can get one for cheap, not happening. 🙁

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

This is really fun.

This does not bode well if anyone was hoping to take first place … or second, or third 😉

ravnostic, can’t you borrow someone’s, or use a work scanner on your break? That would suck if you can’t play. Looking forward to see what people come up with for this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.