06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

The decision process is going to wrack me hard.

Welcome to the club, rav. And I’ve still got one idea that I want to try tonight…

ravnostic
    Participant

PS: You’re Beautiful

Indeed! I like the pulley system. I’ll bet you’ll get some really cool effects from the lens/scanner rod combo.

This is why I hope content will count for something; had I realized I would eventually break down and buy a scanner anyway, I might have done so earlier and made more time to MacGyver something, though probably not as cool at yours. I can’t wait to see the results (and, can I hope that you’ll post a thread with pictures of the process?)

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Dear my scanner…

Good grief, man, don’t leave us hanging! Does it work or not???

BTW, love the cave shots from that flickr stream. Always been a big fan of caves.

orionid
    Participant

PS: You’re Beautiful

Indeed! I like the pulley system. I’ll bet you’ll get some really cool effects from the lens/scanner rod combo.

This is why I hope content will count for something; had I realized I would eventually break down and buy a scanner anyway, I might have done so earlier and made more time to MacGyver something, though probably not as cool at yours. I can’t wait to see the results (and, can I hope that you’ll post a thread with pictures of the process?)

I’m shelving it. The self-check is in the hardware code and can’t be skipped. In early testing, before I started permanent changes, I was able to override the fact that there’s no bulb to calibrate with, by shining a bright light onto the lens, but now, nothing I do is getting past that point, regardless of software settings or mechanical alignment.

U-Man
    Participant

Incidently; has anyone checked for the settings they are using? My scanner has a ‘photo’ setting where I get squat for depth of field. Using ‘Document’, I get the better range. Ya’ll might want to check, though I dunno why ‘document’ enhances DOF; perhaps because one may be scanning a book with a seam or some such.

And I’ve now screwed myself. I have some 6 or 7 images that I simply *must* use. I need a doppleganger me so I can post them all. The decision process is going to wrack me hard.

NOW you tell me. I could have used some DoF this afternoon.

And I have four. Zero – are you gonna go with the Andy Warhol? I think I’ll give Mopsy a holler to see if she’ll help decide. (but she’s competitive enough that she just might fib)

cameraflage
    Participant

Who would have thought that a cat scan would be so difficult?

lokisbong
    Participant

Who would have thought that a cat scan would be so difficult?

That would be too funny to watch! 😆

QueenBee
    Participant

OK. I’ve got a couple of images that I guess work. Not overly inspired but I guess we’ll see what voters think. I did try to scan my (covered) tits thinking hey boobs always get votes, but hard to press them up against something so small and close the cover enough to set the scanner off. Oh well 😛

ravnostic
    Participant

NOW you tell me. I could have used some DoF this afternoon.

Hey, I’ve been busy learning the scanner; only thought about others after I’d captured my selections.

*sorry!!!*

😉

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

U-man, I’m not using my soup cans. I have two, and I liked the one without the colored plastic better, but there’s other images I like better than that. The cans scans in question:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/5810512256/lightbox/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/5809815735/lightbox/

Orionid, too bad that didn’t work out in time. Hope you can get it going at some future date.

orionid
    Participant

Orionid, too bad that didn’t work out in time. Hope you can get it going at some future date.

Ehh, I’ve got 2.5 other shots, even if two of them are from a flatbed scanner in its normal orientation. I think to make the above project work, I’ll either need to try again with a cheaper scanner that doesn’t have a self-check procedure, or find a hardware code savvy friend with an eprom burner to hack it for me.

If I had something with a full ccd bar and pinholes (Like the Canon LIDE series) instead of a cmos stick (like any epson or high end canon), I could have just pulled the glass, slapped a lens into a cardboard box and had a field day. And, of course, the six or so scanners that have been sitting on the shelf at goodwill since the beginning of time all disappeared while we were in VA.

ravnostic
    Participant

I try not to ask for help; but I just can’t decide on my last image this week. If it were yout’s, would you go for the ‘poignant’ shot of family memorabilia, or the ‘gee, I’m drunk; I’d better stop now’ shot?

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jun/08/scanner05sml.jpg

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jun/08/scanner06sml.jpg

The story behind the family mem. stuff is that it’s all that remains, excepting a burnt-edged stack of letters (one of which is shown) from a house fire my parents suffered about 5 years ago. I sifted with a paint brush and sieve and small shovel to get what few items are in the image. Point to be driven home is ‘have you a back-up of your documents in a separate location? Because what was lost far exceeded what remains.

All the family photos dating to the dawn of American photography (they were well-to-do back then) were lost in the fire; it was a crazy random happenstance that I’d been there a few weeks before and scanned a good many images for use in my ‘Family Tree Maker’ program project that we have any historical documents left at all. But the quality certainly isn’t what could be achieved today. Very sad.

//nevermind. Conveyance of the importance of back-ups supersedes votes this week.

////side note: Beyond the garage where the family memorabilia was kept, the fire also took out the kitchen. The family cookbooks and recipes and such were ‘toasted’, but not beyond salvageable. However, my mother is uber-sensitive to odors, and especially the smell of fire (since then); I kept what I’d saved, charred may it have been, and mom would occasionally call and I’d dig up an old recipe.

I managed to find copies of the 1961(3?) Fannie Farmer cookbook, which I presented to her for her birthday in August the following year (and got a copy for myself, as well.) She cried. She thought I’d had her tattered, in-5-pieces cookbook restored. In reality I’d paid $2 bucks for a barely-used replacement (and $3 for the copy for me.)

There was a set of holiday cookie recipes, “A World of Cookies”, that I grew up with, that she’d gotten from a bag of Gold Medal flour in the early 70’s; it became a family tradition to make them each year during the holidays. I didn’t find them, but a lot of the pantry was totally burnt, so in September that year I wrote to General Mills, detailing the recipes, even some of the cookie names (Norwegian wreaths, English toffee, etc), and asked if they per chance, had them somewhere. I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift.

Christmas came and went.

In February the following year, out of the blue and at my workplace, a co-worker told me she had a person calling me from General Mills. Not even remembering and very confused, I took the call, and the lady profusely apologized for taking so long, but asked me if Finnish Almond Brittle and Brazilian Coffee Bites might have been some of the other recipes, and after some discussion, I knew she’d found what I had been looking for.

She emailed me the recipes, and offered to send along a copy of the reprinted original Betty Crocker cookbook to give to my mother to renew a collection of family recipes. No charge.

I emailed mom the same day. Subject: “Merry Christmas, give or take a couple months.”

Mom called back shortly after, and said “Russ, you’re not giving gifts, you’re giving memories.”

To this day it’s the highest compliment I’ve ever received.

4 months later, while looking for another recipe, I found the original, tucked away, taped-in-the-middle, within one of the burnt “Encyclopedia of Recipes” cookbooks. If anyone’s interested, I’m scanning it now.

sleeping
    Participant

If I had something with a full ccd bar and pinholes (Like the Canon LIDE series)

I think I have a LIDE scanner in a drawer someplace. Do you want it (assuming I can find it)?

U-Man
    Participant

I certainly enjoyed your message, rav. I was smiling through much of it.

But to answer your question — IMO the beer will play better. For the memorabilia to work, you would need to tell the story. And not enough of the Fark crowd is going to read the story. (plus, you’d be selling words, not pics)

U-Man
    Participant

orionid – While not as bummed as you are, I’m bummed that you couldn’t make that work…yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.