06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Go for it. You are so creative, you’re bound to get votes! 😀

Why, what a nice thing to say! I believe I have two images I like well enough to use, maybe a third one, but the night is young (for someone who works nights and has this one off); we’ll see what I come up with.

But I’ll concur with everyone else–this has been a hoot! (And a challenge, as well). And I do have an idea I haven’t tried yet, for the tear-jerker votes (to be executing tonight; hope it pans out well.

I look forward to seeing everyone’s works.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

The idea is to take 4 different colors of cellophane, saran wrap, or as my wife suggested the clear covers they sell for kids’ book reports, and divide the glass of your scanner into quadrants. Lay a Campbell’s soup can in the center of each quadrant, et voila – your own personal Andy Warhol.

Already got one … in the CAN *rim shot*

/thought I was being all clever-like, now everyone’s gonna think I stole your idea grumble grumble 😉

rav glad you can participate! Sounds like you got a good machine for DOF. Like lokisbong, I have one of the cheap (HP) ones that blurs anything more than 5mm from the glass. Also, absolutely move stuff while scanning, that is part of the uniqueness of scanography.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

*** Shakes fist in the air *** Zeeero! Are you my less lazy doppleganger? Weren’t you also the one who did the Fark bacon for vote whoring that I’d also considered but decided was too much effort?

That’s too funny. Great minds and all that, eh? Oh, and I’m looking forward to seeing it actually executed!

loki, I couldn’t tell from your response if you were actually looking for ideas, but I did have another one that would fit the capabilities of your scanner. If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll PM it to you.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah it’s going to be IA, VA, or PA depending on jobs. CA is right out…

I suppose to be consistent we should consider GA, LA, MA, and WA too.

How did I miss this?

Ga, Ga, Ia, La, La-a
    Pa, Pa, Ma, Wa, Wa-a
    Ga, Ga, Ia, Ca, Ca

Want your bad romance…

//Here all night (rinks are free for the entertainment). Taking requests… 😀

On another note, I think if I’m as happy with my progress as I am, then you people are going to blow. me. away. The drinking and the scanning shall continue…

orionid
    Participant

(rinks are free for the entertainment).

Ice or roller?

U-Man
    Participant

I don’t think anyone needs any ideas for this one (it was a fun one, eh?), but just in case here’s one that I liked but didn’t use, free for the taking. (I liked it but came up with others that didn’t require a trip to the store to execute.)

The idea is to take 4 different colors of cellophane, saran wrap, or as my wife suggested the clear covers they sell for kids’ book reports, and divide the glass of your scanner into quadrants. Lay a Campbell’s soup can in the center of each quadrant, et voila – your own personal Andy Warhol.

Since I didn’t actually try to execute it, the only problem I see is whether the cellophane would show up well enough. It may require holding the scanner cover over it to get a white reflection. (And whether the voters would like it was another question, but that’s not exactly specific to this idea ;))

Well, well, well. I did this shot about two weeks ago. It was intended to be my sleeper. Now it’ll look like a copier. :[

I didn’t use plastic wrap though. I used a different colored plastic. Plus I did…something else. With my HP 5 mm DoF it didn’t turn out great. But I’m using it. Zero, you’ll probably get posted first ’cause my wife scheduled some river-boat dinner-cruise thing with friends tomorrow evening. Grumble, grumble

lokisbong
    Participant

loki, I couldn’t tell from your response if you were actually looking for ideas, but I did have another one that would fit the capabilities of your scanner. If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll PM it to you.

I will always like to hear other ideas. I am not short of ideas this week but your idea might work out even better than what I have so far.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, well, well. I did this shot about two weeks ago. It was intended to be my sleeper. Now it’ll look like a copier. :[

Well now, aren’t we an original bunch?! 😆 “There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt.” – Audre Lorde

Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of it (with your “something else”) as well!

U-Man
    Participant

And actually, I just had an epiphany of a possible epic scan idea. Just need to make it work…

Got three good enufs right now though.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Now that I’ve spoiled everyone’s surprise entry, can I get an opinion on a couple of possibles for my 3rd entry?

Here’s my original selection. It’s a souvenir statuette from Chichen Itza that I just thought looked cool. It’s 2″ deep, so you can see my scanner has a decent DOF, which is surprising given that it’s several years old.

And here’s the alternate that I’m wavering on. It’s a 4800 dpi scan of the date stamp on a 151-year-old penny. I think it’s quite interesting to see the wear and tear at that detail level, but I don’t know if it has the visual appeal of the statue. Or are they both just meh?

BTW, I’m going with all static entries this week. I tried the moving thing and while it was fun and produced some interesting images, I wasn’t particularly thrilled with any of them.

** Edited to remove links that no longer work

Kestrana
    Participant

Re: saran wrap on the scanner – I totally made it work. The trick for me was to tape the saran wrap as I was stretching it out. Where the wrap touches the glass and sticks to it is not visible in the final scan. At the edges there is some ribbing from the weight of the object stretching the wrap. Edit: Beware of using something cold though, especially if you can’t open your scanner. When I was done I had created condensation beneath the glass.

I’m not planning on using this so, as they say, the proof is in the pudding:

Pistachio for 2 by kestrana, on Flickr

I did try a scan of me eating it at the end but it wasn’t so evocative.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

*** Shakes fist in the air *** Mendooozaaaa, er I mean, U-maaaan!!!

Go ahead with yours, if you like. I was planning on making mine a b-side anyway. I think Warhol is way overrated anyway :p
    CauseISaidSo , if I am thinking like you and U-man, I am definitely on the right track! Re your two photos, I like the coin better. Keeping in mind, I’m a coin collector who loves macro photos 😕

ravnostic
    Participant

CISS; I like the penny, too.

My two cents.

Get it?

//the hillarity continues. Drinks are still free for the entertainment. Fully taken advantage of, btw.

ravnostic
    Participant

Incidently; has anyone checked for the settings they are using? My scanner has a ‘photo’ setting where I get squat for depth of field. Using ‘Document’, I get the better range. Ya’ll might want to check, though I dunno why ‘document’ enhances DOF; perhaps because one may be scanning a book with a seam or some such.

And I’ve now screwed myself. I have some 6 or 7 images that I simply *must* use. I need a doppleganger me so I can post them all. The decision process is going to wrack me hard.

orionid
    Participant

Dear my scanner:
    I know you don’t feel like yourself, having be hacksawed, shortened, rerouted, bracketed, bearinged, and framed. I know that fancy Nikon lens feels a little different than your previous fixed-focus lens set to two inches through a torturous path of mirrors. But, I assure you, you can do wonderful, marvelous things, if only you’d try. I understand that your self-check tells you that the colors are all wrong, and the intensities are weird. That’s because you’re seeing the world as it is for the first time. You’ve moved beyond reflected documents into the world of the living. So, what I’m trying to say is, I don’t care about your self check, in fact, I wish you’d just skip that outright.
    Warmest Regards,
    Orionid.

PS:
    You’re Beautiful:

2011-06-07_18-27-49_160.jpg by Orionid, on Flickr

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.