06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t think there’s anything to apologize for Els; I’m amazed at your near-spotless record of diligence for the contests as it is.

Good luck with the camp! Ours (when I was still doing it) is around this time, too, and we were almost always guaranteed high heat and a decent chance of a thunderstorm. Good times, though.

ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, so I gave in, sucked it up, and bought a damned brand new scanner. It has a depth of field of about 1.5″ from the surface up, which isn’t great, but is enough to do some 3-d object scanning.

I’ve been playing for a few hours now, and before I go too far–is it within the theme to do some artsy-fartsy type shots? In particular, does/do this/these three dimentional object/s have to be stationery? (stationary? too lazy to look it up.)

ravnostic
    Participant

p.s.; I can at least get a round tuit and scan my ancient print photos, I suppose. Some day. round tuits are hard to come by.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You can do whatever you want with your objects as long as they’re 3D.

And thanks, CauseISaidSo, I’m kinda OCD about blocking out Wednesdays and generally Thursdays as well. Just didn’t work out this time. Next week’s forecast is indeed hot, and now they’re calling for storms *sigh*. As long as they aren’t rotating, I’m ok with that, though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Off….line?

*shudders*

Good luck Els!

Uh yeah, I”m going to need it. This will be the longest I’ve been offline in..uh…a long time. And no froo-froo girly lattes either. Wonder if I could bring my espresso machine so I can still enjoy my sugar free hazelnut latte with whip cream in the morning? Barring that…maybe I could pick up some clear tequila and pre-fill my water bottle…..

/kidding
    //or am I
    ///there’s a patch for sarcastic humor, right??

U-Man
    Participant

Okay, so I gave in, sucked it up, and bought a damned brand new scanner. It has a depth of field of about 1.5″ from the surface up, which isn’t great, but is enough to do some 3-d object scanning.

I’ve been playing for a few hours now, and before I go too far–is it within the theme to do some artsy-fartsy type shots? In particular, does/do this/these three dimentional object/s have to be stationery? (stationary? too lazy to look it up.)

I’m proud of you.

I’d say that scanning something moving or moving the scanner is half the fun.

But I’ll bet that my stationary shot gets more votes…

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m proud of you.

I’d say that scanning something moving or moving the scanner is half the fun.

But I’ll bet that my stationary shot gets more votes…

Maisy sat still long enough to get scanned? 😯 😛

//I’m reminded of the Irfanview logo…

Curious
    Participant

i was online using skype yesterday and talking about this contest. grabbed an object and scanned it just to see how it worked. presto, now i have an entry.

not sure just what else i’ll use but this random one is good.

mopsy
    Participant

Rav, I would have done the same thing. You’re going to have fun, plus, it’s just a good piece of equipment to have available in your home. I’m always copying things on mine. But this whole scanning pictures thing is a blast! The results are immediate. You either like it or not. Move on to something else or tweek the one you just created. Go for it. You are so creative, you’re bound to get votes! 😀

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t think anyone needs any ideas for this one (it was a fun one, eh?), but just in case here’s one that I liked but didn’t use, free for the taking. (I liked it but came up with others that didn’t require a trip to the store to execute.)

The idea is to take 4 different colors of cellophane, saran wrap, or as my wife suggested the clear covers they sell for kids’ book reports, and divide the glass of your scanner into quadrants. Lay a Campbell’s soup can in the center of each quadrant, et voila – your own personal Andy Warhol.

Since I didn’t actually try to execute it, the only problem I see is whether the cellophane would show up well enough. It may require holding the scanner cover over it to get a white reflection. (And whether the voters would like it was another question, but that’s not exactly specific to this idea ;))

lokisbong
    Participant

CauseISaidSo your idea sounds cool but my cheap ass(as in free) scanner has a depth of focus about maybe a 1/8 of an inch. Great idea for those with higher quality scanners though I bet. With mine any thing much thicker than a coin is blurry above the glass.

Curious
    Participant

it will be interesting to see how well the 3D part plays out.

orionid
    Participant

I just learned that saran wrap doesn’t work so well….. About the time you get all the bubbles smoothed out, you leave a nice long scratch in it from your ring…. Bah!

mopsy
    Participant

Was thinking about using some plastic wrap for some messier ideas. Decided against it. Guess it was a good call.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

orionid, did you try a scan with the saran wrap bubbled up/crinkly? I was curious as to whether that would add any kind of a cool texture or effect to whatever’s being scanned (but not curious enough to have tried it myself, hence the question…)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 182 total)
  • The topic ‘06-08-11 – Scanner As Camera’ is closed to new replies.