06-16-10 – Monumental

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-16-10 – Monumental

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph statues, monuments, and other memorials. Note: Subjects should be man-made.

Theme suggestion kudos go to bucky_bacon!

Kestrana
    Participant

So this should be limited to things that commemorate something right? Vs. public art that is a statue?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If we go full grammar nerd in our parsing, there’s a case for commemorative-only works, but I think the intent was for any kind of statue or monument to be fair game.

ravnostic
    Participant

On the one hand, I was thinking it should be the nerdy parsing, as that’s how it’s written. On the other hand, my best idea for this thus far requires a looser interpretation. Will Bucky chime in before too long, I hope?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not sure bucky_bacon is that big a grammar nerd to have worded it that way intentionally, and I think most people would read it and just presume any kind of statue would qualify. But yes, hopefully bucky_bacon will clarify.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Would headstones in graveyards count as memorials?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In my book, yes. They’re considered both monuments and memorials.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Any type of statue is fine and acceptable. Any type of “art” statue is cool, it doesn’t have to be a memorial statue. Monuments, commemorative or otherwise are all in too. Well I guess that monuments by definition are commemorative, but I digress… Any kind of other makeshift memorials are in too to help keep things opened up. So yes, headstones do also count too. The three categories in the description are meant to be separate and independent of each other, while still related to the overall theme.

With me, just for reference, I try to keep things as open as possible and then if there is something questionable to the theme then I leave it to the voters to decide if it’s appropriate or not. In general we seem to really nit pick here before the contest opens then once it comes time to get down to it, it always works itself out. And if something is really off base then our awesome modmins take care of business. So yeah, get all of your pics in! The idea is to try to showcase our best shots possible, yeah? So let’s not limit ourselves and what we can enter.

/// Sorry for the delay. I’ve been without proper internet for the last 11 days. All is well now though!

LeicaLens
    Participant

Thanks. Got it.

clouddancer
    Participant

I’m 99.9% certain I will have a photograph of a “unique” statue. Unless there are any other central Maine farktographers, I’ll be the only one with such an entry. 🙂

We ended up in Bangor again today (overcast, though) and I had my camera on hand, and I asked if we could head by the Paul Bunyan statue because I remembered this contest. That thing is ginormous at 31 feet tall (the sign claimed it to be the tallest, I think). Not sure what else I will enter (if anything else), but that is one definite monumental statue!

Curious
    Participant

i have umpteen gigabytes of gravestones but may shot some more for this. you just can’t have enough gravestones !!

plus a photo session is a good excuse for a trip to the coast.

lokisbong
    Participant

i have umpteen gigabytes of gravestones but may shot some more for this. you just can’t have enough gravestones !!

plus a photo session is a good excuse for a trip to the coast.

I once had a lady friend who grew up in Louisiana and she had a freak fit the last time I went to th cemetery to take pictures. I have no problem doing so but she seemed to think it was bad luck or something. Man she yelled at me for about 20 minutes. I don’t tell her anymore.I need to go this weekend also.

Curious
    Participant

while i live in LA now i grew up in southern California and lived for 8 years in Austin so i don’t share the fear/awe/whatever of cemeteries that many do down here.

one of the things i do like about this area is occasionally you will stumble upon a small family cemetery. often neglected but not always. there is a four or five grave plot right on the edge of the public right of way on MS607 a little below I10. it gets overrun then someone will clean it and then it gets overrun again and cleaned again, etc. if memory serves it dates back to at least the turn of the century.

no not ten years ago 🙂

there are two small cemeteries on Hwy 190 and a family cemetery on HWY 90 a mile or so above fort pike. and two Crawford family cemeteries, one in Pearl River and down the road in Hickory.

the small cemetery finds were pretty good around Austin too once you got a few miles out of town.

Curious
    Participant

if you go to my flickr page i just upload a couple of headstone shots that are one of the many reason i love cemeteries.

as you wander in a cemetery you can see the lives of folks played out in their headstones.

and if you hadn’t figured it out one of my all time favorite books is spoon river anthology

ravnostic
    Participant

Crap–just saw the BB response. How’d I miss that? Must have been drunk the first time I clickitied. Now I have to find that picture….or retake it if I can’t…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-16-10 – Monumental’ is closed to new replies.