06-16-10 – Monumental

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-16-10 – Monumental

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

That old thing? Made in France, it’s a piece of junk.

U-Man
    Participant

Damn Frenchie frogs think they know style. I’ll show you style…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

/didn’t RTFA, just caught the headline.

clouddancer
    Participant

Have a small dilemma here, could use some advice. I have 2 pictures I want to post for this contest, and a third that isn’t a monument picture, but rather the accompanying sign with some info about the monument, so not looking to post that for voting, just as a link. The issue? I’m heading to the hospital Thursday morning, to be there at 6 a.m. to have the baby (c-section). I’d normally be up to post after midnight when it goes green, but I’m going to try to get work finished early so I can possibly go to bed early to have some amount of decent rest (possibly) before I have to be up and at ’em for the hospital. Obviously, won’t be near a computer, and my parents will be here to help with Atrus, etc. No one is going to be in any shape or mood to pause to post this for me here, so it’s either stay up and do it myself, or ask one of you.

So, should I stay up anyway (as I’ll likely do anyway because I’m used to being up at 1 and 2 a.m.) or ask for an OBO? I have the clicky-pop html text and stuff all ready to go, it just needs to be posted come the right time. Thanks for any input.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, I asked bucky_bacon on FB and this is what he said:

Sorry cant post to the site from my phone but if you would want to clarify for me – yes totem poles are right in, as far as natural monuments? I was shooting for man made stuff. I didn’t specify I suppose, but that was the intent. I can see the argument if something natural is classified as a ‘monument’ but its not really in the spirit of the theme. Hope that helps.

I asked if I should add “man-made” to the description, and he said yes. So there ya go.

Kestrana
    Participant

If you PM me the text for your pictures I’ll post OBO for you. Or email it to me at cjmontague@gmail.com

linguine
    Participant

The natural national monuments would fit in the parks theme, so people that want to enter those could vote for that theme.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Well. Liberty Island national monument has an old copper statue, but it’s all corroded and green. Probably wouldn’t make for good photos anyway.

I just to say that I will NOT be posting photos of that Statue, primarily because I won’t go out there because of the tourists. I refuse to pay 25 bucks to be loaded like cattle onto a boat and then be herded through a tour of the SoL. I’ll shoot her from the surrounding shore, but I can’t stomach the thought of going to Liberty Island.

linguine
    Participant

I just to say that I will NOT be posting photos of that Statue, primarily because I won’t go out there because of the tourists. I refuse to pay 25 bucks to be loaded like cattle onto a boat and then be herded through a tour of the SoL. I’ll shoot her from the surrounding shore, but I can’t stomach the thought of going to Liberty Island.

One of my first decent farktography entries came from one of those boat rides. Although it was facing back towards the city with my back to the statue.

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

I have an entry or two and I plan to post the signs explaining them in the same post. If people want to vote they will only be voting for the statue. Is this OK?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This is generally frowned upon. You really should only post a single photo, because additional photos may influence votes besides the fact that the rules pretty clearly state one photo per post. You can certainly post a link to the signs if you want, though.

U-Man
    Participant

This is generally frowned upon. You really should only post a single photo, because additional photos may influence votes besides the fact that the rules pretty clearly state one photo per post. You can certainly post a link to the signs if you want, though.

I understand what you are saying. But…

There’s always a ‘but’. Did I cross this line last week with the pop-link to the ‘For Sale’ 3600 Chevy? I put it out there just because I thought it was fun. But, now that I think about it, it may have blurred the line a bit.

Would it be OK to link to a photo with the sign? Or is that a slippery slope?

Perhaps the bestest and safest thing to do would be to simply quote the sign in the typed text.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Honestly, I would have preferred you wouldn’t have done that for the same reason. It comes down to a question of what the voters are voting on. The photo you posted or the photo you link/pop-link to or a combination of the two? I can see an argument for it on the one hand, and certainly linking is better than putting a second photo directly inline with your main entry, but on the other hand, adding extra photos in links or whatever or even posting a paragraph of background or other information with a photo would potentially mean that the photo itself isn’t the only thing drawing whatever votes an entry gets. I’m guilty of occasionally posting longish captions myself, though I try to stay away from it. In the past we’ve had spirited debates over photos speaking for themselves vs captioning/explaining/soliloquizing, not that anything’s ever been decided on that front.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was thinking of this (posting additional pictures) as well. I was planning on linking to the ‘bigguns’ picture, and there linking to a ad-hoc page with other views and signage. I’ll await further arguments here before doing anything, I guess.

clouddancer
    Participant

That’s why I plan on linking to a picture that is next to the Paul Bunyan statue that has some information on the statue, and I’ll keep the text brief. I’d link to a site, but can’t find anything consistent with what the sign says, or between sites. My two pictures are of that statue, though only one shows the whole thing. I’ll be curious to see if anyone else posts a Paul Bunyan statue.

Kestrana – Thank you for offering to post OBO for me. As usual, I’m still undecided about what will happen tomorrow night. I’ll likely be up regardless because there’s no work on my account in the mornings, but it comes in the afternoon/evening, so even if I do start early I may not be able to achieve a full 8 hours of work before that late anyway. If I am able to clock out early, or take a half day with 4 hours PTO to cover the rest to kick it and rest before heading to the hospital way too early the next morning, then I’ll be sure to send you an e-mail. I mentioned it to Husband after he got home tonight and he pretty much said I may as well stay up and post myself because I’ll more than likely be anxious about the next morning and not able to sleep anyway.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

good luck with your c-section and congrats!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-16-10 – Monumental’ is closed to new replies.