06-16-10 – Monumental

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-16-10 – Monumental

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

Are “natural” monuments acceptable? You know, like “Such and Such National Monument”?

I have a great idea, but I can save it for another contest if no.

Curious
    Participant

Are “natural” monuments acceptable? You know, like “Such and Such National Monument”?

I have a great idea, but I can save it for another contest if no.

sorry but the arch fell last year

olavf
    Participant

I remember reading about that. Quite a bummer.

That’s been a National Park, not a monument for a number of years though. I was referring more to this list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Monuments_of_the_United_States

QueenBee
    Participant

bah there is a pushkin statue in the middle of nowhere here ive been wanting to shoot, but i dont know if i’ll have the time/light before wednesday. I’ll have to scour my archives. Good thing gravestones count 😛

soosh
    Participant

would a totem pole count?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I would think a totem pole would/should count. I don’t think natural monuments/parks were what Kestrana was going for, but she can clarify. Maybe we need to put “man-made” in there if that’s the case…

Kestrana
    Participant

You mean bucky_bacon but I’ll say that totem poles are fine with me too 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol yeah, bucky_bacon 😆

olavf
    Participant

I would think a totem pole would/should count. I don’t think natural monuments/parks were what Kestrana was going for, but she can clarify. Maybe we need to put “man-made” in there if that’s the case…

I wasn’t thinking “parks” but rather specific geologic locations and historic sites that have a “National Monument” status. It’s a pretty short list.

But, I’m cool with keeping natural formations out. I can save my idea for the ‘mountains, etc’ contest whenever it gets scheduled.

Curious
    Participant

so i go to Biloxi today to maybe get some new shots from a favorite cemetery. that doesn’t work out for this contest but that was ok and i come back on the cost road. a quick stop for lunch and then as as i travel west … WTH the road is blocked and the Gulfport police are making everybody detour. i can see down the road some flashing lights but nothing distinctly. and all the side roads leading back to the coast are blocked to cars but some people seem to be waking in that direction.

i pride myself on keeping up with the news but had to ask one of the cops what was going on.

oh yeah, the president was in Gulfport today.

U-Man
    Participant

Bah. I hate call weekends. I got nuthin’ but some headstones on file. And maybe and idea or two – but no time.

cameraflage
    Participant

I wasn’t thinking “parks” but rather specific geologic locations and historic sites that have a “National Monument” status. It’s a pretty short list.

But, I’m cool with keeping natural formations out. I can save my idea for the ‘mountains, etc’ contest whenever it gets scheduled.

This was going to be my question as well. I have some neat shots of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah, but I don’t want to waste them if they don’t fit the theme.

soosh
    Participant

I’d say national monuments would be right in.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, but they aren’t statues or similar, merely natural features that have been named.

orionid
    Participant

Well. Liberty Island national monument has an old copper statue, but it’s all corroded and green. Probably wouldn’t make for good photos anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-16-10 – Monumental’ is closed to new replies.