06-16-10 – Monumental

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-16-10 – Monumental

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Clouddancer good luck and congratulations!

lokisbong
    Participant

I would also like to say Good Luck Clouddancer!

justkat
    Participant

Thinking of you, Clouddancer! Congrats!

cameraflage
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Spawn of Clouddancer!!!

(you only get one real birthday…all the rest are just anniversaries. Congrats!!!)

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Finally got my puter back after my hard drive died, just in time to enter this weeks contest. I was jonesing for my Farktography fix for a few weeks there.

I also send best wishes to Clouddancer and her, um, spawn 😀

Vortex_Dweller
    Participant

I like to be late, this is turning into a habit it seems… hmmmmm. Thanks for the warm welcome of my boobies last week, feel free to pete pete & repeat. Be warned though, mine are simply moobs this week 😀

ennuipoet
    Participant

Clouddancer: I just wanted to wish both good luck, we’re all counting on you.

Vortex_Dweller
    Participant

Oh I just read this thread … well I feel real smart now for adding captions and pops to bigger. I guess my thought regarding pops to the bigger is that my image inline gets Flickerized to the smaller 540 pixel dimension. I haven’t yet found how to export at a specific pixel dimension from Aperture 3 – maybe it’s possible but if it’s not then until I buy whatever version of the photoshops I settle on then I’m not even up to the 640 size in the thread. Hurts worse with landscape oriented images, like the galveston grave doors I put up.

olavf
    Participant

Oh I just read this thread … well I feel real smart now for adding captions and pops to bigger. I guess my thought regarding pops to the bigger is that my image inline gets Flickerized to the smaller 540 pixel dimension. I haven’t yet found how to export at a specific pixel dimension from Aperture 3 – maybe it’s possible but if it’s not then until I buy whatever version of the photoshops I settle on then I’m not even up to the 640 size in the thread. Hurts worse with landscape oriented images, like the galveston grave doors I put up.

If all you’re looking to do is basic stuff, check out The Gimp – Open Source, and pretty darn powerful, though it’s interface can be a little clunky at times. I think it’s only real drawback is that it doesn’t handle 16-bit images IIRC.

We use Canon’s Digital Pro tools for most of our post-processing, and then run the jpegs through Gimp to do the final outputs – rotating, scaling, etc.

Vortex_Dweller
    Participant

If all you’re looking to do is basic stuff, check out The Gimp…

Oh, sorry. Didn’t mean to gripe. I’m not gonna Gimp. Personal issues e.g. a decade using PS7 and loving it, living in it; I spilled a glass of water awhile ago though and killed my prev mac mini (running tiger). Now all upgraded and life is good but no PS7 or (this is gonna date me) Freehand 8 due to Snow Leopard compatibility. Yes, the “new” mini sits on an elevated surface now.

I was using the Canon software as well, but must say despite being an occasional memory death biatch, Aperture 3 is really a step up for me. A lot more of a 1 stop supershop. Granted, I got it for $30 and may not be as thrilled if I’d paid the $200 retail tag… There are a few sort of seemingly basic things which I think are missing, but I’m still on the lookout to find ’em. FWIW (since it’s not old news here already, to too many folk) I did do the 30 day trial of Pixelmator ($65 retail) and it was really pretty friggin sweet. I’m a PS junkie though and would personally spring for the PSE8 before anything else. I just got a big financial munkey off mah back yesterday, so I’ll be PS’ing again soon enough! Apple sent out an OS upgrade I think may have me compatible with CS3 now, if not meh another month or so and CS4 should be an option. Thx for the thought though!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Don’t worry about the caption or pop stuff; there’s been talk about those issues off and on for years now, and we’ve never come up with a firm consensus other than to leave things as they are and debate them another day 😆 Welcome aboard 🙂

olavf
    Participant

Vortex_Dweller, gotcha. Yeah, that’s a different animal. Plus for us, PS means two seats, unless we’re willing to fight the kids for computer time on the desktop, and that gets a bit steep. I might think differently if one, or both, of us were making money off it, but as things sit I think we’re better off spending our meager camera budget on glass or other tools for taking pictures. :/

justkat
    Participant

Elsinore – what do you think about adding a few contests to the schedule? It’s not going to rain another drop here before the rain contest, so we’re going to have to go with shots we’ve already taken. And the night shots, of course, can only be taken at night! =P Thus it would be good to have more contests in mind when we go out armed with cameras. =)

/Which we fully plan on doing today or tomorrow or potentially both.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, sorry about that, justkat, I’m heading out to the store, but will get more themes on the schedule tonight for sure.

Congrats to Ranger Joe/cameraflage this week!

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-16-10 – Monumental’ is closed to new replies.