06-16-10 – Monumental

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-16-10 – Monumental

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

It comes down to a question of what the voters are voting on. The photo you posted or the photo you link/pop-link to or a combination of the two?

that how i feel about the ubiquitous “pops to bigger” that we see so much of. hell yeah all our entries look better bigger but the contest in held on fark with a 640 pixel width and 200KB file size.

and any captions added are to enhance the image 99% of the time. and therefore should be against the rules.

mumble mumble mumble

nobigdeal
    Participant

Have a small dilemma here, could use some advice. I have 2 pictures I want to post for this contest, and a third that isn’t a monument picture, but rather the accompanying sign with some info about the monument, so not looking to post that for voting, just as a link. The issue? I’m heading to the hospital Thursday morning, to be there at 6 a.m. to have the baby (c-section). I’d normally be up to post after midnight when it goes green, but I’m going to try to get work finished early so I can possibly go to bed early to have some amount of decent rest (possibly) before I have to be up and at ’em for the hospital. Obviously, won’t be near a computer, and my parents will be here to help with Atrus, etc. No one is going to be in any shape or mood to pause to post this for me here, so it’s either stay up and do it myself, or ask one of you.

So, should I stay up anyway (as I’ll likely do anyway because I’m used to being up at 1 and 2 a.m.) or ask for an OBO? I have the clicky-pop html text and stuff all ready to go, it just needs to be posted come the right time. Thanks for any input.

Congrats and good luck!

ennuipoet
    Participant

that how i feel about the ubiquitous “pops to bigger” that we see so much of. hell yeah all our entries look better bigger but the contest in held on fark with a 640 pixel width and 200KB file size.

and any captions added are to enhance the image 99% of the time. and therefore should be against the rules.

mumble mumble mumble

As long as we are limited to that tiny size, I’ve no problems with the pops to bigger. I think the dimensions on Fark suck, but I’ve made that complaint before.

I tend to agree with you on the captions, even though I am guilty of “cute captioning” myself. Though some photo captions save a lot of time and questions, where is that, what kind of bug is that, ect. Like so many Fark issues, there are so many differing opinions, it will never be truly resolved.

clouddancer
    Participant

Thank you to Elsinore and NoBigDeal for the congrats!

It looks like I’ll be posting myself tonight. Wasn’t able to catch any work to be able to start early. I just hope I don’t run out before the end of the night. Hopefully, work will be kind and I”ll be done around 1 ish.

ravnostic
    Participant

Arizona sucks for monuments. Just saying. I don’t expect many votes, except maybe for the American Gothic statue (and probably not there much, either).

ennuipoet
    Participant

Arizona sucks for monuments. Just saying. I don’t expect many votes, except maybe for the American Gothic statue (and probably not there much, either).

I really liked that one, it’s both novel in content and perspective.

+1 (when the plussing of ones is allowed)

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    ravnostic
    Participant

I really liked that one, it’s both novel in content and perspective.

+1 (when the plussing of ones is allowed)

…and the votes shall be ‘two’. 😀

I thought of, and took pictures of, more traditional stuff (USS Az memorial, Hunt’s Tomb, Tovrea Castle, etc), but in the end, figured caradoc would blow me away on those so opted for lesser-known stuff. The Gothic statues are cool; right at Main/Center in mesa, 35 feetish tall.

Shot with Tung setting because I didn’t like the harsh reds otherwise.

Kestrana
    Participant

I actually hate when people just post a picture with no captions. I like knowing where pictures were taken and sometimes, what they’re actually pictures of when it’s hard to tell or the perspective is unique. After all if we were putting together a book of our work, there would at least be provenance for pictures if not other captions.

ravnostic
    Participant

I forgot the caption on Am Gothic; had to add it down the line. *whoops*

soosh
    Participant

It comes down to a question of what the voters are voting on. The photo you posted or the photo you link/pop-link to or a combination of the two?

mumble mumble mumble

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m going to continue to have the click to see larger, because, well, dammit, 640 is too damned small to judge a photo. It just is. I wish everyone would link to a larger one.

If anything gets an unfair advantage, it’s the photos that are vertical and therefore larger on the page, so they get the enlargement without the user having to go to any effort. If we’re going to go by fark’s limit of 640 horizontal, I think 640 should be the max length on any side.

olavf
    Participant

mumble mumble mumble

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m going to continue to have the click to see larger, because, well, dammit, 640 is too damned small to judge a photo. It just is. I wish everyone would link to a larger one.

If anything gets an unfair advantage, it’s the photos that are vertical and therefore larger on the page, so they get the enlargement without the user having to go to any effort. If we’re going to go by fark’s limit of 640 horizontal, I think 640 should be the max length on any side.

FWIW I limit my vertical pictures to 700 pixels high, because most monitors (especially laptops) aren’t more than 768px high. And I have a really hard time appreciating a picture, personally, if I have to scroll to see the whole thing.

But I agree – I often wish people had linked to a larger picture. Especially those folks that post little more than thumbnails 😛

lokisbong
    Participant

mumble mumble mumble

I agree on every thing you said. Especially on the pops to bigger thing. I would hate the 640 on any side thing but it would be more fair in a way.
    I wish it would hurry up and be time for me to enter this one and see whats in this week. 9pm is 2+ damn hours away still.

justkat
    Participant

My my, what a mess of rules conversation there is going on here.

My own personal “wish” is I wish they could have the size limits be something like no more than 700 on the longest side, but continue to enforce the file size. Honestly I rarely take advantage of the pops-to-larger, but I really appreciate it being there. And it’s damn hard to get my vote if you post a thumbnail or even something like 200×300. I mean… it would have to be something else indeed for me to be able to know it’s a good picture at that size! But OTOH it honestly drives me batty when someone posts a picture like 1000 long. I mean, wtf is the point of posting something that I have to scroll to see the whole thing?! Then I have to “pops to larger” because it pops to smaller and I can actually see it.

As for captions… this is farktography, I think captions are part of the experience. Keep it short and sweet, sure (I know I occasionally break this rule, and it makes me uncomfortable every time I do. 😳 ) but don’t do away with them.

Anyhoo, interesting contest. I thought it was funny that my last two pix posted together; that’s what i get for posting so late. 😳 The one is so serious and the next is absurd. 😛 Oh well. *shrug*

Curious
    Participant

i want to thank everyone who opined on pops to bigger. my basic position is to even the playing field in so far as possible. by the same token we aren’t all equal in equipment, what we use to edit our entries (levels, etc.), how they are resized or frankly the skill of the photographer.

and i too have used captions and did tonight to explain where the shots were taken. i doubt anyone will think “hey a new orleans photo” and vote because of that but, again frankly, i won’t turn down a vote.

re the 640 x 640 we had that as a contest and while it was fun IMHO every week would be boring. that said my monitor is set at 1024 x 768 and for those entries where you have to scroll it is a distraction. that includes one of mine tonight.

so in conclusion bigger is better but i hope folks vote for the entry as it is seen on fark.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • The topic ‘06-16-10 – Monumental’ is closed to new replies.