06-24-09 – Homeless Images, Free to a Good PS’er

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-24-09 – Homeless Images, Free to a Good PS’er

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

laz-long…Is that a Heinlein thing?

I read most of the above an agree that a free-for-all sounds fun.

I don’t think I would want to use HDR in this theme because it may not lend itself to combining with other photos, but is HDR allowed?

staplermofo
    Participant

Are we going to have a guide on what’s photoshop friendly again?

laz-long
    Participant

Wow. I didn?t expect this kind of response. Thank you all. I?m really excited about seeing this go forward. Doubly so since it has been so well received by you. Special thanks to swampa for suggesting a Farktography theme that is practically custom made for the cross over.

I?ll try to answer everyone in a single post. If I miss any questions or concerns, please let me know,

Some of your posts bring up an interesting question. The original idea was to limit everything to what was found in the Farktography thread but I?m not sure if that would work. Allowing tertiary sources leads to some interesting wording of the rules and some questions about what is acceptable IE: What if I see two elements in the thread that need to be combined with the Great A’Tuin? Should this be this allowed? What about bringing in some gold Krylon paint? What do you think?

Since no one seems to be opposed to NSFW versions of their work, we can just not mention it. If someone feels so inclined, they?ll go for it.

As to using your own photo as a source, I have to join with those that say that it shouldn?t be a problem. If we?re limiting it to ?two or more photos from the linked thread? There really isn?t an advantage other than isolating the various elements ahead of time in the hopes that they will fit with what someone else supplies. As I understand it, no one sees all of the entries until the contest goes live. Is this correct?

This still leaves an open question about the timing of the two contests. Do we place the PS contest in the ?Upcoming Contests? queue a week before it hits the main page (a week after the Farktography contest is published on main) or do we drop them basically simultaneously? In this case, I?d like to see them show up on the main page at the same time with a note saying that everyone is seeing it at the same time.

Yes, Laz Long (laz-long) is a Heinlein reference. The ultimate dirty old man.

HDR? I have no idea. I?ve never worked with it.

Elsinore was kind enough to ask that I submit the PS thread to kick this off on that side of the house, so I?m trying to hash out what the initial post is going to look like. So far, I?ve got the title and rules as something like this:

?Photoshop/Farktography mash up ? This time it?s official?

Our friends in the Farktography forum have graciously given permission for their photos in (Link to Farktography thread) to be mangled/enhanced/combined within reason. The rules are:
    ? Use two or more of the photos from (Link to Farktography thread) as O?s.
    ? Please limit the yourself to what you find in the thread. Note that this one is debatable. I?d appreciate feedback and any suggestions on the wording depending on whether tertiary sources are allowed.
    ? Please give credit to your sources by name and a link to the O (thumbnails would be extra nice if you have the bandwidth)
    ? You might want to delay voting for a week to give everyone a chance to participate. Everyone is seeing the contest at the same time. Again, depending on how we approach this contest
    ? If you haven?t done so already, don?t forget to vote for your favorite photograph(s) while you are perusing the O?s.

What would you like to see added, changed or deleted?

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

The reason I’ve been lobbying for less restrictions on the Farktography contest (and now the follow-on PS contest) is that linking the two adds enough complexity already. I don’t think we should make it any harder than is necessary to maximize the number of participants in both contests.

For that reason, and just to reflect the way I think PS folks work, I don’t think we should constrain people to only using content from the photos in the Farktography contest. If you want to say pixels from the photos need to be the focus of the resulting image that’s fine. But a ban on pulling additional source material is a bit too limiting.

So how about these changes…

? Use imagery from two or more of the photos from (Link to Farktography thread) in your composition.

? Please make sure what you find in the thread is the focus of the resulting image or is at least highlighted.

I’d drop the “You might want to delay voting for a week” bit. I’m not sure what that means, so maybe I’m missing something?

On the timing of the second part of this linked contest… I suggested that we time the PS contest so that it goes live like a week after the Farktography contest goes live. So the entire Farktography thread, including the liter’s entries, will be available for the PS’ers from the time the PS contest hits the “contests” page. Again, in the interest of getting as many people to participate as possible, I think making all the source photos available from the beginning would be a good thing.

olavf
    Participant

I think doing them simultaneously, or at least a day apart would be appropriate. Ties everything together nicely.

As far as teritary sources go, I don’t see why they couldn’t be allowed so long as it’s not a major element. What that means exactly I’m not sure though.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Are we going to have a guide on what’s photoshop friendly again?

Here are my suggestions, which are just one person’s perspective. I’d encourage other PS’ers that are reading this to chime in as well… Also, I’ll post something on the PSAEF forum asking for more feedback. It can’t hurt, eh?

All of these characteristics add to the potential of a source image when I’m searching for something to work with.

– The higher the resolution the better, with something like 800×800 being the minimum if I’m cutting something out of the image to be added to another image. The process of pulling an element out, resizing, re-shaping (perspective tool), and adjusting color levels all tend to introduce blurring or other distortions. So starting with a larger image helps hide those artifacts. So providing a link to a bigger version for this one is definitely a plus.

– The larger the depth of field the better. As much as a love artistic, abstract photos where only a small window is in focus, it’s hard to turn them into something else. Adding to them is painful since you have to simulate various degrees of in/out focus. And pulling elements out if hard since they aren’t likely to be completely in focus.

– If there’s an element (or elements) that are the core focus of the image, which PS’ers will probably want to cut out and put in another image, those element(s) should be completely visible and not cropped by the edge of the photo. If the focal element(s) are entirely captured in the frame, then there should be a clean/obvious way to cut out the element and have it make sense without the bits that got left behind. So if “supporting imagery”, as opposed to the main focus, is between the camera and the main focus of the photo such that it partially obscures the main elements that makes more work for the PS’er. It’s harder to cut out and might require them to construct missing bits, which can be a pain.

– Good lighting, meaning where you get a wide contrast range without overexposure or underexposure is great. Combining images together often involves match colors, bright/contrast levels, and levels of blurring. If the source your working with covers a wide range of light/dark and also a wide range of color saturations it’s looks better once you tweak it to match other imagery.

– A number of people have suggested that photos which are already funny are harder to work with. I think the idea is that a photo which is intentionally composed to tell a joke has a narrow focus already and might be hard to deconstruct and repurpose. I think that can be the case for elaborate setups, say groups of people dressed in costume. But if you can see a way to pull elements out of a funny photo someone can probably work with it.

On the “oh cool” bonus front…

– Extra images from a photo shoot showing the same imagery from a different perspective, with things shifted a bit, obvious passage of some time, etc… are all great. If you provide a link to more photos related to the image you posted it could help a PS’er create a composition where design elements are rotated slightly, duplicated but not identical, etc… Also, if some part of the primary photo does need reconstruction due to cropping, being partially obscured, etc.. the alternate photos might have elements that can be used.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I think doing them simultaneously, or at least a day apart would be appropriate. Ties everything together nicely.

As far as teritary sources go, I don’t see why they couldn’t be allowed so long as it’s not a major element. What that means exactly I’m not sure though.

It can takes days to come up with a PS idea, find the source images, create a few versions you discard, etc… before coming up with something worth posting. If there’s no time between the Farktography contest and the PS contest I’m concerned there will be very few entries.

olavf
    Participant

maybe I understood it wrong. I thought that there was a week from the post date to the contest for PS’s. So my understanding was that they’d have a week from when we started posting pics to do their entries before voting starts?

laz-long
    Participant

I’d drop the “You might want to delay voting for a week” bit. I’m not sure what that means, so maybe I’m missing something?

It’s tied into the timing question. In most PS contests, the thread hits the main page with TF entries and most of the voting is done before the liters have time to post. I’m just trying to figure out how to maximize participation.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

maybe I understood it wrong. I thought that there was a week from the post date to the contest for PS’s. So my understanding was that they’d have a week from when we started posting pics to do their entries before voting starts?

OK, then we’re saying the same thing and I just misinterpreted you. Sorry about that!

To try to clarify (in case I’ve confused other people too). Here’s a rough idea of what I was suggesting.

– Farktography contest goes live on the main page Wed night

– PS mash-up idea goes on the “upcoming contests” page the night or the night after

– The “go live on the main page” date for the PS contest would be roughly a week later, say the following Tuesday

Actually if the PS contest hits the “upcoming contests” page on Wed/Thu the timing should auto-magically work out based on how far out the contest are usually scheduled.

laz-long
    Participant

Sort of. Usually TFER’s get a week to work on an O. The link hits the main page with voting enabled. The non-TFER’s then have to play catch up. It is sort of lop-sided since most of the voting is done before they have a chance to post. That is a perk we get for subscribing.

Themes are a bit different. Everyone can see the upcoming contests in the queue and have their theme ready to post as soon as the thread hits main.

This case is little strange. Everyone would be able to see the title as soon as it is in the queue, but the rules won’t be available to non-TFER’s until it hits the main page. This is why I’ve suggested dropping them simultaneously. It would be discouraging if someone saw the title in the queue, did all of the work and then found out that their work didn’t qualify.

laz-long
    Participant

OK, then we’re saying the same thing and I just misinterpreted you. Sorry about that!

To try to clarify (in case I’ve confused other people too). Here’s a rough idea of what I was suggesting.

– Farktography contest goes live on the main page Wed night

– PS mash-up idea goes on the “upcoming contests” page the night or the night after

– The “go live on the main page” date for the PS contest would be roughly a week later, say the following Tuesday

Actually if the PS contest hits the “upcoming contests” page on Wed/Thu the timing should auto-magically work out based on how far out the contest are usually scheduled.

Now that I’ve read your suggestion, it makes sense too.

I’m wondering if we should just take this question (timing of the two contests) back to the PSAE forum and see what everyone thinks?

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I’m wondering if we should just take this question (timing of the two contests) back to the PSAE forum and see what everyone thinks?

Sounds like a good idea.

FYI, I posted a note on the PSAEF soliciting feedback on what those folks thought would make a photo a good source for a PS entry. I included a link to this forum but also volunteered to relay any suggestions they offered.

Curious
    Participant

laz-long and Choc-Ful-A and probably Elsinore keep in mind that the PS timing part will also be controlled by Drew or some other fark admin. from past experience i can tell you that this will require an email or two.

Drew is very helpful but often busy and may need to get up to speed here. i suggest we (you guys pick who) contact him now with the basic idea and explain you will need him to set the greenlight based on what we decide.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not terribly worried about getting things worked out in terms of timing, as long as we have a consensus on what to do. I think I can get the appropriate folks to work with us on it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)
  • The topic ‘06-24-09 – Homeless Images, Free to a Good PS’er’ is closed to new replies.