06-29-11 – umop 3p!sdn

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-29-11 – umop 3p!sdn

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I hadn’t noticed the line until you mentioned it, but I think since it runs across the full width of the image, it’s a bit much to retouch for Farktography.

oddmind
    Participant

Ravnostic, that’s destined to be a classic. I was pleased that you included all four of smoking, drinking, amphetamines and sniffing glue. Your effort inspires me.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks Orionid and oddmind! I had hoped it would be a ‘cinch to win’, but against some of these other photos (that duck critter kashari captured, U-Man‘s rocks-on-a-fingertip, (Be)CISS‘s bus shot, and speaking of the big O, OMG–that beer bottle ‘dame’ had me rolling!!) I’m quite happy it’s doing as well as it is. I love the creativity everyone’s brought; this contest is going to be one of my favorites of the year, for sure.

Oddmind, Flattery will get you everywhere! I hope you take any inspiration I’ve given and put it to good use. 🙂 You’ve posted some really nice entries since you’ve become more active; I look forward to more, and even ‘bettar’ ones.

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

Is anyone else having problems with voting? I just went back to the thread and discovered that none of the votes I had made earlier were registered.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

powerfulkatrinka, I see that quite a bit. Evidently the “already voted” indicator is only good for a short time before it reverts back to the normal vote box. However, your votes should still be there and if you try to vote for the same entries again, you should get a message saying so.

rav, thanks for the callout, but the bus shot is really just a matter of luck in already having a shot that fits well in this contest. I took it as a humorous entry for the end-of-camp slideshow that we made for the parents. Your entry, on the other hand, created just for this contest, is truly inspired and ought to be doing better, IMHO.

ravnostic
    Participant

CISS It’s not luck; you thought of something that made a great picture without even having the/a theme in mind. THAT is ‘inspired’ photography–and a sign of a good photographer, IMHO.

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

CISS thanks it seems to be working for me now, but just now my husband tried and it didn’t work for him.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm I would suggest sending a message to Farkback if there are voting problems. Could be related to the site redesign, maybe something that hadn’t been caught before now.

olavf
    Participant

I hadn’t noticed the line until you mentioned it, but I think since it runs across the full width of the image, it’s a bit much to retouch for Farktography.

That’s why I didn’t fix it. Only real reason I asked because it was in the gray area – I doubt anyone would have noticed it if I hadn’t pointed it out… Kat didn’t see it either.

U-Man
    Participant

rav – I agree with the comments that the Airplane! pic should be doing better than it is. I’m actually way surprised about my rocks. That pic was my least favorite of the three. I figured it would get a respectable 20ish votes. Go figger.

Orionid‘s beer bottle legs and middle leg and CISS‘s bus stand out as well. They are unusual, well done and fit the theme. Outside the present top 10, Swampa‘s fountain works for me too. And take another look at Ranger Joe‘s black and white-ish canyons. Make your brain think of the light grey as the ground and the dark part is night sky. Kinda trippy.

Fun theme.

ravnostic
    Participant

It really is a fun one, U-Man. While I enjoy the ‘win’ as much (maybe more so?) than the next guy when I get it, the compliments received here from the people who REALLY make me want to continue to be a better and more creative photographer, mean way^10 more than a contest vote. 🙂

I second on Ranger Joe‘s muted canyon shot. I think that’s called using negative space, no? It’s really cool.

Kestrana
    Participant

I definitely had a sense of vertigo scrolling through the thread, which was awesome. U-Man I love, love, love your unicycle pic but when I saw the stones I even said to orionid “I like it but I think it would be more effective if the hand was holding the rocks in the palm instead of the finger.” Shows what I know, hah!

U-Man
    Participant

K, first, thanks for the compliment about the unicycle pic. That was my favorite of my three.

Second, I tried several hand positions with the rocks. The pointer finger seemed best for fark. 🙂 Although I liked the arm position I got with one using all of my finger tips and almost used that one. I did think it through enough to have my back to the camera so that the viewer would see the pinkie side of my hand – like they would if I was really holding a hundred pounds of rocks. Oh yeah, and I used the tree for a flip-able background.

Full – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/rocks_1735-full.jpg
    Flipped and cropped – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/rocks_1735.jpg
    Full hand – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/Rocks_1737.jpg
    Full hand, forward – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/IMG_1740.jpg

Kestrana
    Participant

Of the ones you shot I think you did pick the best for Fark, well it’s pretty obvious you did at this point 😛 Good idea in any case

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just FYI–we have family festivities that will run really late, so I’ll probably “call” the contest in the thread this afternoon before that stuff gets going. Luckily, the win looks pretty decisive at this point 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘06-29-11 – umop 3p!sdn’ is closed to new replies.