07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

The way I read the description, “Show us shallow depth of field.”, it seems to me that images with a shallow depth of field is what you are going for, not that the out of focus part contributes to the image.

So it seems to me there are 2 things: to qualify for this contest, the image should show a shallow DOF, and that is it. Then if the image uses the bokeh in an interesting way it might get more votes, right?

justkat
    Participant

I’m starting to feel like there’s a reason this contest/topic is confusing the hell out of me. 😉 Every time I think I’ve got it down, someone says something that makes me feel like I have no clue. Oh well, I’ve chosen two pix so far and if nothing else they are pretty… I never expected to win anyway. 😉

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

One of the challenges for me this week is to decide what level of detail to include in the images to balance the “in focus” subject matter and the “bokeh” elements of the photo. Here’s a couple different crops of the same image with the original full image first to explain what I’m talking about. It’s interesting that the post-capture work makes such a difference this time.

Full image

Vertical crop

Detail crop

More detailed

Dissection level detail

U-Man
    Participant

The way I read the description, “Show us shallow depth of field.”, it seems to me that images with a shallow depth of field is what you are going for, not that the out of focus part contributes to the image.

So it seems to me there are 2 things: to qualify for this contest, the image should show a shallow DOF, and that is it. Then if the image uses the bokeh in an interesting way it might get more votes, right?

Exactly. It might get more votes because there is a good chance that it will be a more pleasing photo.

I spent most of my photo time for this theme using a 100 mm macro. I have a bunch of pics with very narrow/shallow/skinny DoF. Like, the bugs eyes are in focus and the rest of it isn’t. But I didn’t pay attention to bokeh. The out-of-focus parts of my pics are pretty boring. I’m sort of regretting that right now as I’m packing and travelling over the next couple of days. What I’d like to try (maybe Wednesday) is less macro and more bokeh. This pertains to your comment too, justkat.

And just for shiats and giggles, does this one also qualify? Thought maybe the “object” was too big for the premise…

From my recent experience, too much macro can get in the way of good bokeh. I’d like to try a bigger subject with a nice blur to the background. Like a portrait. Someting like this, but with a bit shallower DoF.

We’ll see what happens over the next few days….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, pretty much that. Of course, voters are a quirky bunch, so the use of the bokeh might not figure in at all. But yes, to qualify, the photo merely has to show shallow DOF.

U-Man
    Participant

One of the challenges for me this week is to decide what level of detail to include in the images to balance the “in focus” subject matter and the “bokeh” elements of the photo. It’s interesting that the post-capture work makes such a difference this time.

I agree. I looked at your pics and kept saying, “Well, I like it that way, too.”

No help here. 🙁

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Here’s another one from the batch of shots I took today. I like it, but I think it’s too abstract and creepy looking to submit for the contest.

Ice plant

staplermofo
    Participant

Too creepy for Fark!?
    Oh, teh laments.
    Oh, of communities loved and lost.
    Oh, I think it’ll be fine.

justkat
    Participant

From my recent experience, too much macro can get in the way of good bokeh.

We’ll see what happens over the next few days….

there’s such a thing as too much macro? say it isn’t so! 😛 Just kidding, it’s just that I love using macro. Which anyone who’s seen what i’ve posted so far has probably picked up on. 😉

/not that I mind shooting a nice landscape, it’s just that the fun of making the tiny available to a wider audience — or even just to me whenever I want it — really appeals to me.

schnee
    Participant

….snipped shameless attempt to pre-garner votes with yet-another-image-of-massive-cuteness…

I’m not going to let U-Man out-cute me again. Oh no, I’ve got a plan…and an image:

Muhahahahahahaha….

/shame about the back of the Outback, but I’m counting on the innate cuteness of Schnee 2.0 to distract the masses….

//Canon 50mm f1.4, f1.4@1/2000s

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So this theme might end up being subtitled “I’ve got a kid and I’m not afraid to use him/her”? 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Hey! I didn’t write that! Did I? 🙂

Oh nos! A thrown gauntlet! And me with no shallow DoF cuteness.

/madly scambles to search ‘the files’.
    //looks again at the insane cuteness of schnee 2.0
    ///searches again.
    ////grabs camera with 50 mm f1.4. Screams at kid, “Wipe that jelly off of your face and look CUTE! And I’m serious! STOP CRYING and be cute!”
    /////covers face with hands in abject defeat…..:)

schnee, why don’t you just crop out the car? Perhaps a square crop?

schnee
    Participant

schnee, why don’t you just crop out the car? Perhaps a square crop?

yeah, that would work, too. thanks. I’ll probably do that.

/Muhahahahahahaaaaa

//but I like my Outback…

sleeping
    Participant

So this theme might end up being subtitled “I’ve got a kid and I’m not afraid to use him/her”? 😉

Either that or “Flower and insect macros”, I expect…

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m wondering if there’s enough bokeh in this:

or this

to qualify….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh’ is closed to new replies.