07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’d be ok for allowing it, but as it’s currently worded, that kind of thing wouldn’t count.

Are you sure?

I’m with sleeping on this one:

Car:

?noun
    1. an automobile.
    2. a vehicle running on rails, as a streetcar or railroad car.
    3. the part of an elevator, balloon, modern airship, etc., that carries the passengers, freight, etc.
    4. British Dialect . any wheeled vehicle, as a farm cart or wagon.
    5. Literary . a chariot, as of war or triumph.
    6. Archaic . cart; carriage.

However, difference to MT will be honored.

I trust the whole ‘car in motion’ thing doesn’t have a speed limit? One planned shot will necessitate a pretty mild speed.

Kestrana
    Participant

I hope there’s no speed limit. I have one picture that I really want to use that was taken about 5-10 mph.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’d be ok for allowing it, but as it’s currently worded, that kind of thing wouldn’t count.

Are you sure?

No, I’m not really sure of much these days…

Curious
    Participant

i have some semi decent rainbow shots taken the other day on the way to work. wrong side of the car however and just FYI taking pictures on the interstate at 70 mph is stupid. especially when the traffic stops as you are composing a shot.

Curious
    Participant

i know we are on the honor system here but if i shot out the side window (window rolled down) at a high shutter speed it will be difficult to tell that shot from any other. so do we need, or would it be better if, some of the car interior was shown?

mopsy
    Participant

I may have missed this, but does motion have to show in the photo? I took some in San Francisco from the passenger side, but they do not show motion.

Maybe the theme should have said, “from a moving vehicle.” Probably too late to change though. I think this one may be as hard to moderate as the rain one. Good luck Elsinore. Glad I’m just a contributor. BUT after all is said and done, you get my vote as being a good mod.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

Id assume using a tripod with cable release while driving would be fine since it just says it has to be a shot out the passenger side window. Im probably going to try to do that to.

Yeah, that sounds fine.

I’m curious to see what others can come up with as far as roadside subjects with the difficulty of movement. I’ve been taking pictures like this for years and it’s super tough. I’ll often see something cool just as it passes or have it turn out super blurry or not be able to frame & crop properly in the split second I have.

Kestrana
    Participant

Wait, y’all are making me confused…”from the passenger’s side of the car” to me implies the photographer/camera was in the passenger’s seat, not necessarily that you had to shoot out the passenger side window. What is right here?

monsieurstabby
    Participant

I may have missed this, but does motion have to show in the photo? I took some in San Francisco from the passenger side, but they do not show motion.

Maybe the theme should have said, “from a moving vehicle.” Probably too late to change though. I think this one may be as hard to moderate as the rain one. Good luck Elsinore. Glad I’m just a contributor. BUT after all is said and done, you get my vote as being a good mod.

I think it’s okay if you were simply able to get a really fast shutter speed, though I’d also give props to anyone who used motion to their advantage.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

I would also guess since it says passenger side that should include the back seat on the passenger side. Ditto for camera itself riding shotgun as long as the photo was taken from the passenger side of the car.

My idea was the photog or, I guess, camera not being in the driver’s seat. If you think you can get a photo looking through another window, I don’t see a problem with that personally. Really I just don’t want anyone trying to play around with their camera settings, zoom, whatever if they’re in control of the vehicle.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

Hmm the question of buses/trains/subways came up in the original theme discussion, but the question wasn’t answered. I’d be ok for allowing it, but as it’s currently worded, that kind of thing wouldn’t count. In the original theme discussion, monsieurstabby did rule out motorcycles and bikes, though. Hopefully he’ll be by to clarify if he’d allow public transport. Personally, I’d vote yes on that.

My thing with the bikes and motorcycles was pretty much what I just commented above. Buses, etc. would be in keeping with the theme I think but I’d like the main subject of the photo to stick to the outside world.

Sorry I haven’t been around to answer questions, I kind of thought this theme idea had gathered a lot of dust and didn’t realize there was interest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So we can add a clarification that allows for buses and other public transport to count for the purposes of “passenger side”?

U-Man
    Participant

I’m avoiding the whole conflict by just sitting in the passenger seat and taking pictures out of the window. 🙂

However, since the photos may be technically sub-par due to motion and auto glass, I went with the outside pitch and hit to right field. (I don’t want to give away too much.)

/and I’ll totally second Mopsy’s comment that Elsinore is a great mod. Even when we disagree, I find her fair and honest.

ravnostic
    Participant

Spent 3 hours on the light rail taking 275 pictures; hope one of them doesn’t suck!! Also sent monsieur a PM regarding one; hope he/she (was that decided?) will respond before the contest (and that the answer is ‘yes’, of course…)

zincprincess
    Participant

I spent 4 hours in the car with husband driving this weekend and ended up with 125 pictures. I missed out on probably just as many either fooling around with the camera or not being able to get the right angle. I missed a good shot of the truck stop spa billboard and the random rebel flag flying along the interstate. I may have three shots that are decent.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘07-07-10 – Passenger’s Side’ is closed to new replies.