07-13-11 – A Shore Thing

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-13-11 – A Shore Thing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pictures from the beach or at least the water’s edge.

Another quality theme brought to you by Kestrana!

Yugoboy
    Participant

For clarification (and so I can begin the archive dive, if I can’t get to a lake shore in the next few days) – “water’s edge” includes rivers, streams and reservoirs, yes?

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah all of those would be okay. “The beach” is preferable but for those without access to the beach, any water’s edge is fine.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’d gathered from the theme entry thread those would be okay, but I’m wondering about point of view. Obviously in the metro Phoenix region, water isn’t exactly abundant on any grand scale; a lot of my potentials are shots with a shoreline, but taken from across the other side (what, like 15 feet away? There’s not much in between the two ‘shores’, so to speak.) Are you wanting shots showing the shore from which we stand upon, or is the ‘far’ (such as it is) shoreline acceptable, or does it really not make a darned bit of difference? There’s also a very small waterfall I captured this ‘weekend’ (Monday) that I like, which does contain the edges of the waterline both above and below said falls that I’d like to consider for entry.

I guess what I’m asking is just having the water’s edge in the photo the general idea?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Man, why can’t this one be scheduled *after* I move to Hawaii?

Kestrana
    Participant

You don’t have to have the shore in your picture but the intent is that you should be near the water yourself, versus say taking pictures of water from a plane, boat or bridge. I suppose another way to word it would be “Get close to a body of water. Photograph what you see”

As an example, the three entries I’m planning on using are:

1. Stereotypical ocean beach with clouds landscape
      2. Sunset over water with opposite shore only visible
      3. Picture without any water visible
    Yugoboy
    Participant

So the really cool hiding leopard frog pic I’ve got from a recent excursion would be in because it was shot like 30-40 feet from a pond?

This opens up the possibilities tremendously!

QueenBee
    Participant

Wooo! This one should be good for me, but I have to check that I haven’t used shots..or make a trip out to Sleezeside this weekend for new ones.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yugoboy – Sure if you shot it on the shore of a pond that’s cool
    Queenbee – Guessing you’re not going to make it up to CT this weekend then

QueenBee
    Participant

Queenbee – Guessing you’re not going to make it up to CT this weekend then

sadly, probably not 🙁 not only is money tight, but I’ve been sick for most of the week so I don’t want to give anything to anyone else. I was looking for the thread in here but couldn’t find it? I’m all fuzzyheaded from meds so it’s probably in the most obvious place 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

I think it’s in Pub&Grill but no matter – hope you feel better soon!

yrkddn
    Participant

Hey! Over here! Umm, yes, my question is this…have there been in the past, three closely related photos, sort of a photojournalistic entry, and if so, how well was this approach received?
    Thanks for your consideration.

ravnostic
    Participant

Hey! Over here! Umm, yes, my question is this…have there been in the past, three closely related photos, sort of a photojournalistic entry, and if so, how well was this approach received?
    Thanks for your consideration.

There have indeed. Speaking only from my personal experience of doing so, I’ve not fared well. There’s two difficulties I *think* are going on in. The first is getting the three shots posted together; seems no matter when you post, that’s exactly when someone else will post their’s, so it’s difficult to get the three grouped in consecutive posts, which I believe would help in telling the ‘story’.

But on the other hand, the second difficulty is voters *seem* to view such trios and vote for the *one* they like best, rather than all three on their own merits–so two get short-changed votey-wise. Not sure why that is.

However, YMMV in this regard. You may very well compose, execute, and decide upon three separate, but related images better than I have.

orionid
    Participant

What Rav said.

yrkddn
    Participant

Thanks, RAV. I can see the difficulty that you propose. I feel I have a strong set, but having them divided by one or two other shots probably would diminish the effect.

Would you look them over and give me some feedback? (anybody)? Thanks

http://elisaraephotography.blogspot.com/2011/07/launch-of-fierce-leader.html[/code]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • The topic ‘07-13-11 – A Shore Thing’ is closed to new replies.