07-13-11 – A Shore Thing

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-13-11 – A Shore Thing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Thanks, RAV. I can see the difficulty that you propose. I feel I have a strong set, but having them divided by one or two other shots probably would diminish the effect.

Would you look them over and give me some feedback? (anybody)? Thanks

http://elisaraephotography.blogspot.com/2011/07/launch-of-fierce-leader.html[/code]

You might try what some people have done and do the 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3. Maybe instead of putting your captions/descriptions UNDER the pictures, put them OVER the the pics to tell the story. Not that I have much experience at this…
    I think you’ll get what ravnostic said: one picture of the 3 gets more votes representing the voters’ enjoyment of the trio.

orionid
    Participant

I think they would work better as a triptych, but having the same personal experience as ravnostic, I think the hitting the water shot would absorb all your votes and the other would garner only two or three each.

What I’ve found tends to work best is three great but wildly different shots. The problem is anticipating what the voters might consider “great”.

yrkddn
    Participant

Thanks for the input everyone.

U-Man
    Participant

I agree that three photos that differ greatly have the best chance at maximum total votes. Sort of like diversifying your portfolio. 🙂

I also agree that the hitting the water for the first time shot would likely get the most votes.

But I came here to say that this is one of those themes that will give me fits, fits I say, trying to pick three photos. Evidently, I do a lot of my photography from shore.

ravnostic
    Participant

I also agree that the hitting the water for the first time shot would likely get the most votes.

a-yep.

But I came here to say that this is one of those themes that will give me fits, fits I say, trying to pick three photos. Evidently, I do a lot of my photography from shore.

I’m in the opposite quandary. Part of my problem is I live in a desert–which can be overcome–I have lots of pics from the water’s edge. The main problem is I’ve become far more critical of my earlier photos; much of my early DSLR experience–which involved a lot of shots at Fossil Springs (as in ‘fossilspringsaz.com’)–just isn’t up to my snuff level anymore. And I haven’t been back in a good long while to retake anything.

So I’m looking at a few from last week, all shot from the same location, the Salt River bed. Which kind of look like they’re all part of a series. Which leads right back to yrkddn‘s original question, and my opinion based on experience.

But it is what it is. Back to culling the archives, looking for something I previously overlooked…can we change this theme to four-leaf clovers? 😆

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Rav My winner last week was from a P&S from before I started Farktography (in a serious way). There may be some gems in your archives you are overlooking because of how you feel about the quality of the photos. Post it and let the voters decide.

/my 2 cents.

ravnostic
    Participant

Pope–I agree. Since I didn’t find them on my ‘puter, and was sure I had some good ones, I dug out the photos from before I even had digital, found one I’d really liked, and scanned it with the scanner I got for the scanner photo contest. It’ll be my entry #3. 🙂 Never can tell about ‘them voters’, but I hope they like it (I know I do.)

The bonus is I scanned some other old stuff I liked, for future consideration. (The dust deletion required from scanning sucks b@lls, btw.)

//edit–and congrats on last week’s win. That was an awesome pic!

QueenBee
    Participant

To me, the shore encompassed the stuff on the boardwalk (since it’s right next to the beach and water) so are pics for this week legit if they don’t show sand or surf?

Kestrana
    Participant

Not every shore has sand or waves it’s true, but I think for your own benefit with voters, it should be obvious it’s near the water. If, in your opinion, it’s obviously something in that realm then sure, go for it.

QueenBee
    Participant

heh well…does this make you think of the shore? Because it screams Jersey Shore to me…but then again, I live here 😛 This is located on the boardwalk too…but I guess using it would be banking on those who understand it…I have tons of stuff to choose from so we’ll see…

http://i55.tinypic.com/14xm7wk.jpg

Kestrana
    Participant

Playing off Jersey Shore, I can definitely see where you’re going and it could totally work for Fark.

QueenBee
    Participant

That was pretty much my feeling too, but because it’s just so obvious to me, i wasn’t sure if it would be for the majority..and for what it’s worth, I think that sign is a total lie. Stupid guidos ruining our shore town….

orionid
    Participant

You could always redirect the tourists to the real Jersey Shore, which is nowhere near Jersey nor the shore.

Yugoboy
    Participant

One of my shots is pointed away from water, but it’s pretty obvious that I’m very close to an ocean.

QueenBee
    Participant

You could always redirect the tourists to the real Jersey Shore, which is nowhere near Jersey nor the shore.

hehe I always think of the “real” jersey shore as the island of Jersey 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • The topic ‘07-13-11 – A Shore Thing’ is closed to new replies.