07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

From Candyland to Risk, Twister to Pictionary, Go Fish to Pinochle, show us how you entertain family and friends. No spectator-sports or playtime activities that don’t have rules and objectives.

Theme suggestion kudos to ravnostic!

lokisbong
    Participant

Where does billiards or pool fit. Are they ok? According to wickipedia billiards is a game of skill so I think it is ok but wanted to be sure before the contest went live.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Of course, ESPN isn’t helping these days since they include pool and poker in their “sports” coverage 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

Tabletop games (be they a card game or ping-pong, billiards, foosball, etc) are fine, and overall, are among what I was looking for.

In general what’s out are things played in a stadium or auditorium; often on a pro level. But to help draw the line, ask yourself, “Would you let your 8 year old, dainty female relative and yourself play it with your 45 year old, overweight and drunken male relative?”

Bowling? Sure.

Horseshoes? Perhaps.

Flag football? Probably not.

(I would hope, but I’ve allowed Twister and hope the overweight guy doesn’t crush the little girl when going for and failing on right-hand, green).

ennuipoet
    Participant

(I would hope, but I’ve allowed Twister and hope the overweight guy doesn’t crush the little girl when going for and failing on right-hand, green).

We never mention that in my family, too many memories…

What about video games? Not screen shots of the games but people playing video games. Guitar Hero et al springs to mind as a gold mine of photographic funny.

Not me, don’t even own a console. Inquiring minds…

ravnostic
    Participant

I meant to mention those, ennuipoet; video games, pinball or other ‘bar’ games, etc. are okay. Even video games of football, basketball, etc. if one is so inclined.

justkat
    Participant

What about the games kids play outdoors, like ring-around-the-rosie and hopscotch?

ravnostic
    Participant

Or double dutch, Justkat? I’d say go for it. Kick the can, hide-and-seek also fine; Not in the Olympic games, or have an ‘official’ merchandise line?: Probably okay.

Here’s what I’m trying to avoid: A bunch of Sports Illustrated-esque type-shots of scenes where people have vicariously gotten enjoyment out of watching people who should[/] be getting said enjoyment (but whom instead had been way too serious about doing so due to paychecks, machismo, whatever), without said people having actually actively participated in the event themselves.

Here’s what I’m wanting to see: Either families and/or friends having a good family time together without needing a paycheck or interview to back up the experience, or the pieces (or people) and/or game hardware required that support that general idea of a good time.

olavf
    Participant

a double-dutch rudder would probably be NSFW though.

ravnostic
    Participant

a double-dutch rudder would probably be NSFW though.

{roles dice}; -2 to your savings throw. NSFW involves people vicariously watching other people, etc.

Possibly a -2 to your stamina, as well, depending on what you did while observing said NSFW activities. (But it only lasts for 3 rounds; after that you rejuvenate.)

Kestrana
    Participant

3 rounds? That’s 18 seconds. I’d give olavf more credit than that.

orionid
    Participant

Each round gets exponentially longer, dear.

mopsy
    Participant

Do people have to be in the pic? I will not have a chance to have my grandchildren here before the contest and I have nothing of them and games in my files. I could set up the games we do play and try to make them look interesting but they would be void of people.

ravnostic
    Participant

No, mopsy people are not required to appear; any game implementations or setups are fine (I expect to see a game of Mousetrap taken in a long exposure by someone, all the elements shifted and blurred to indicate their progress).

olavf
    Participant

3 rounds? That’s 18 seconds. I’d give olavf more credit than that.

Someone’s never heard of Rodeo sex.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘07-21-10 – These Foolish Games’ is closed to new replies.