07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I read the theme title. I read the comments. I still have a question.

Do the pics have to show games with rules? Or can kid/adult/family play without rules be included? My three girls play “dress-up” at least once/week. It is play but it’s not really a game. Whatcha think?

How about such summer-time stuff such as running through a sprinkler, playing in the backyard pool, riding a tricycle, catching frogs/turtles/lightning bugs?

See where I’m going? Play without the rules to make it a game.

If these are right out, that’s cool. I’m just clarifying.

linguine
    Participant

Would pillow fights count?

ravnostic
    Participant

Do the pics have to show games with rules? Or can kid/adult/family play without rules be included? My three girls play “dress-up” at least once/week. It is play but it’s not really a game. Whatcha think?

How about such summer-time stuff such as running through a sprinkler, playing in the backyard pool, riding a tricycle, catching frogs/turtles/lightning bugs?

See where I’m going? Play without the rules to make it a game.

If these are right out, that’s cool. I’m just clarifying.

I think running through a sprinkler with the goal of not getting wet is a game. I can’t see the other items as being so, but if you can extrapolate the sprinkler idea into the other items you listed and convey it on film, then I say go for it.

And, if anyone can do so, sir, I’m pretty sure it’s you.

Would pillow fights count?

See above. I don’t want to limit the imagination, but I do want to have images represent something that can be won and appreciated. If the pillowfight has a clear winner, and it’s all in good fun, then perhaps it IS a game.

But on the other hand, I think that shot of the kid riding off on a two wheel bike for the first time with his dad bokeh’ed in the distance reflects more of a personal accomplishment, rather than a game, and would better be suited for a different theme.

If I had my druthers, I’d everyone stick to stuff like what’s listed in the theme description, plus what’s been talked about before. But then, if I had my druthers, I’d miss out on seeing a lot of unique perspectives on the theme, and that does good service to no one. I’d love to be surprised–I’m counting on it–I have my ideas, and don’t expect to do any better than I’ve done before as a mere participant (but I did plan on bringing my game, so to speak).

So use your best judgement, and best of luck to everyone!

**one more thing–‘spin the bottle’ is not a game to play with your 7 year old daughter and 45 year old drunken uncle. That’s just wrong. So please, keep it clean in that regard.**

U-Man
    Participant

Got it. We’re talking about games with at least some sort of rules and some sort of winner. Dress up and riding bikes and similar fun activities don’t cut it.

Right?

This will result in some DQ’s.

Consider changing the description to “…Sports and fun activities without rules or winners are not part of the theme.” Or something like that.

Oh hell. Or just leave it like you have it and roll. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

^^^ yes, anything that results in as few DQ’s and judgment calls the better…

ravnostic
    Participant

Got it. We’re talking about games with at least some sort of rules and some sort of winner. Dress up and riding bikes and similar fun activities don’t cut it.

Right?

This will result in some DQ’s.

Consider changing the description to “…Sports and fun activities without rules or winners are not part of the theme.” Or something like that.:)

I’ll think something up. Expect an updated title sometime in the middle of the night (I think poor Elsinore needs a break after last week!! 😆 )

olavf
    Participant

One of my shots this week cost me something like $40. I really hope it doesn’t get DQ’d. =P

ravnostic
    Participant

Alright, this adjust-the-theme is harder than I expected. I don’t want the description to be a book, but I want to include what’s been already discussed. I want to include all sorts[/b] of games, but not toys or playset tea parties, etc., as U-Man articulated. However, it’s easier to manage entries when the field is wider-opener.

How ’bout this as an adjusted theme description:

“Shots of family-friendly game activities, for one or more players. Players and/or fully-staged mock-ups not required. Games with ‘goals’ and/or ‘objectives’ are preferred, but not mandatory. Difficulty: Sports not allowed, unless they might be played at a bowling alley.”

I think that will keep the foot/basket/baseball/hockey/soccer type stuff out (mostly), yet allow for potatosack races and hopskotch, and subjective interpretation of what a ‘game’ is.

One of my shots this week cost me something like $40. I really hope it doesn’t get DQ’d. =P

I get the point, so if this revision is a problem, we can take a different angle. I spent about $60 for this weeks shots, one shot alone cost $30, and it isn’t even likely to break the top 20. I think what I wrote above covers most everything discussed so far, though. [edit–I’m sure with the revised revision, this won’t be a problem.]

olavf
    Participant

I get the point, so if this revision is a problem, we can take a different angle. I spent about $60 for this weeks shots, one shot alone cost $30, and it isn’t even likely to break the top 20. I think what I wrote above covers most everything discussed so far, though.

No, that was just my bar tab, and what it took to get the bartendress to help me with the shot I wanted.

On the plus side, I got exactly the shot I wanted in two takes (discounting the couple of test frames I took to get the lighting and focus right)

On the minus side…well, it’s a game that i don’t think a lot of people are aware of.

So, it’s a cool shot, and worth getting (put it in my gallery even) but we’ll have to see.

So that, probably one archive, and one that I just *have* to take, that required me to find a “classic” version of an old game (still need to take that one, but I’ve got the stuff)

I think you’re good though. It’s been a fairly challenging contest, but wide enough that I’ve been able to run with it. Iz happy, even if I don’t do well 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

It’s been a fairly challenging contest, but wide enough that I’ve been able to run with it. Iz happy, even if I don’t do well 🙂

Sadly, I forget the inspiration I had for a shot when suggesting the theme. I did the bar thing, too; was rather disappointed with the results (drinking and photography may not always mix well I suppose.) I have a couple days, though; we’ll see. I don’t think my shots are anything ‘award’ winning, but I’m happy with what I have so far as well. Glad you had fun!

orionid
    Participant

but not toys or playset tea parties, etc.

So…. No Rubik’s cubes? Now that one of Kestrana‘s shots has been eliminated, why not add one of mine to the heap?

/I keed. Sort of. This is turning out to be more frustrating than I was thinking, may wind up just archive-diving.
    //Yay, Jenga for shots!

ravnostic
    Participant

but not toys or playset tea parties, etc.

So…. No Rubik’s cubes? Now that one of Kestrana‘s shots has been eliminated, why not add one of mine to the heap?

Nonsense. Rubik’s IS a game–of solitaire, which is definitely in (there’s no reason why a game has to include two people; I should have included ‘solitaire to Rubik’s cubes’ in the original TD). The boob cube may not have any set ‘rules’, but it does involve skills and strategy to solve, the use of which (spacial logistics) are effectively the ‘rules’ needed to win, which is often the point of many games. Mental games are still games–crosswords, Sudokus, etc.

Hackysacks would fit into this category also–the goal is to keep the sack from hitting the ground. There’s no set rules, except you can’t use your hands.

Lets make it open, so there’s less chance of DQs. I remended my amended description, but in such a way that the voters can decide for themselves whether a shot qualifies, rather than a mod having to work too hard at it.

* saw the youtube of the 5×5 one; decided solving the 3×3 in Jr. High was sufficient for my life’s expectations.

Kestrana
    Participant

**one more thing–‘spin the bottle’ is not a game to play with your 7 year old daughter and 45 year old drunken uncle. That’s just wrong. So please, keep it clean in that regard.**

Well glad you got that out of the way, although I think my picture was humorous and cute, not dirty.

I would argue though that Dungeons & Dragons is not something I would let my 7 year old play with my drunken uncle, nor is Poker or any other game with betting involved. Just sayin’

ravnostic
    Participant

Well glad you got that out of the way, although I think my picture was humorous and cute, not dirty.

I would argue though that Dungeons & Dragons is not something I would let my 7 year old play with my drunken uncle, nor is Poker or any other game with betting involved. Just sayin’

It’s not that I really object to ‘spin the bottle’ pics per se, it’s just that it’s sexual suggestive in my own perverted mind, so not very ‘family’ friendly. I was hoping to keep this in the ‘good, clean entertainment’ realm. Maybe yours does, but say another posts something more lewd–does Elsinore mind drawing that line?

If Elsinore will moderate for good taste (and less filling), then so be it and I’ll delete that portion of this comment thread. That’s up to her.

As far as D&D and poker; I played D&D when I was 8 (poorly, but still), and look how great I turned out!

😯

Oh. Well. Nevermind then. Moving on…

Poker needn’t be played with money nor chips. Yeah. So…there! Neener-neener.

U-Man
    Participant

Ahhhh. I remember the days when we had themes like, “Red. Take a photo with some red in it.” 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘07-21-10 – These Foolish Games’ is closed to new replies.