07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-21-10 – These Foolish Games

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Ahhhh. I remember the days when we had themes like, “Red. Take a photo with some red in it.” 🙂

+ |[-1, 1]|

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s your theme and you can decide the rules however you want. I’m not going to make Elsinore‘s job any more difficult after last week. There are always other ideas.

ravnostic
    Participant

Well, I do want inclusivity, but not to the point of strip poker, etc. Will stick with the ‘amended’ theme description, then. Rubik: In. Spin-the-bottle: Out. I’ll await Elsinore’s input on the amendum wording, however. Must. Sleep. Now. I’ll check at dusk for updates.

Curious
    Participant

Ahhhh. I remember the days when we had themes like, “Red. Take a photo with some red in it.” 🙂

i literally laughed out loud.

i am planing on using a brain teaser thingy and it didn’t occur to me that some might not think it was a game. how to shoot it is the question.

cameraflage
    Participant

So a shot of a football team jumping through a sprinkler while solving a Rubik’s Cube is ok?

Curious
    Participant

i just shot one of the “games” i want to use and it says it’s a puzzle. that ok?

it’s similar to rubic’s cube in that you have to solve the puzzle by assembling a bunch of oddly shaped parts into a fixed shape.

ravnostic
    Participant

i just shot one of the “games” i want to use and it says it’s a puzzle. that ok?

it’s similar to rubic’s cube in that you have to solve the puzzle by assembling a bunch of oddly shaped parts into a fixed shape.

Under the definition I gave orionid (and further, under the broadened TD), I think that’s fine.

So a shot of a football team jumping through a sprinkler while solving a Rubik’s Cube is ok?

Only if, while doing so, they’re trying not to get wet. 😉

olavf
    Participant

It’s been a fairly challenging contest, but wide enough that I’ve been able to run with it. Iz happy, even if I don’t do well 🙂

Sadly, I forget the inspiration I had for a shot when suggesting the theme. I did the bar thing, too; was rather disappointed with the results (drinking and photography may not always mix well I suppose.) I have a couple days, though; we’ll see. I don’t think my shots are anything ‘award’ winning, but I’m happy with what I have so far as well. Glad you had fun!

Well, one of my shots involves drinking and photography 😉

There’s just no booze in the shot…

LeicaLens
    Participant

Well, I do want inclusivity, but not to the point of strip poker, etc. Will stick with the ‘amended’ theme description, then. Rubik: In. Spin-the-bottle: Out. I’ll await Elsinore’s input on the amendum wording, however. Must. Sleep. Now. I’ll check at dusk for updates.

Wait, so strip poker is out?

Well there go MY entries this week 😥

U-Man
    Participant

Wait, so strip poker is out?

Well there go MY entries this week 😥

I suppose if you’re from Kentucky strip poker might work…seeing as how it is a family activity.

/ba-dum, teeesh. I’ll be here all week.
    //only have one so far. I have another idea or two but I also have late night work meetings planned for tonight and Wed. Boo hoo.

orionid
    Participant

I’m waiting for my boss to leave for one of mine…. =D

ravnostic
    Participant

Well, one of my shots involves drinking and photography 😉

There’s just no booze in the shot…

Will be interested in seeing what you came up with for $40, a bartender, and no booze in the shot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ravnostic: Honestly, I think your amended description is a little tl; dr. It kind of made my head spin, and given how the more casual folks don’t tend to read theme descriptions very carefully, I think they’ll just not bother. I kind of liked U-Man’s suggestion as it was fairly short and concise.

One random thought I’ve had recently is that I think (unfortunately, as the case may be) we need to pay more attention to our theme titles and consider ways to make them as indicative of the theme description as possible. I love our creative titles, but it just seems like casual folks see the title/headline, make an assumption of what kind of photos are required based on it, and post whatever. On the one hand, it makes my job easy when someone clearly didn’t read the description and posted something obviously off-theme, but on the other hand, it’s kind of annoying (not that it’s any more or less annoying than it was a year or three ago–we’ve always had those types). So maybe it’s not worth it to change what we do based on the behavior of casual folks. Dunno, I’m rambling.

LOL soooo funny and true. 😆 Of course, I remember someone who submitted a black and white school bus for the “Yellow. Take a photo with some yellow in it.” theme 😉

U-Man
    Participant

LOL soooo funny and true. 😆 Of course, I remember someone who submitted a black and white school bus for the “Yellow. Take a photo with some yellow in it.” theme 😉

Yeah. I remember seeing the photo that idio…

Hey. 😛 (I just squinched up a pretend mean face at you)

ravnostic
    Participant

ravnostic: Honestly, I think your amended description is a little tl; dr. It kind of made my head spin, and given how the more casual folks don’t tend to read theme descriptions very carefully, I think they’ll just not bother. I kind of liked U-Man’s suggestion as it was fairly short and concise.

One random thought I’ve had recently is that I think (unfortunately, as the case may be) we need to pay more attention to our theme titles and consider ways to make them as indicative of the theme description as possible. I love our creative titles, but it just seems like casual folks see the title/headline, make an assumption of what kind of photos are required based on it, and post whatever. On the one hand, it makes my job easy when someone clearly didn’t read the description and posted something obviously off-theme, but on the other hand, it’s kind of annoying (not that it’s any more or less annoying than it was a year or three ago–we’ve always had those types). So maybe it’s not worth it to change what we do based on the behavior of casual folks. Dunno, I’m rambling.

I know it’s too long, and I agree. I tried to keep it short but indicative of the theme. It started out a lot longer, though. Feel free to edit it how you see fit.

Personally, given I ‘loosened’ up, perhaps just ‘Show us family and friendly gaming scenes, people not required, major sports not allowed’, and just see what happens.

Too many stipulations=headache. The only thing I’d really dq is either the sports (the big ones–it’s not rocket science what I was going for there), and scenes not family orientated. Hell, let Kestrana have her bottle and Leica strip, for that matter.

At this point, with all the quibbles, I’m for K.I.S,S. So this why people don’t submit many themes…they might get picked and have to defend themselves!!
    🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘07-21-10 – These Foolish Games’ is closed to new replies.