07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Lots of good stuff in your post, Pope Larry II, but I do want to say that when a thread is greenlit, there’s no voting until the thread hits the main page. The stats I think you’re talking about are showing votes (after it hits main) for entries that were posted before the thread hit main vs entries that were posted after it hit main. Schnee originally set up the FSM to see if there was a correlation between winning and the time the entry was posted (especially pre-green light vs post-green light). He did find a weak correlation, but not really enough to be terribly concerned with. Plenty of folks have won or placed very well even when they posted a photo after the contest hit the main page. I’m guessing if you post too far after it hits main (like posting after Thurs evening), you probably aren’t going to get many votes, but there are people who purposely don’t vote till Friday or Saturday to catch late entries, so there’s that.

Incidentally, the PS’ers also allow TF’ers to post early (which is why Farktography does as well), but in their case, it’s several days early since they have their contests opened a week or more in advance. Th at wouldn’t work well for Farktography, though.

Kestrana
    Participant

one thing that pops up is that most of the voting takes place in the first hours of the competition, while it’s still in TFland.

Edited because Elsinore said everything I was saying.

I know the feeling though if you see there’s already a photo way in the lead, you might feel like there’s no point in posting, but methodology in voting has been discussed a lot and I know a lot of the regulars wait until Saturday to vote so they can see those late breaking images.

None of this going to stop me from participating. I’d like to win, but I know I have a long way to go to be as good some of you guys and girls. I’m here because the theme gives me boundaries and a goal to shoot for. I really just want to get better at photography in general.

That’s why I think all of us do this too. What would be good is if we could draw more people into feeling part of the community, because it’s a great community.

ravnostic
    Participant

Kestrana Thanks for the props! And, Cause I Said So, like Kes said, P&S can do well; my 2nd best shot (maybe third depending on this week) was a P&S photo.

Pope, by far, I get most views (per my host acct stats, where pics are stored) between 6-9am Eastern time, followed by 1/2 as many 4-6pm Eastern, on Thursdays. Posting at least before the afternoon may help, but in my experience, I usually get more votes later on, Friday-Saturday, till the contest ends. Not that I ever win–but I do see the numbers grow, and I myself keep looking at the new stuff and vote till the contest closes.

andyofne
    Participant

I was looking at the photos today and I saw this note on one of mine “(deleted: Image swapped out for another)”.

I didn’t change anything on any of my photos. I find that comment a little weird. What would cause this? I checked flickr and the image is still there, unchanged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyofne/4839487030/

lokisbong
    Participant

I have a broke image…2010-07-29 12:39:29 AM….could you be so kind as to fix it please. I wonder whats up with flickr lately?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I like to clarify one of my points, I’m not saying I’m not winning because I post at 7am on Thursday. I know I’m not winning because there are better photos than mine.

I mentioned the voting while in TFland because the graph looked that way, if it’s not that makes me happier, because it means I have a chance at winning with the right photo.

Again, I really like the Farktography contests, it is one of the reasons I now have a good camera and it has given me an excuse/reason to go wandering on weekend mornings.

andyofne
    Participant

Again, I really like the Farktography contests, it is one of the reasons I now have a good camera and it has given me an excuse/reason to go wandering on weekend mornings.

I personally believe that some of my better photos were shot with my 3mp point and shoot. I think I spend more time dicking around with my camera settings and swapping crap lenses around now and not taking pictures for fun.

U-Man
    Participant

I personally believe that some of my better photos were shot with my 3mp point and shoot. I think I spend more time dicking around with my camera settings and swapping crap lenses around now and not taking pictures for fun.

HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! 😯

😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I really don’t know what’s up with Flickr, but it’s passed the annoying point. Got yours, lokisbong and andyofne. I had another one that dropped, and a couple other Flickr folks lost theirs either because hosting hiccuped or Fark thought they swapped images out. No clue, but they’re restored now FWIW.

lokisbong
    Participant

Thank you Elsinore.

ravnostic
    Participant

The Flickr issue happened to me last week (no message, but 2 pics were gone & Elsinore restored them), so perhaps it’s not Flickr?

That’s the only time it’s happened, though.

FWIW, if anyone would like to post their pics from my hosting site to avoid Flickr issues, I’d be happy to throw them in and send you the link. It’ll allow me 1.5 tera’s per month; this month (ending 08/02), I’ve used less than 1/2 of a percent and I’ve posted in all 4 contests, including bigguns links. There’s plenty of room to spare. PM me links by Tuesday and I’ll PM back links by Wednesday morning.

Just a thought. Offer valid at least through 02/02/13, my next renewal date.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hosting has hiccuped from most hosts at one time or another. It’s just odd that Flickr has suddenly had an uptick of it, because they’ve historically been extremely reliable. They’ve been changing some stuff with their photo pages, though, so I don’t know if some of this might be related to those changes (which seem to be in flux–some days they’ve switched my acct to the new pages, and some days it’s back to the old look).

ravnostic
    Participant

Query: We know from Schnee how many unique farktographers post each week. Do we have a way of knowing how many unique voters vote?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

* Casual participants with P&S’s can still be competitive. Much to my chagrin, 3 of my top 4 placing pix (including this week’s) were taken with a P&S.

Absolutely. I have two wins – 1 from a P&S and 1 from my DSLR.

Hell, I’ve got a photo hanging in a museum right now that was taken with a P&S. Remember, it isn’t the camera. Or very little is the camera.

Query: We know from Schnee how many unique farktographers post each week. Do we have a way of knowing how many unique voters vote?

Nope. Voters aren’t displayed, only votes.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to ravnostic this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • The topic ‘07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures’ is closed to new replies.