07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

I’d like to posit that the themes are also getting a little too “inside baseball”, in the sense that we really seem to be trying to hard to make things tricky and sometimes a little exclusive: Running From Camera, Color Popping, any of the HDR themes, Black, White, and Grey all over as examples.

I don’t mind the idea of stretching our abilities, but I don’t think we should do it to the extent that we:

a) discourage casual participants

b) raise the difficulty level to where not everyone can participate.

I’ve become discouraged lately, thinking that there are so many rules to some of the contests, that I don’t want to have to justify an entry, and I know better. It’s a perception thing.

Put yourself in the position of someone who’s a little shy, maybe not a joiner, and looking into Farktography. Some of our contest themes lately might seem a little off-putting to someone like that.

I’m just saying.

I think there may be a lot to this. Monumental thru B&W&G were all either difficult to photograph (rain, all night long) or difficult to make interesting (monumental, passenger side) … I think B&W&G falls into a little bit of both. I know I’ve been finding it hard to care lately. My whole lot this week were archive dives. The most recent one is from July 2008. That’s just sad. I even had an idea for a new picture, but was so uninspired by it that I didn’t take it. I think it was probably the right choice, based on the voting so far. 🙁

I’m looking forward to Trees a little, because I love trees, but they, too, can be hard to photograph cuz there are usually all these other damn trees around so your special tree doesn’t stand out. 😛 And no matter how much I love trees, it’s hard to make a picture of them be a WOW picture. I’m sure there will be some in the contest. But will one of them be mine? Not likely. I’m going out this weekend and taking pictures of trees anyway, but … Still, I think it will get more participation than some of the recent contests.

One of the things I love about farktography is that it makes me think about and look at things I might not otherwise. But I guess that can be applied in too narrow a sense, especially if we want to attract more participation.

Eh, I dunno. We have these conversations every so often. 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t think we have to worry about the death of Farktography because I know as long as Fark is still around and I can wield a camera, I’ll probably be playing.
    I know it can be hard to get friends/family to participate but keep telling people about it. I’ve told lots of people at work about it, none of them have started playing yet but I keep bugging them and really, picking up 1 and 2 more people is actually huge. And ennuipoet is right that things go in waves. clouddancer and I started about the same time, then we didn’t have any notable new voices until recently when ravnostic, zincprincess and BecauseISaidSo all started about the same time.

I am committed to finishing the book up too, even if the contract thing with Drew falls through and we make it through blurb.com.

andyofne
    Participant

I’ve never cared about ‘wining’ but I think it’s cool when you have a lot of people posting photos and a lot of folks voting.

I fell out for a while. Mostly because I take crappy pictures but farktography was probably the main reason I decided to pay for TotalFark back in 2004 or 2005 so I figured I should get back to it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Kestrana: …notable new voices… Thanks! *sniff* That may be one of the nicest things a stranger on the internet has ever said about me. 😉

I just checked my Fark account date and in a strange coincidence it turns out today is exactly the 7th anniversary of my signup. During that time, other than my recent posts in the Farktography contests, I’ve posted exactly once. All of which I say to emphasize my credentials as a long-time lurker. So, here’s a slightly different take on recent discussions from the POV of an “outsider”:

* Increased participation beyond a certain point may not be a desirable thing from a viewer’s standpoint. When I browsed the Farktography threads, I found that I could only seriously consider so many entries before either giving up or fast-scrolling to the end.

* From a strictly financial viewpoint, the eyes-on-a-page count is probably more important to Fark, LLC than the number of participants (which may only correlate up to a certain point based on #1). I’m guessing probably only Drew would know how those numbers have fluctuated.

* As a viewer, I found some of the more “esoteric” themes (probably what some are describing as likely to limit casual participation) quite enjoyable. It was always interesting to see the different interpretations.

* As a participant, I certainly understand the desire to shoot new material specific to a theme (and I hope I get time to start doing that soon, but honestly all of my shots thus far are from the archives). But as a viewer, I really prefer both. Archival shots are likely to be of scenic or interesting places or infrequent events that would otherwise not be convenient to shoot within any given week.

* Casual participants with P&S’s can still be competitive. Much to my chagrin, 3 of my top 4 placing pix (including this week’s) were taken with a P&S.

Kestrana
    Participant

* Casual participants with P&S’s can still be competitive. Much to my chagrin, 3 of my top 4 placing pix (including this week’s) were taken with a P&S.

Absolutely. I have two wins – 1 from a P&S and 1 from my DSLR.

olavf
    Participant

July, 2009 vs July, 2010, it looks like we’re about 30% lower overall page views based on number of hits to my website on contest night/the day after. It’s kind of difficult to tell by that month though, because July of last year was bookended by “Dragons” and “Man’s Best Friend”, which were exceedingly popular and are about double anything I’ve seen for this month. June seems to correlate somewhat with the standout being ’tilt-shift’.

Poking around a bit, our popular contests seem to be as popular this year vs. last, but it feels like the less popular themes aren’t getting as much general attention. Again, this is based on website hits, which *should* equate roughly to page views somehow on Fark (obvious spikes on contest nights are obvious).

What does this mean? My hunch is that we’ve got a lot of people looking at the contests, but not a whole lot of people bothering to vote these days.

U-Man
    Participant

Interesting conversation. I appreciate your ‘lurker’ input, CauselSaidSo. It’s a different take on the situation. I also appreciate that others have felt less interest, less fire. I have had that feeling a bit over the last year or so. Some weeks it feels more like work that play. But not many weeks. And I’m still enjoying myself here with you all. I’ll be around for a while.

/maybe it’s like the marriage after the dating. Still good, better in lots of ways, but less fireworks. 🙂

LeicaLens
    Participant

What does this mean? My hunch is that we’ve got a lot of people looking at the contests, but not a whole lot of people bothering to vote these days.

That could well be true.
    I hope we don’t go the way of Photoshop themes, which now generally seem to be lowly populated in terms of entrants, low-vote garners, and–I suspect–low in terms of views.

U-Man
    Participant

That could well be true.
    I hope we don’t go the way of Photoshop themes, which now generally seem to be lowly populated in terms of entrants, low-vote garners, and–I suspect–low in terms of views.

The PS contests were my introduction to Fark. They’re what made me come here. I played there for a while but it was chewing up my sleep time too much.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I also appreciate that others have felt less interest, less fire. I have had that feeling a bit over the last year or so.

Oh I’ve been ready to hang up the hat at various points. Today is not that day, though, and probably not next week. I think it’s natural to have an ebb and flow in interest, both personal and general.

olavf
    Participant

That could well be true.

Part of the thing with the Photoshop themes is that is seems like there’s so darn many of them. I don’t know what the “sanctioning” rules are, but sometimes it seems like there’s multiple per day.
    /that said, I’d be down for another mashup-collaboration.

olavf
    Participant

/maybe it’s like the marriage after the dating. Still good, better in lots of ways, but less fireworks. 🙂

I will say the regulars, and the semi-regulars, still have a lot of the ‘passion’ that has made these threads what they are though.

But on that tack, maybe we should lean a little more towards ‘giggling like young lovers’ in our themes. Voting and winning aside, I think we all feel better about what we do here when we know that people that don’t even participate love what we’re doing.

olavf
    Participant

Oh I’ve been ready to hang up the hat at various points. Today is not that day, though, and probably not next week. I think it’s natural to have an ebb and flow in interest, both personal and general.

Yeah, this was one of those weeks for me. You can tell, by my votes :/ I haven’t missed one in a long time though 😛

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I’m a relative noob to Farktography, and I have browsed the stats pages here, one thing that pops up is that most of the voting takes place in the first hours of the competition, while it’s still in TFland. Some of us do not have TF and by the time we post no one is voting. So a casual poster (or liter) may get discouraged from posting because there is no way of winning or placing in the top ten, because there just aren’t enough clicks to get the votes.

Another issue could be that some of the themes are too well defined, and may limit choice. In Games, how many Scrabble pis were posted (I know I put one in), this week there were 3-4 with cigarrettes. Maybe a looser definition would help. Themes like Green, or teh funnay may produce more variety in the posting and therefore more interest. I know I stopped looking after the 3rd Scrabble pic.

None of this going to stop me from participating. I’d like to win, but I know I have a long way to go to be as good some of you guys and girls. I’m here because the theme gives me boundaries and a goal to shoot for. I really just want to get better at photography in general.

that’s just my 2 cents.

zincprincess
    Participant

Kestrana: …notable new voices… Thanks! *sniff* That may be one of the nicest things a stranger on the internet has ever said about me. 😉

Ditto.

I agree that some of the recent themes mentioned already can be a little intimidating. If you are hung up on your vote count, it’s easy to get butt-hurt when your picture doesn’t do well. I don’t, but I can see how some might. I view the more esoteric themes as a learning experience. One, I’m learning to be more creative while improving my technical skills. Two, I like seeing what the rest of you come up with.

I’m largely a fark lurker and have been for a while. I’ll keep contributing and, one day I may even win one of these contests. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 137 total)
  • The topic ‘07-28-10 – Dirty Pictures’ is closed to new replies.