08-03-11 – Sports Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-03-11 – Sports Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    QueenBee
    Participant

I was looking at the birding one too. Something just doesn’t seem right about the photo.

it looks almost fake to me, but hey maybe his skills are just THAT good? What do I know?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I was looking at the birding one too. Something just doesn’t seem right about the photo.

it looks almost fake to me, but hey maybe his skills are just THAT good? What do I know?

I don’t think it really matters, as his comments will probably drive voters away. Voters don’t come for debates about what is or isn’t a sport, they come to look at pictures (and vote for the ones they like).

Uranus
    Participant

looking at his site, http://www.gregscott.com/ , he has a serious thing for birds…he may even be astonishingly good.

/or a good photoshopper 😛

orionid
    Participant

I can’t speak for hummingbirds, and I agree that something does seem fishy about that photo, but some people just have a knack for birds. Like this shot of Pangolyn‘s with a wild bird in Hawai’i.

birdy three by dragondelc, on Flickr

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

looking at his site, http://www.gregscott.com/ , he has a serious thing for birds…he may even be astonishingly good.

/or a good photoshopper 😛

He does seem to take really good bird photos.

orionid
    Participant

How in hell did the Bills get so damn over-represented in this week’s contest?

orionid and kestrana‘s Steelers photos are against the Bills
    my training camp pic
    Eeek and Warthog have Bills playing their teams…

Seriously… the only NFL pics without Bills are two Steelers photos (for all I know the unseen opponents are still the Bills) and kestrana‘s Seahawks’ scoreboard!

Bills tickets are cheap beacause no one wants to see them play? Seriously, the Steelers shots were against the Bills because a) it was the closest Steelers game to CT that wasn’t sold out (ie: Patriots, Jets), and b) Even resell tickets were fairly cheap, which is how we got row 5. When we were walking through the gates at Ralph Wilson Stadium, I overheard a Bills fan proclaim that there was more black and gold in the stadium than blue and red. By the time the stands were full, it seriously could have been at Heinz Field by looking at the crowd (although much smaller than Heinz Field).

sleeping
    Participant

It certainly could be fake, but that look could quite easily be caused by the bird being lit with a flash and the face not. It’s probably also a long lens back quite a way, compressing the apparent distance between the bird and guy.

Yugoboy
    Participant

That one got me too, As an avid Photoshopper, I figured it’s get deleted for violating that provision. Since he re-posted it, I copy/pasted into Photoshop and took a look. There are some artifacts outside the hummingbird that would probably NOT be there if it was phhotoshopped in… unless… if he PS’d that in one size saved as a .jpg, and then saved the .jpg as another size or two artifacts would begin to appear as image quality began to deteriorate. FWIW – the bird, if copy/pasted, has no inappropriate pixels on its edges.

There’s some sort of orange “something” right at the bottom of the image that cannot be his shirt unless he’s got the strangest beard in North America.

The lighting is what’s really the most suspicious. He’s got to be under some sort of shade or something, while the bird is really well-lit. It’s entirely possible he’s got some sort of remote or motion activated trigger, but that has got to be one of the single luckiest shots in all birding history.

Honestly, I don’t care whether or not he calls it a sport or not. “Sports” is such an amorphous term it could qualify under his own definition. What gets me is the image just feels either exquisitely posed and executed or done indoors, or really skillfully photoshopped. IMHO… it feels like it falls outside the rules – but I have no hard and fast evidence for this.

If, somehow, at this point, he shot up the rankings and began to do well, maybe we challenge him further. If he languishes with 1-3 votes… meh.

The preceding is just one photoshopper’s opinion and only worth its weight in pixels…

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with it on the “sports” angle but I would like to know how he took the shot. I’m willing to believe he got really lucky, I mean I have happy accidents all the time with photography. Granted it’s never been with hummingbirds but I got a great leaping deer. That didn’t include my face in the shot. *shrug* The follow up comments were in poor taste, but hopefully he can brush off his indignation with fark’s “fascism” and come tell us how he got the capture and clear up the mystery.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes, the snark was removed. Yes, the birding photo was removed. It didn’t strike me initially is a fake, though the orange bit across the bottom seemed out of place. Regardless, I figured he had a motion detector something or other. Focus would be tricky though.

sleeping
    Participant

I’m willing to believe he got really lucky

I don’t think that’s the sort of shot you can luck into. I’m willing to believe there was a great deal of careful planning and a ton of patience involved though….

Uranus
    Participant

Yes, the snark was removed. Yes, the birding photo was removed. It didn’t strike me initially is a fake, though the orange bit across the bottom seemed out of place. Regardless, I figured he had a motion detector something or other. Focus would be tricky though.

he’s apparently quite the afficionado of hummingbird photography, and in love with his subject.

According to his site he has even given a workshop on hummingbird photography: http://www.gregscott.com/workshop/index.html

given a more even temper, we might learn something from him 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to Ranger Joe for the win and to kashari and SilverStag for the tie at 1st in total votes.

We had some weather come through last night, which was good for the rain, but it knocked out internet & phone for several hours. The result is that there’s a huge spike in the voting charts at about 5:15am, which is the accumulation of votes from when the power first went out.

Here are the sliding quarter top ten lists this week.

By votes:

Rank  UserName        Votes
    ----

1 U-Man 919
    2 ravnostic 754
    3 orionid 688
    4 Ranger Joe 684
    5 BecauseISaidSo 640
    6 kestrana 632
    7 Ennuipoet 541
    8 olavf 529
    9 lokisbong 500
    10 SilverStag 493

By NVC:

Rank  UserName           NVC
    ----

1 U-Man 502.35
    2 ravnostic 435.05
    3 orionid 402.92
    4 BecauseISaidSo 394.74
    5 Ranger Joe 385.38
    6 kestrana 352.21
    7 Ennuipoet 294.67
    8 lokisbong 285.84
    9 olavf 277.16
    10 oddmind 261.52

nobigdeal
    Participant

he’s apparently quite the afficionado of hummingbird photography, and in love with his subject.

According to his site he has even given a workshop on hummingbird photography: http://www.gregscott.com/workshop/index.html

given a more even temper, we might learn something from him 😛

My foggy memory tells me we have had this discussion about him and his hummingbird photos before. I don’t recall seeing the photo in question so I can’t comment on it but I have looked at his site before and do think his bird photography is amazing.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • The topic ‘08-03-11 – Sports Photography’ is closed to new replies.