08-03-11 – Sports Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-03-11 – Sports Photography

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

Your local AAA team would be a good one, too. I’m going to try and get down to ours sometime soon, personally.

Also, check and see if there’s hockey at the local ice rink. I go down now and then to watch a couple of the local TF-type people play, but the shots I’m going to use from those were from a ‘pond game’ at the rink they set up downtown in the winter.

Now I’ve got a *great* idea. I just need to look into it 😛

lokisbong
    Participant

I will be a bit hard pressed to find a skating rink Ice or otherwise in this dinky little town. Not sure yet if there is a little league here. Would car racing count? I know there is dirt track racing here.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Car racing is considered a sport, as is horse racing, though I’ve always thought that was kinda silly since the horse and the car are doing all the work 😆 But seriously, they are considered sports, so they should be fair game.

orionid
    Participant

since the horse and the car are doing all the work 😆

Because shift timing, movement timing, drafting, fuel management, understanding the mechanical limits of whatever you’re riding, radial dynamics, and traction management have no outcome on the race at all.

Neither do pre-race tuning, fuel mapping, airflow polishing, tire/horseshoe selection, diet, workout schedule, valence/spoiler angles, or understanding the impact of humidity, temperature, air densities, or drag coefficients. 😀

Seriously, though. I spent four years in high school defending Academic Team as a sport, and I have smaller interests in racing of all forms (car, horse, track and field, pogosticks, etc). There’s a LOT more that goes on than just hammer down, go fast, and turn left. Even in horse racing, the horse gets most of the credit. If I asked who won the last three Kentucky Derbies, you’d probably say Animal Kingdom, Super Saver, and Mine That Bird. Johnny Velazquez and Cavin Borel would never cross your mind (unless you’re a Johnny V fan)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah but pencil (and computer) pushing in the planning process and tinkering with the gears doesn’t result in a lot of physical exertion, which is the general expectation of a sport. And yes, I know it’s hot in those cars, and timing is everything in shifting, and yes, changing out an engine or drive train is no easy task–but simply sitting in a hot car shifting gears or sitting on a horse as it careens around a track doesn’t expend a lot of effort on the part of the driver or jockey, not like, say, playing rugby or running a marathon. But hey, I lettered in band in high school (and no, it wasn’t marching band), and I’ve had this argument with all my high school guy friends who were heavy into racing, so there’s that. 😆 FWIW, there are other “sports” I take issue with, like gymnastics and figure skating. I love to watch both of them, but the idea of a sports “competition” that includes subjective “artistic” elements/scores means they aren’t remotely objective in their competitive process.

ravnostic
    Participant

Pardon me for blogging up the dialog, but as the one who was consistantly, always, everytime, and forever picked last in every P.E. class from first grade through 12th, I offer up this:

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    [anyone who’s ever been an underdog on the field, or off]

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    [anyone who’s not given up, despite their own misgivings]

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or, being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    [anyone who’s played a game of chance and done so honorably]

Or, being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise;
    [anyone who’s been down on his luck, but carries on regardless and with poise]

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
    [anyone who’s had the passion to continue despite the odds against them]

If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    [anyone who’s tasted victory and defeat, and does so with class, either way]

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    [anyone who’s been ridiculed for a play, even when it was the right decision at the time]

Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with wornout tools;
    [anyone who’s made a comeback]

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    [anyone who’s risked it all for that one last shot]

And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breath a word about your loss;
    [anyone who’s been humbled, but carried on]

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    [anyone who’s never given up, nor ever will]

And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on”;
    [anyone who’s gone the distance, and beyond it]

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings – nor lose the common touch;
    [anyone who’s never forgotten their beginnings, and helped others to do the same]

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    [anyone who’s denied the nay-sayers, and proved them wrong]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run –
    [anyone who’s tried their best, right to the bitter end]

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And – which is more – you’ll be a Man my son!
    [anyone who’s triumphed over seemingly insurmountable odds]

‘Sport’ is persistence, determination, perseverance, effort, and a willingness to compete. “Sports” is any venue where these things are applicable.

With that in mind, if it’s the ‘orange’ wedge in “Trivial Pursuit”, then it should be included.

My humble opinion. YMMV.

//rant over. Carry on, wayward sons (and daughters)

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

What’s that from, rav? The photojournalist played by Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now (my favorite movie) quotes the first few lines of that and I’ve always wondered. A lot of T.S. Eliot is used elsewhere in the movie, so I’d always assumed it was from him.

ravnostic
    Participant
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Sports Illustrated covers chess… ESPN has Tractor Pulls in its past, and certain sports channels cover Texas Hold ‘Em.

Just sayin’
    (I’ve got some shots already from a baseball game I’m thinking of using, so I’m not actively defending my own upcoming entry… just saying somebody might want to seriously think about either being specific, or pretty much allowing any competition using any part of the human body (which could include video games…))

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah I know Poker is covered on ESPN…I do think it might be a good idea to clarify the definition of “sports” some. Not to cut out things like horse racing, but things that despite appearing on sports channels, have absolutely nothing to do with sports (like card or board games).

ravnostic
    Participant

We did do “These Foolish Games” last year, which excluded sports; this would just be it’s opposite.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ll leave that up to Kestrana.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m not too concerned with the more game like sports coming out and if they do I doubt the voters are going to go for it.

ravnostic
    Participant

Hrrmm..had a thought…what about stuff like animal sports–dogs catching frisbees, etc?

//not that I own a dog. But my cat plays fetch.

Farktographer
    Participant

Midget tossing?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • The topic ‘08-03-11 – Sports Photography’ is closed to new replies.