08-10-11 – A Portal Through

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-10-11 – A Portal Through

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m trying to see if I’ve got anything worth asking ennuipoet to OBO for me.

I wonder… due to their lack of being “portals” but they are windows… are stained glass windows in or out?

I’m not sure if I’d use one anyway, but I’ve been going into every open church I come across… got a few pics so far.

The descriptions specifically mentions windows, I would think you are good to go.

orionid
    Participant

Yup.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Negatives made w/software are fine? I can’t find a rule against it, and AFAIK if someone wanted to scan a film negative and post it as-is that would be allowed…?

U-Man
    Participant

I am considering doing a long exposure shot of something that is supposed to represent a worm-hole is space. Since I’m not actually out there, it will be a fake. Is that OK?

Kestrana
    Participant

orionid says he’ll allow it “mostly cause I want to see it”

orionid
    Participant

Negatives made w/software are fine? I can’t find a rule against it, and AFAIK if someone wanted to scan a film negative and post it as-is that would be allowed…?

I’m not 100% sure on this one. Color inversion in software is different than scanning negatives, but scanning a cross-processed slide and inverting is totally kosher. Likewise, scanning a direct-paper pinhole can be acceptable either way – “as shot” is a negative, and inverted makes positive.

My gut feel is that if film or paper are involved somewhere, then it’s cool, but if it’s digital across the board, then probably too wild of a software change.

Els? Others?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pretty much like orionid said–scanning a negative or paper print would be one thing, but taking a digital image and turning it into a film frame or a negative or whatever is too much. I’d consider it falling under the “Compositional changes that involve adding or removing elements of the photo are bad. ” and “Removing or adding compositional objects or textures via cloning or copying”…if you’re actively adding film-type frames or inverting to create the effect of a film negative, then at that point, it becomes a compositional change that adds elements to the photo.

U-Man
    Participant

I tried some tonight. Not great, but sort of cool. I’ll probably use one.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I tried some tonight. Not great, but sort of cool. I’ll probably use one.

Not that it’s any of my business, but I kinda thought that if something could be done in camera, it was allowable, especially if it’s an illusion or trick… I mean, the Forced Perspective contest is all about that, for one thing.

I’ve got a “trick” shot I’m working on… my first few experiments have been “meh” or “bleah” but I can see progress so I’m gonna keep working on it… it’s for a hoppered contest so I’m kinda being vague on purpose.

Just my thoughts… I’m new here, so you can feel free to ignore me

olavf
    Participant

Yugoboy They’re talking about fitting the theme for the contest – as a general rule pretty much anything that can be done ‘in camera’ is kosher.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Yugoboy They’re talking about fitting the theme for the contest – as a general rule pretty much anything that can be done ‘in camera’ is kosher.

I guess I mis-understood the original question, then. Sorry.

olavf
    Participant

No worries. I do that all.the.time =P

Uranus
    Participant

errrrm…. a portal to the tummy? how would that fly ? (couldn’t get a shot all the way thru to the pooper)

example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/discover_uranus/6028418369/

zincprincess
    Participant

I’m assuming that the portals can be occupied by animals / humans or unoccupied. Correct me if I’m wrong.

orionid
    Participant

Yugoboy – What Olavf said.
    Uranus – It goes from one place to another, it’s in. (I think the back door would be NSFFark, though)
    Zincprincess – Fact.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • The topic ‘08-10-11 – A Portal Through’ is closed to new replies.